Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-13-12, 12:49 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Do you always, sometimes or rarely?

When fishing structure.
Your power fishing, scooting around pitching trees, logs, isolated grass clumps, laydowns whatever.
Do you stop at each find and pitch multiple angles, mutiple baits, multiple colors or multple speeds? If so, what do you consider multiple?
When to you decide your done with the crrent structure and move on?
Do you only do multiples if you catch a fish?
If yes, does it matter what kind of bite you get. (sometimes a hard or vicious strike may indoicate multiple fish competeing for forage)

Now I know no-one is going up to a dock and make a single pitch or cast, but I think you guys get what I'm asking. Especially you tournament folks with added time presure to your presentation plans.

I think alot of folks, me included, have a tendency to be thinking of the next closest structure similar too where I'm getting bites as opposed to maybe throughly investigating the one I'm on, especially if NOT getting immediate bites.

I know, alot of questions...answer them all, a few or none at all.
Have a great day all!
Old 02-13-12, 01:21 PM   #2
lilmule

Yes multiple casts different angles even at same angle ive gotten fish to eat it later than sooner possibly attracted them to it dunno.Have hung up gone in shallow to get my boat pards worm off a cypress knee,then he tossed back in as going out backwards and nailed a 17 incher,not two ft from the troller prop,with depth about 1 1/2 ft.
And one can eliminate some things in current they take the down side generally and at times eat a bait on the fall only once a pattern is found can eliminate most of what does not fall within it,thus saving time.pattern can be what they are holding on rocks,brush or trees sometimes holding on brush and avoiding trees,let them tell you by where you catch them at.Then omit whats immaterial.Here about mid morning it all can change and have to figure it out all over again ,but once set pattern is found then same as before.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 01:27 PM   #3
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

hahaha, i do not even know if i can remember all the variables that you put in here, but here goes on what i remembered you asking. as far as flipping or pitching a particular piece of cover, it depends on just how big that over might be, such as a complete downed tree to a stump. things like shade and current will help you in breaking down the cover before you even start to fish it. if you feel confident that a fish in there, by all means try a different lure. you always have to let the fish tell you what they want. one of the reasons that i have always liked fishing deep structures is because a lot of times you can see fish there on your electronics. when i am certain that there are fish on a structure, i run the gauntlet in lure presentations and types until i find the right combination. once you find that key, you will find that particular combination will work about anywhere elso you will fish that day, given you are working with fish the same depth. in the summer when you have a thermocline, fish being the same depth will be the case. yes, you are correct in thinking that sometimes you go off and leave a whole lot of fish behind because you were too impatient and went running off to another spot. even shallow fish can give you a very good indication of others being very close by the bite. usually when there are several fish shallow in a small area on a bank, when the bite they will be headed out for deeper water faster than you can blink an eye. lots of guys miss these fish because they are not caught up to the fish when they set the hook and never even touch the fish on the hookset. and, most will just keep whizzing on down the bank and pass over a limit of fish in a 20 ft. section of bank. listen to what the fish are telling you. hope this will make some sense.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 02:24 PM   #4
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I always take as much time as possible with any piece of structure I am fishing. Variables are how much time I have, if I'm fishing with a partner ect...but I fish a "spot", until I figure something out, or the fish tell me something, until I found that "spot on a spot", or what the pattern is. Even when I go out swimbait fishing, I always try multiple cast, but always try to make that first cast be the best one.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 02:41 PM   #5
Tavery5

I like to catch the easy fish first, I will make casts to the outside edges of the cover and try to pull the most agressive fish away from the cover without alarming any fish that may be in the heavier part. I will move on to other cover in the same area and try to pick off the easy fish first, I like to then come back and make casts into the heavier areas of the cover and fish it with many casts from different angles. It's funny how sometimes you will just about give up on a fish being there and make one more cast and hook up with a nice one.
Old 02-13-12, 05:22 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No, I don't throw every bait in my tackle bag at every piece of structure I come to. I generally have several rods rigged at the outset of a days fishing. As I'm working from structure to structure, I'll work a few baits that will work well in that type of structure. I might start by working a topwater, followed by a spinnerbait and then pitch a beaver into the heart of the structure. Different angles yes, different colors no. I'll change colors as the day progresses untill I feel confident I've found a color the bass seem to be reacting to. I'll try a couple different retrieves for each bait sometimes. But I won't spend a lot of time on any structure unless I'm very confident of that particular piece. Depending on the size of the structure, I may spend 5 minutes, or maybe 10 minutes. You can make a lot of casts in 10 minutes. I rarely spend more than 10 minutes unless I'm seeing some kind of action. It don't matter to me if it's a hard strike or a soft slurp. If I'm getting any interrest from the bass I'll hang around and try to figure out exactly what they want. Once I have done that, I'll look for more pieces of cover like the one I just had success on and try the same technique that worked at the previous piece. Thats called pattern fishing.
Old 02-13-12, 06:35 PM   #7
nobass

basically ditto on what was already said.
Old 02-13-12, 07:01 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

If the bank has a lot of the same cover, in this case laydowns. I will move along fairly fast hitting what I can on each laydown but not worrying about picking the bone clean until I catch a fish or two and am convinced that it's worth the time to slow down and work them over better. If I catch a few fish and decide to slow down I will then spend a lot of time on the laydowns and disect them until I have figured out if there is a key area that the fish are holding, like maybe they are in laydowns that are on areas with larger or smaller rock or maybe they are just in the outside of the tree or deep in the tree. Once I figure that out I will be able to buzz down the bank and only stop at the laydowns that fit my pattern.
Old 02-13-12, 08:31 PM   #9
bamabassman

to me it depends on the structure and how the day has gone as to how long i will "stay" on a piece of structure. if i really think there is something in there, i'll stay fro sometimes an hour. if not. 5 casts and i am outta there. if i stay the whole hour, it's because i will have thrown everything i thought would get a strike.
Old 02-13-12, 11:22 PM   #10
skeeter1804

If there are a bunch of targets I want to fish I have a tendancy to fish them too quickly but if there are very few I slow down and fish them more thoroughly. Multiple baits, not usually, I tend to throw a couple choices.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 07:58 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

For me it just all depends. However I will say that back in 82 or 83? I happened to be fishing Lake Seminole the same day that Jimmy Houston was filming a show. Strictly by chance we were fishing about 100 yds behind him, and I watched him throw a spinnerbait at a piece of structure no bigger than a bathtub 12-15-18? times before landing a nice fish. I never forgot that. What really struck me though was how smooth and precise his casting stroke was...just a little underhanded wrist-roll type. Very impressive
Old 02-14-12, 09:43 PM   #12
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If I have a lot of cover to fish I'll move pretty quickly, just making a cast or two at each target. If I get a pattern going or I have limited cover to fish I'll make several casts. I caught a nice 4 pounder last year out of a local lake that is very difficult on my lucky 13th pitch to the same laydown log.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:42 AM   #13
DVT Mike

It depends on conditions and how the day is going, but in general it is a good idea to make multiple casts to each piece of cover. I usually work from the outside in and use angles. Fishing from the back in tournies, I pick up quite a few fish hitting he back side of targets as the boat trolls past. Developing a good backhand cast helps here.
Old 02-16-12, 05:30 PM   #14
bassinbob

Laydowns I'll spend a lot of time on. Maybe 3 or 4 baits to pick them apart. Including t-rigs, spinnerbaits, cranks and swimbaits. Pads are another cover I disect.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.