Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-19-12, 06:13 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default what your fav hooks and what hooks for what

its snowing and i am not a fan, so i was looking at youtube vids, and then at bps, there is alot of dif types of hooks for differant thing.. so this is just a random thread, what hooks do you use and what is your fav. also seen the hooks that help your bait skip.. do they work, anyway opnions away
Old 02-19-12, 07:12 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Love a straight shanks worms hook for worms and lizards, and EWG for thicker creatures and weightless t-rigged senkos. The straight shank helps keep grass from catching on the little bends in off set, and EWG hooks.

Them skip gap hooks don't make your bait skip better, it's just suppose to hold them on the hook better when you are skipping them... and they work quite nicely might I add!

Been experimenting with different hooks for wacky rigged senkos, got a bunch of circle octopus hooks to try this year, I think the oughta work pretty well.
Old 02-19-12, 07:18 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I don't fish a ton of plastics so I don't often buy hooks.
When I do it's mostly 2 types. EWG for most plastic baits, and circle or octopus hooks for wacky riggin.
Oh, and I'm trying out vmc spin shot hooks for drop shotting this year
Old 02-19-12, 08:10 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I don't fish a ton of plastics so I don't often buy hooks.
When I do it's mostly 2 types. EWG for most plastic baits, and circle or octopus hooks for wacky riggin.
Oh, and I'm trying out vmc spin shot hooks for drop shotting this year
I bought a pack of those (#1) yesterday and while I like the concept, the wire/spin/non-hook part looks awfully flimsy and thin. I've seen stouter pubic hair
Old 02-19-12, 08:30 PM   #5
bassinbob

I like the Zoom frog hooks for horny toads. I mostly use gammy hooks for everything else. I also bought some of the VMC spin hooks. I don't do much drop shotting but I think these will make it a lot easier.
Old 02-19-12, 08:32 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I bought a pack of those (#1) yesterday and while I like the concept, the wire/spin/non-hook part looks awfully flimsy and thin. I've seen stouter pubic hair

Yeah. Chicks really should shave. They'd get more attention
I've got them in 2 sizes now.
2s for panfish and 2/0 for Bass
Old 02-19-12, 08:46 PM   #7
wallywallace

i got some owner twist lock hooks, look nice, and some mustads with the bar to hold the worms.. i am gonna get some dif. kinds this weekend at bps classic.. maybe get enough to fill my fto box
Old 02-19-12, 09:15 PM   #8
Jrob78

I use several different hooks for different things. I like Gamakatsu EWG's for a lot of plastics. I use Gammy Skip Gap hooks for beavers. I like Owner Twist locks for flukes. I've been using more offset shank worm hooks for standard worms and finesse worms. I also have some Trokar and Gammy flipping hooks with the keepers that I am going to try out this year. I like Gammy split shot/drop shot hooks for wacky rigging and drop shots.
Old 02-19-12, 09:36 PM   #9
Tavery5

I use a mix of hooks, Gammi EWG for most of my plastics with a few Owner Skip Gap hooks mixed in. I have the Daiichi Stand out hooks for the little dropshotting that I do. I have a hook for my tube baits made by Owner called a Phantom weighted tube hook, works very nice for tube type baits. I have several different types of shakey head hooks, the ones I use the most are called spot removers.

I have many more hooks that I have picked up here and there, and find it is nice to have a good assortment.
Old 02-19-12, 10:08 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use Owner hooks for almost all of my worming. Either the regular EWG w Cutting Point or Twist-Locks.

For dropshotting, I use Gamakatsu SS/DS hooks.

For jigs, I use my own jigs poured on Owner Cutting Point Hooks.

For treble hooks, Mustad KVD Triple Grips, VMC short shank trebles, or Owner ST-36.

For flipping and pitching plastics, I like the Gamakatsu Heavy Cover Flippin' Hook.

I think that sums it up.

BB
Old 02-19-12, 10:21 PM   #11
wallywallace

gonn get me some more EWG, to make a few jikas as well, they look like they will kill
Old 02-20-12, 03:01 PM   #12
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

most of your ewg hooks are bent after a kahle style pattern, and all have a bad problem. the problem is the pull line of the hook ends up right underneath the barb. this is a problem in losing fish. what happens is when a fish is swimming away from you it will hay hook the hook out of the mouth. all round bend hooks will put the pull line of the hook at the bottom of the bend, and further away from the barb. consequently this type of hook will stay locked into the fish better. the round bend actually has more strength in keeping the hook point and you pull line on hookset. this is because the round bend per wire diameter will not flex as easily in the throat of the hooks. you can do some really easy tests for yourself with a cardboard box lid, some line and your hooks.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 03:46 PM   #13
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use mostly EWG's with a mix between Trokars and Gamas.

I want to try some of those owner hooks with the twist locks or w/e their called.

Ya for those talking about those VMC dropshot hooks, I heard they work great but the swivel parts are real crappy and bend easily.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 05:28 PM   #14
wallywallace

lol wont use any more trokars, ater my free stash runs out(got everybody in my families email and adress so i got like 8 more pakes, they are nice but i dont see a big enough differance in these and the gamas and owners i use, also use eagle claws in just normal shank worm hooks.. also some new hooks i like are the VMC, used there wide gap and like em alot

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.