Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-10, 04:46 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Okay...the mission for tomorrow is.....

Jig, Tube, T-Rig...whatever it takes to work on my open water, deep techniques. I'm heading to Patoka, and though it will be bluebird skies (as usual ), it is only supposed to be 5 mph wind or less.

So as soon as any morning topwater bite I find is over, I am going to the deep humps and ledges I have marked, and I am going to work them the way I have been wanting to...I might even bust out a Litle Cleo and jig that for a spell. I'll just have to get used to swiveling my HB around to view from the bow, and stick tight to my GPS marks.

I'm learning that in order to develop some of these other presentations, I am going to have to abandon my favorite styles when the opportunity presents itself.

(I'll still probably troll some cranks around lunch when it gets so darned hot. )

Hopefully, tomorrow evening, I will have some success to report.
Old 07-09-10, 04:52 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good luck Bryce. I need to learn to fish deep as well. Maybe you can teach me the ways...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 04:54 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Sound likes a solid game plan...I expect a GREAT report!
keep a slow moving c-rig on the brain if you start running out of ideas!
Good luck!
Old 07-09-10, 05:36 PM   #4
Jrob78

Sounds like a fun challenge to take on! Good luck!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 05:56 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

To force yourself to stick with the gameplan, take every other lure out of your boat. Keep the topwaters you want, and the jigs, tubes, etc. Throw out all the spinnerbaits, shallow crankbaits, and whatever else you don't plan on using.
Old 07-09-10, 07:26 PM   #6
keithdog

Good luck tomorrow Bryce. I'm heading out up here too in the AM and we have the same darn weather. My game plan is pretty much similar to yours. Going to work a plastic t rigged worm around the deep weed edges after the topwater action dies. Have some deep cranks as always ready to go as well.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 07:31 PM   #7
Bassboss

Sounds like a plan to me! I'd also breakout a c-rig.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-10, 08:11 PM   #8
bamabassman

i agree with mb here. but................i just can't seem to force myself to take everything outta my boat. so i guess i am gonna have to learn some self discipline.

good luck bryce! hope oyu get a hawg man.
Old 07-09-10, 09:54 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i agree with mb here. but................i just can't seem to force myself to take everything outta my boat. so i guess i am gonna have to learn some self discipline.

good luck bryce! hope oyu get a hawg man.
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	5518

bamas go to lure--never leaves his boat
Old 07-09-10, 09:55 PM   #10
bamabassman

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh yessssss. SON!!
Old 07-09-10, 10:41 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Attachment 5518

bamas go to lure--never leaves his boat
ROTFLMAO...That picture never gets old!
Old 07-09-10, 10:56 PM   #12
Bender

Don't be afraid to throw a marker buoy out on some deeper structure. It makes it easier for me to maintain boat position instead of watching the waypoints and then going the wrong direction with the TM trying to get back on them! I'll drive really slowly over a spot with the big motor and drop the buoy and then stop a little past and turn around and fish it. My biggest problem is with cranks and stuff I always get hung up in the cord.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 11:09 PM   #13
islandbass

Best of luck to you Bryce. I myself am getting around to the jig this season and hopefully the tube. Given those conditions, and if I weren't already familiar with it, I would add a drop shot set up as my final contingency rig if your options don't work out. I dislike going home skunked. It's almost amazing how the DS can pull through. Open water and deep screams drop shot to me, but what do I know about drop shotting?
Old 07-09-10, 11:09 PM   #14
nofearengineer

That's a great idea, Bender. I'll finally get some use out of those expensive as hell Lindy marker buoys I bought last year.

(Well, other than marking dropped fishing rods. )
Old 07-10-10, 12:27 AM   #15
bassinbob

Have a great day nofear. Have a slight problem dropping rods overboard now do we? Thank goodness I've only done it in shallow water.
Old 07-10-10, 07:51 AM   #16
Jim80

Good luck on the water Bryce .

Jim
Old 07-10-10, 03:16 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Well, shoot....I got sidelined today with being a bit sick. However, I am feeling better, and since the boat and fishing tackle are already set up, I'm going to just use it as an excuse to go out even earlier tomorrow, and work on my early morning topwater stuff too. Lemons to lemonade.

Oh, and Alex, the drop shot is a GIVEN. I actually keep my drop shot rod in my truck at all times, just in case I want to hit the local pit after work without going home.

I'm leaving at 2AM, and I'll probably stay til about 9PM. It should be a bass catchin' marathon.
Old 07-10-10, 03:26 PM   #18
bassboogieman

Quote:
I'm leaving at 2AM, and I'll probably stay til about 9PM. It should be a bass catchin' marathon
Those days are over for me............. oh to be YOUNG again.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 03:27 PM   #19
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Go luck to ya Bryce!!!

The better half and myself will heading out around 8ish tonight, and stay till Sunday evening again, I'm sure.

I casted one last weekend, and said, here ya go Zooker, and brought back one close to 15”. You talk about goosebumps!

Last edited by bassfisher; 07-10-10 at 03:33 PM.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 03:38 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Those days are over for me............. oh to be YOUNG again.
Hey...I'm 42, not so young. Believe me, I will be in bed EARLY tonight, so as to survive tomorrow. Heck...if I get too tired, I'll just come home, though I doubt that will happen. Fishing is one of the two things in life that I will gladly stay up past my bedtime for. (and no, the other is not Jay Leno )
Old 07-10-10, 03:55 PM   #21
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hey...I'm 42, not so young. Believe me, I will be in bed EARLY tonight, so as to survive tomorrow. Heck...if I get too tired, I'll just come home, though I doubt that will happen. Fishing is one of the two things in life that I will gladly stay up past my bedtime for. (and no, the other is not Jay Leno )
Dang Bryce, you're barely dry behind the ears man at 42, add 10 to that and ya got me!! haha Still kicking, just not as high.

Last edited by bassfisher; 07-10-10 at 04:20 PM.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 08:02 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Well, I had a decent time, but caught no fish. I worked on my mechanics a lot (not a single "professional overrun" in 8 hours...that was nice).

I took Bender's recommendation and used my marker buoys. I found a really cool submerged river channel bend in 40' of water, and set my 3 marker buoys out about 250 yds apart (they get fun to see in the pleasure boat wakes at that distance), and proceeded to fish the heck out of it. I picked this spot because the slight wind really worked in my favor. It pushed me along and across my line, and I would just use the trolling motor to move back to the front of it. So I got a nice zig-zag going, working 40'-50' deep, for about 500 yds. If there had been fish there, I would have been all over them. (Eternal optimists are so pathetic, eh? )

However, the only thing I caught was yet another visit from the DNR guys. Man, they are really getting on my nerves. Let's see, I have an almost one-of-a-kind boat, I wear the same clothes, and I'm not really what you would call "everyman." Yes, officer...I still have the same license and life jackets you checked two, four, and six weeks ago. Thanks for interrupting my fishing, you jerks.

I think my execution was okay...I was just fishing where there weren't any fish.

Anyway, I think at the very least, I know I can use these techniques in the future, and they will pay off.

I just got home and found out that Netherlands got completely a$$-raped by the referee in the World Cup...I knew I hated sports for a reason.
Old 07-11-10, 10:37 PM   #23
bamabassman

tae it easy on the water cops bryce. they are just doing their job pal,hahaha. sorry ya didn't catch anything, but hery...you weren't driving nails like i have been all weekend. and you got some things worked out right? look on the bright side buddy.

and who in the heck cares about the world cup? bwahahahaha! not long before the REAL games start.
Old 07-11-10, 10:40 PM   #24
Ebbetsguy

Hey glad you got out for some time, and you had fun. i hope you feel better, summer colds are hard to shake.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 07:19 AM   #25
keithdog

Hope you get'em next time Bryce. Funny thing about the DNR. Last two years they have been all over me. I was a bit unorganized before, always searchin for all the registrations, licences, etc whenever they came by which was too often. Now this year I have everything ready for them all in one place. Actually 3 places. A copy of all required paperwork in each tackle bag and my glove compartment in my truck, and not a single DNR officer yet this year. Grrrrrrrrrr
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.