Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-15-12, 11:39 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Fishing Log???

Watterboy's smallie post sparked this thread and question for me: I've noticed on this site and others that many have a total count for LMB's, smallies, etc caught for the season. PB's and when you/they break a personal best.

Question: Do you all keep a log of your catches, what I mean by log is a physical log (e.g. small notebook or something your takcle box/boat)?

It doesn't seem out of the ordinary, I do the same thing in the gym, I just never thought about doing it for fishing and was wondering if that's how you all keep track.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 12:36 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well if you don't CATCH any fish (like me,lol) oyu don't keep a log. hahaha.
Old 09-15-12, 12:42 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am a total spreadsheet nerd and use them all the time at work and for various fantasy football/baseball leagues I've been in for many years, so that carries over to fishing for me. I have pre-printed "scoresheets" that I have with me in the boat at all times. I track the following: date, person, species, weight, length, girth, lure, time of day (the actual time like 9:34 am, not just "morning", location (on "our" lake) and water temp (weight, length and girth are optional and only recorded for the "good" fish). When I get back from an outing, it takes just a few minutes to transfer it from my handwritten notes into my spreadsheet. Since I have a 7 month off-season, i usually spend a bunch of time "slicing & dicing" my data during the winter...not for any real specific purpose, but just because I enjoy it. Since we have lots of guests up at our cabin with us over the course of the summer, I print out various recaps of what has been caught and put them in a 3-ring binder and guests enjoy paging through that to see how they stand in comparison to everyone else. We also have 2 fishing leader boards, one for all-time cabin records and one for the current year, hanging in our "game room" building. We have 8 different species that people can "get on the board" for, and everyone loves it...even those who don't fish much like to get competitive about it! I don't put my name on the current year board to make it more fun for our guests since it gives them a much better chance to "make the board". I just note my best for each species by the species name so they can compare to my best for the year.

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 02:03 PM   #4
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do keep a log but I don't count how many fish I catch. I fish tournaments all over the midwest and a log really helps if I haven't been to a lake for a few years. I'm not as technical as some, I keep all mine on paper.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 09:51 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I don't bother with a log book, insead I keep everything in my head, with my magnificinent memory

what was the question?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 12:50 AM   #6
USMCbassman

As I kind of expected- different strokes for different folks.

WB- I could see where what would you do would come in very handy.

Same with Skeeter too....
Old 09-16-12, 05:01 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

I like to keep a log, have been for years. Some years more detailed than others but always the basics like date-water temp-wind-depth-speed-location-count-water level & clarity. As a matter of fact the reason I'm up here on the computer this early is to do a little last minute checking on the last few years results for this date/water temp for the lake I'm about to fish. Helps me form a confident plan and decide what to have tied on when I start. I'm no "spreadsheet nerd" but I do see benefits from my amateur "statistical analysis and data configuration"

Speaking of the weather what weather app or site do yall use? About a year ago I started using http://www.wunderground.com/. Way way better than anything I've used before. If you haven't tried it you should.
Old 09-16-12, 09:16 AM   #8
woody

I write stuff down on my desktop calander: name of lake, #'s and type of fish(including lenght and weight), and which baits peformed better.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 10:09 AM   #9
Dogmatic

Some really awesome fishing log apps for Iphone and Droid smart phone users...but I don't use one.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 01:01 PM   #10
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bassresource.com has a free fishing log you can print off.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 08:29 PM   #11
WatterBoy

This thread shows the kind of dumb stuff I like to do with my numbers during my off-season. I have a similar 3-year colorized spreadsheet so I can look at a side-by-side comparison of 2009, 2010 and 2011. I'll add 2012 numbers to it this winter. I can look at it and see that I caught just over 40% of my bass in both 2009 & 2010 on wacky-rigged senkos, but that number dropped to 8.8% last year when I started using a Zoomie (54.6%) and jig & pig (10.3%) for the first time ever. I have no idea why, but I really enjoy just looking at numbers like that.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 10:02 PM   #12
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
This thread shows the kind of dumb stuff I like to do with my numbers during my off-season. I have a similar 3-year colorized spreadsheet so I can look at a side-by-side comparison of 2009, 2010 and 2011. I'll add 2012 numbers to it this winter. I can look at it and see that I caught just over 40% of my bass in both 2009 & 2010 on wacky-rigged senkos, but that number dropped to 8.8% last year when I started using a Zoomie (54.6%) and jig & pig (10.3%) for the first time ever. I have no idea why, but I really enjoy just looking at numbers like that.
I wouldn't call it dumb. For you it makes sense and helps prepare for the next spring/summer/fall at the cabin. It seems that your primarily fish the one BOW your cabin is on therefore it is worthwhile effort.

If I lived or had a cabin on a lake I would probably do something similar. I, too, enjoy numbers/math.
Old 09-18-12, 10:57 AM   #13
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't keep a log, but if I fished tournaments I would so that I could look back on what worked in a certain lake when fishing it again. I fish weekends for enjoyment, and so I really have no desire to make a job out of it. HOWEVER, if I was new to bass fishing, or any other type of fishing, I would strongly suggest keeping a detailed log including date, weather and water conditions, temp, ect and what patterns and lures/retrieves worked or didn't work. A new fisherman can look back at his log and start to learn whats working best under certain conditions.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.