Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-20-05, 09:33 PM   #1
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default To all just getting started in bass fishing

There have been a lot of posts lately asking about rods, reels, baits, etc. which are great, but there has been one subject that hasn't come up probably because most people don't think about it.

That subject is hooks, or more specifically the sharpness of your hooks. Â*I think this is one of the most overlooked aspects of fishing, and is one of the most important. Â*

You often see posts asking why someone can't get a fish in on a worm or lose one on a topwater. Â*I'd be willing to bet they did everything right but were fishing with a dull hook.

Many years ago I tied on a Tiny Torpedo straight out of the box and threw it into an old gravel pit. Â*It looked like a toilet flushed under it when she hit, and she started pulling drag before the line went slack and the lure floated up to the surface. Â*It was then I checked the hooks only to find they were about as sharp as a ball peen hammer. Â*I learned that lesson the hard way.

Do yourself a favor: Â*Get a hook sharpener. Â*I use one made by EZ Lap (I think) that I got at WalMart for about $5. Â*It fits into a cap and will ride in your pocket like a pen. Â*Then check your hooks. Using just a small amount of pressure see if it digs into your fingernail. Â*If it digs in you are good to go. Â*If it just slides off your nail it needs to be sharpened.

I guarantee it can be the difference between catching that big 'ol good 'un and telling about the one that got away ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:54 PM   #2
redneck3004
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck3004
Default Re: To all just getting started in bass fishing

To add to your post Rebb, a couple of months ago I went fishing to "Loonkerland", man that lake has true monster fish in it, it´s our version of a kaliforny lake, catching an 8-12 pounder even though it´s not an everyday event it shure happens with enough frequency to put that lake in your sights, besides the lake is just a 2 hour drive, normally to find those big fish you have to travel to Mexico´s big bass mecas in the Gulf or Pacific coast, the closest one is 9 hours away. That day I had the "feeling", more, the place where it happened just talked to me saying " big momma is here right now ! " . Jigs are my favorite "tool" to ketch me a bigun, so I grabbed a jig added a trailer and made a cast, the cast was perfect, the location and the distance from a tree branch just barely above the water was perfect, everything was perfect, I just let the jig sink to the bottom, clunk, I lifted the rod tip and the jig made it´s dissapearing act, I "set" the hook and started fighting the fish, after 5 mins of a good fight and 10 ft from the boat the fish made a jump ( it was as big as a ham, that fish weighted 9 lbs with ease ) and the jig flew merrily towards me, hey what the ? ......... I reeled in the jig and arranged the trailer, as I arranged it I noticed that from all the jigs I carry around I just picked the only one with a dull hook, it´s a pretty stupid mistake beacuse I dressed the jig with the trailer and all my hooks are supposed to be "sharp", so no matter what you do always keep your hooks sharp, who knows, maybe you hook the fish of a lifetime and just loose it because you didn´t take the time to sharpen and check the sharpness of your hooks.
redneck3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 09:57 PM   #3
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey

already have reb sharpened all my hooks last night
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:02 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

we should make this about general newbie stuff...not just hook sharpening....so i'll throw something different out.....

[glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left,300][move]THERE AINT NO SUCH THING AS ''BEST'' IN BASS FISHING!!!!THERE JUST AINT!!!![/move][/shadow][/glow]

;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 10:29 PM   #5
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Good post Reb. It's funny how we can wrap so much money up in rod and reels and skimp on hooks.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 11:15 PM   #6
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Ok, I like to be frugal.

Find yourself a nice hard rock to sharpen hooks on.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:52 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

i found that out the hard way.
Old 06-21-05, 12:56 PM   #8
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I have to agree with the hard rock,, I have had the battery type sharpeners, and don't want to be caught on the water with a dead battery when I need a sharp hook. Many moons ago I got a stone with a grove in it for any size hook, that works on any hook, treble, spinnerbait, or worm.
Its the size of a pack of gum, doesn't take up any room at all an does the job for me,,only takes a few rubs on each side of the hook and its razor sharp 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 07:48 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i use a file kinda like rebs and i can tell ya them hooks is sharp.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.