Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-06, 09:16 PM   #1
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lew Childre Speed Spool BB1 LE

well I got the reel today. this reel has never seen line ! new condtion. I called a place here in st.louis that has been in tackle business since 1959 and talked to their tech. and he remembers them well, but couldn't recall the line capacity he was guessing 110 yard of 10 lb. test. I tlaked to him for awhile and he was kinda down on the new speed spools he called them "glorified" zebcos; a shadow of what the old speed spools were. I recall a FLW event from 1997 where a guy one an event using one. the anouncer was saying he never saw a guy use such an old reel to win an event. the pro that won said he bought 2 of them years ago when he was a kid and had a hard time learning how to use it then tossed them in a draw. he brought them back out and got the technique down. the reel has a V spool.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 07:50 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If I remember right , the LE stood for limited Edition, You got a hardwood presentation case with a certificate stating your reel was number whatever out of a limited production number of reels.They later tried the same thing with a anniversary reel and then the David Fritts signature reels with a autographed signatured certificate. Other than that and a different colored emblem, they are the same except for the centrifugal weights changed.The older ones had big brown colored bakelite weights that were only one size. I remember alot of guys buying extra weight sets and filing them to change them to throw certain weighted lures better.The newer reels weights seem about half the size .As far as I know all of Lew Childre's reels had the V spool. He got killed in a accident in 1972 if I remember correctly, Zebco bought Lews and have owned the company every since. The Laser models Lews and the Low profile BB3 & BB6 seres were a Zebco reel , not Lews.Lews did make a BB1LM reel, it was a low profile magnetic reel, but the low profile wasn't that much lower than the original design. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-06, 11:19 AM   #3
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Pig n Jig. The reel is a light edtition and it holds 120 yds. of 10 lbs. mono. the size as you say it is not all that small it has a little higher
profile. has only two ball bearings and no magnetic control. my reel came N.I.B. even the drag was backed all the way off, the drag is awesome ! its definitely a "meat & potatoes casting reel nothing fancy at all about it. came in a cardboard box. Lew Childre died in a plane crash in 78 his own private plane by himself. the BPS David Fritts reel is about the same size as this reel, the BPS Fritts reel is very well made and has the "gear slop" in the 4.7 retrieve only the high speed model has "super stopper". I'll be fishing both later today.
Old 04-01-06, 12:11 PM   #4
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

Pig n Jig you were dead on ! The LE is that "suped" up version of the BB1N ; the lifetime warranty with the ruby line guide. mines the BB1L . you know your stuff !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-06, 09:03 PM   #5
pig n jig

Sluggo, Thanks for correcting me.Its been so long,couldn't remember when he died,or even remember if it was a plane crash.One time I knew alot about Lews reels, they were a great workhorse type reel.In my opinon they were one of the best reels made in their day.I often wonder what changes Lew Childre would have made to his reel design, if he didn't get killed? I remember Lew Childre designed and installed the magnetic/spool hub system in a reel, before the more refined magnetic / spool hub system that Daiwa installed in their reels.Daiwa spool shape is very simular to the V spool as well. If you don't have any, buy yourself some Quantum hot sauce reel oil.Its great stuff, it will help that old lews out on the casting distance.I recommend putting the hot sauce in a plastic ziplock bag with the original top on it after each use with the needle oiler top in a separate ziplock bag. The oil bottle bleeds out as it sits.I made the mistake of leaving it on the bookself, had a puddle of hot sauce on the shelf even with the top on it.I thought maybe it was the bottle , but I have had a couple of new bottles since and they're all like the first one, messy. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 02:40 PM   #6
Sluggo
BassFishin.Com Member

right again ! about that V Spool ; Daiwa is the reel co. that uses it. I see it on an all black Hi-Speed reel that has been around for very long time don't know the model I'm not a Daiwa user, its been around so long it has to have a good rep. in booklet I got with my BB1L it says this about the V Spool "the "V" design releases a maximum amount of line at the beginning of the cast while the lure velocity is at its greatest. As the lure velocity decreases the "V" design automatically reduces the available line to leave the spool oer revolution. This automatic reduction acts similar to a spool speed governor. The governing action virtually eliminates backlash. when the cast control is properly adjusted". Who know PNJ it might just be more "ju ju" magic, but I think it works. I used it yesterday at a series of small lime pits close to me and it hurls my crankbaits a mile. Thanks for tip on Hot Sauce ! Tight Lines !!!!!!!
Old 06-24-07, 06:59 PM   #7
reel cool 2
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lew Childre BB-1 spool shape

A readers question was in regard to the Lew's Speed Spools having a V-spool. To my best knowledge the RYOBI made Speed Spools had it.
Shimano made did not. The RYOBI line could offer it in U Spool or V Spool.

I hope this information will be helpful in making a reel selection.
reel cool 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 11:24 AM   #8
Imagican
BassFishin.Com Member

Just a tad of info. The Lew's reels were made with the V-spool and the U-spool.

MEC
Imagican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 11:24 AM   #9
Imagican
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, and a Lew's that I own is made by Shimano.

MEC
Imagican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 07:24 AM   #10
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been bass fishing since I can remember . The first "good " bc I bought was a Lews BB1N . I fished with Tampa Pro bass for 15 years with 4 of them . That helps me change rigs and still have the same feel which ever one I pick up . I still use one of them . I have a hard time finding them . I got my last 3 reals from BPS about 10 years ago . They seem to last forever with me . I have nothing but good to say about them . Nothing fancy , just a good , well built real .
Keep on crankin , Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 06:27 PM   #11
Bob Smith

I have a BB-1NG and BB1NGH that I bought about 4 -5 years ago and use the living daylights out of them. I had two fo the original Lews BB1N witht he V spools that I used for over twenty years before I finally retired them (ended up selling them to a close friend who was collecting them). I Loved the orginals and I love the ones I have now.
Old 07-17-09, 01:14 PM   #12
Mikeh423
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lews Speed Spools

I have two Lews Speed Spools. One is a BB-1 and the other is a BB-1L. I've seen a number of comments on the BB-1 but no mention of the BB-1L. Can anyone give me some background on it? When it was introduced? How does it stack up against the BB-1? etc?? Thanks
Mikeh423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 02:38 PM   #13
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a few...

not sure of the real differance between the bb1n and the bb1l- i have both.

zooker
Old 12-18-10, 07:55 AM   #14
pcpainkiller

Wink lews childre speedspool bb-1le

does anyone know if this is a collectable reel and what its worth. I've got a brand new one, can't find out much about it. please holler at me. thanks!
Old 12-18-10, 07:56 AM   #15
pcpainkiller

can be emailed at pcpainkiller@live.com

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.