Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-06-12, 12:07 PM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Clear water

Looks like my Saturday trip is to a very clear pond. I am thinking going small lures with light line after a little sunrise topwater action. I will be fishing small worms, or lizards, small crankbaits & roadrunners. Any other suggestions?
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 07:19 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

shaky head, dead sticking a wacky worm should be good fred.
Old 12-06-12, 08:00 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As a self proclaimed clear water "expert" I'd agree with all your choices. I'd also recommend using the lightest line you can get away with. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a light finesse jig tied on as well. Finally you might find some fish interested in a topwater bait between 12-3. I'm guessing as far south as you are water is still in mid-high 50's+ so sometimes this time of year as the water warms up after lunch......pm can be better than am. Good Luck

Oh Yeah....natural-bait colored-match the hatch stuff is more important in clear cold water than stained.
Old 12-06-12, 08:25 PM   #4
MIbasser

Just wondering, but why would you want to go with "small lures"? Are you trying to catch small fish? I think a lot of people have a way different perception of "clear" water then I do. When I hear the term clear water, I think of what we have in Michigan. On a nice sunny day you can see bottom in 20'+ of water. I use 10+ FC and braid and have no issues catching fish. I've never thought about going to a 4 or 6lb line because I was afraid the fish would see it.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 09:10 PM   #5
Bassboss

Always hard to beat a wacky rig senko in them conditions. The supple action is often just the ticket in clear water! If the water's warm enough, and 1/4 spinnerbait with smallish willow blades and a natural colored skirt is often good if they're scrutinizing your presentation to much.
Old 12-06-12, 09:59 PM   #6
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Just wondering, but why would you want to go with "small lures"? Are you trying to catch small fish? I think a lot of people have a way different perception of "clear" water then I do. When I hear the term clear water, I think of what we have in Michigan. On a nice sunny day you can see bottom in 20'+ of water. I use 10+ FC and braid and have no issues catching fish. I've never thought about going to a 4 or 6lb line because I was afraid the fish would see it.

I mostly pond fish and have noticed considerable difference in strikes with heavy line v. light line in gin clear water. I probably will be fishing 4 & 6 pound test. Heavier lures do not work well with outfits designed for lighter lines. I am not holding a lot of faith in catching bass but the pond also has Crapppie so a mixed bag is a real possibility.
Old 12-06-12, 10:48 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Of course Fred is right about using light line to throw small lures, but your question raises other deeper issues. Let's start by agreeing that "clear" water can be defined as having a minimum of 10+ ft of visibilty. It's my belief that if two equally talented fisherman are fishing from the same boat and for the same cold clearwater fish, that the angler throwing small baits on light line will get more bites/catch more fish than the angler throwing bigger baits on 12-14 lb FC or 20-40 lb braid. Will the latter catch bigger fish? Possibly, but certainly not a lock. I guess it also depends on your goals, does Fred want to go out Sat and get bit often and have some fun or is he looking for a PB?
Old 12-06-12, 11:02 PM   #8
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Of course Fred is right about using light line to throw small lures, but your question raises other deeper issues. Let's start by agreeing that "clear" water can be defined as having a minimum of 10+ ft of visibilty. It's my belief that if two equally talented fisherman are fishing from the same boat and for the same cold clearwater fish, that the angler throwing small baits on light line will get more bites/catch more fish than the angler throwing bigger baits on 12-14 lb FC or 20-40 lb braid. Will the latter catch bigger fish? Possibly, but certainly not a lock. I guess it also depends on your goals, does Fred want to go out Sat and get bit often and have some fun or is he looking for a PB?
I certainly am not going expecting to catch a wallhanger in gin clear water on a small pond. This pond does have some good fish in it but they are well educated or they would not be big fish. I will be using 12 to 14 pound line for topwater bite early. If I get a good bite it will be on topwater.
Old 12-07-12, 09:09 AM   #9
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Pointer 78 or 65 in a "ghost" color, also 3" - 4" grubs both boot-tail and curly-tail green pumpkin and pearl. Roadrunners are a great call.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 12:27 AM   #10
AUFred

Water was extremely clear and very cold. Caught a few dinks.
Old 12-21-12, 02:04 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Fred, all I would add is use natural, probably darker colors-green pumpkin, watermelon candy, etc.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.