Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-30-11, 01:30 PM   #26
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Another reason to use weedless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
Great words and I will practice till perfect
You can be pretty fearless with weedless plastics, so they are a great bait to use while you are gaining confidence in your accuracy. In fact, tossing a fluke (or Senko, or similar) over an overhanging branch and then pulling it back so it gently falls into the water from 2', vs. a splashdown at the end of a cast is one of my favorite tricks in shallow water.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:35 PM   #27
Mumpy

The Bass you see in my Profile is the result of the exact way you mention DaveW
Old 06-30-11, 02:51 PM   #28
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

as everyone in the forum seems to say, my wallet is hurtin cause of this site, lol all great info
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 03:56 PM   #29
DaveW731

Default Gotta fish together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
The Bass you see in my Profile is the result of the exact way you mention DaveW
Mumpy: Sounds like you and me should get together and give our young apprentice Mr Wally some live, on the water demonstrations sometime. BTW: Thank you for your service. I know that freedom is NOT free.
Old 06-30-11, 04:20 PM   #30
Mumpy

Dave, Thank you but to be honest, it was fun as hell and an honor to serve. I appreciate it none the less.
Old 06-30-11, 04:59 PM   #31
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am catfisherman, always have been and it is the best to me, wich go me into ultralite fishing for bait, which landed me catching a big bass and having a heck of a fight. Now i am getting into bassin, when i was 13-15 use to bass fish with my uncles and catch ones like we was pros on tv.

Now i try to use stuff i did long ago and fail to catch them, so here comes the boat load of questions

1. fishing a tiny fluke, wht size hook, also i see people mostly use wide gap,. on flukes best way to fish is.. weightless, let the fall like a dead fish and twitch them, fish fast near surface or fish with a weighted hook and slow retreve.

Not sure about a tiny fluke, but when I use a super fluke (the size most people use for bass), I use a 4/0 EWG superline hook. It's pretty easy to use them, cast them out over some grass or some type of cover, let the sink, give the a few twitches, let em sink, etc. I like the thicker superline hook because it lets the flukes sink faster.

2. will the pre-made carolina rigs work, i usally use tesas (i guess with just letting weight slide)

I'd forget about using carolina rigs for now. I personally don't find them all that useful. And I wound't get the pre-made ones either. They're hardly ever made of good stuff. Like Mumpy said it's better when you can chose your own bead, hook, line, swivel, etc. If you want to fish plastics, get some 6" curly tail worm, and some zoom trick worms. Texas rig them with a 3/16 oz bullet weight and a 2/0 or 3/0 off set hook (you can use wide gap, but I like offset hooks better). Search around on the forum for tips on texss rigs.

3. 90% of the time i am stuck to the shore, so do i fish the dock then walk and fish around it.

Me too. Don't let that stop you though. You can catch plenty off bass from shore. Search the forum for tip on fishing from shore. What ever you do, DON'T STAY IN THE SAME SPOT FOR LONG. If you don't catch fish the first few casts to an area, they're probably not there. Don't wast your time fishing dead water.

4. on fishing buzz baits, do i start reeling as it hits the water, maybe i am using a lighter pole for it( 6 ft. lightning rod) and it seems to take half the cast to get it to the top, or do i reel it real fast.

Try reeling right before it hits the water. Reel fast to get them up, then just reel them fast enough to keep them on top of the water. Note: Buzzbaits are not spinnerbaits, don't try using them sub-surface. I see a lot of beginners do this and it drives me mad, lol.

5. i have all the bask (best?) worm colors (pumpkin-chartrouse-motor oil-red bug-june bug) so my question i get confused on for clear water, dark colors? and stained/muddy it is bright colors???

Clear water: Natural colors like pumpkin, green pumpkin, motor oil, work well for me. Red shad has also worked for me. Murky or stained water. Colors that they can see a little better, reds, blacks, and lighter colors seem to work. But I don't really like fishing soft plastics in murky water. IMO their are much better options. I personally don't put all that much thought into color selection when I fish a worm, IMO a lot of people over think color

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-30-11 at 05:05 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 09:19 PM   #32
wallywallace

more great info, yea when it come to fishing on shore i use max at 4 casts, then move on then on way back to the car, i re-fish the spot i think bass should be.

Mumpy, i will kill to fish when somone that new bassin or heck had a boat, lol, only 2 people in my family have boat and really dont use them.

also a the last question i can think of,I would like to try is wading.. i know to walk soft, but the place were i bank fish is got a super nice cove with coverage galore including a nice point that goes off into i guess i'd cal it a flat, no way to get to or cast to, i know wading might spook, what yalls opnions.
Old 06-30-11, 11:15 PM   #33
bamabassman

wade in there man. jsut keep an eye out for those slithering fellers. snakes are silent killers. especially cotton mouths.
Old 07-01-11, 08:32 AM   #34
wallywallace

well it would kill you to know i am a snake breeder while i am collage, nothing poisonous but have handled cobras. also bamabass, there isn't any cotton mouths in North Carolina, we have a few water snakes and copperheads that swim. alot of people swear there are cotton mouths, maybe further south but not in my neck of the woods. also thank you on the help, i will be wading after the 4th
Old 07-01-11, 10:50 AM   #35
DaveW731

Default No thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
wade in there man. jsut keep an eye out for those slithering fellers. snakes are silent killers. especially cotton mouths.
Much as I envy your big Southern Bass, I will be ever grateful for living in a state without cottonmouths when I pull on my waders
Old 07-01-11, 11:06 AM   #36
wallywallace

yea, thank god none in my area as well, i do know sitting at night cattin it seems the snkaes are attracted to the LED light in my lanterns, no joke the swim up to it then notice there is danger(me)
Old 07-02-11, 09:01 PM   #37
wallywallace

well, iwent out on a small spending spree, got me a pflegur(spelling?) baitcaster with a 7 gear ratio and a new pole, got a few more jigs, a couple mico pond magic buzzbaits some more tiny flukes and some berkly havoc and a crzy legs. so a few more small questions.

this is probably over due but what do bearing do, make it smoother? also on the berkly crawls, i was talking to a guy and he said he texas rigs them or uses them as backing on jigs and use them with a weedless jig head. what is the best, or do they all have there place, I looked every were at gander and couldn't find the weedless jug heads, they do make them don't they? thank you again
Old 07-02-11, 10:36 PM   #38
bamabassman

more bearings do make the reel smoother. but the packaging can be missleading. it can say 9 bearings, but have 5 in one,4 in another area. total of 9 see? research is the key on reels. there are some guys here that can steer you in the right direction on reels. give oyu all the specs you can handle.

and yes there is a place for each and every type of configuration on all plastics. don't let it get too confusing. take it one step at a time. learn as oyu go so to speak. you'll ge the hang of it pretty quick. some plastics oyu can use several different ways, alone, as a spinner trailer, jig traile, shaky head, wacky rigged. very versital thing ....plastics.

if oyu can't find it at gander, try bass pro, tackle warehouse and others.

as for the cottonmouths, i too hate em with a passion. when we lived down near the coast (mobile/gulfshore area) there are some bigger than my arm. up here, not so many. also down there are gators. they really didn't bother me as much as the snakes. lol
Old 07-02-11, 11:07 PM   #39
wallywallace

alright hank you, i remember when i saw a gator on my lake, made big news since they are not around here, people claim it is stiil out there.. with the catfish as big as beetles lol
Old 07-04-11, 09:04 AM   #40
wallywallace

also whatd oes EWG, stand for, gonna go get some hooks, i suppose one part is wide gap
Old 07-04-11, 09:21 AM   #41
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Extra Wide Gap... I fish the 3/0 and 4/0 Gamakatsu for all of my texas riggin
Old 07-04-11, 02:34 PM   #42
wallywallace

alright, so with all i hear is that, doesn any one use the regular offset and more
Old 01-31-12, 12:18 PM   #43
olboy4
BassFishin.Com Member

Wally,
Don't listen to any one particular fisherman you talk to. Talk to as many as you can and try to listen to everyone's advice. Make notes and use everything that everyone says and make notes again on what works for you. It will help to to find and develop your own techniques. It sounds kind of nerdy but in a few years when you look back or someone asks you a question you will have everything you have learned and taught yourself in one spot. Also for gear. Read Reviews and once you find one you like try to read other reviews from the same guy to see his style. I always look for something that has 50+ reviews and research a good amt before looking in the stores.

Mumpy is 100% on casting. The lighter you can lay that bait in the water especially when you are fishing cover or in easy spooking conditions the more likely you are to trigger a reaction strike when that bait goes near that bass.

Don't be afraid to change things up. If you aren't getting a bite for a while try a different bait.

Personally I go for the mid range Rods. 60-110$
Abu Garcia vendetta, BP bionic blade, BP Carbon Black.
BassPro Reels to me are cheaper, just as well made as the high end reels, and have better warranties. You can find some great reels with 8+ berring reels with good brakes and smooth operation for 50-100 bucks that have the same specs as 200 reels of top name brand reels.

Never underestimate Amazon.com. I found my 6'6 MH Vendetta for 60$ I did have the chance to go to a Tackle shop and mess with one first. Trusting advice is good but, hands on testing is the best. Just like picking out a gun, you have to figure out what is most comfortable and works best with your abilities and style.

I prefer Texas Rigging, ( I have noticed that most Fisherman I talk to do not Carolina. I don't know why) and my go to is a original Berkley Power worm Blue fleck 1 offset gamakatsu (EWG's work 1-2/o I prefer the smaller strait hook for the worm). I have the other standard colors but for some reason that blue fleck works everywhere I have fished in IL, WI, MI, and IN. I have had a lot of luck also with Zoom Brush Hogs on a 2-3/o EWG.

I am mostly stuck to shore as well, another tip I got was to still try to cast along the shore line or on angles instead of just strait out to the middle of the pond. This will keep you in strike zones longer. hands on I have learned that the bigger flukes bring more bites and bigger fish.

I've used Mono my whole life. I like 14lb, and for lighter action 12lb, Green Trilene xl smooth casting I can pull fish out of the lilies and have caught in open water with it. I will admit that I am going to try Fluoro this year but I will still have Mono on most of my reels.

Last edited by olboy4; 01-31-12 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Forgot about line
olboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 03:09 PM   #44
wallywallace

jeeze my first post, anway thanks for adding, love reading anyones knowledge they are willing to give

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.