Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-27-04, 03:14 PM   #1
djr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to djr
Default re- using plastics

I was just wondering about reusing plastic baits after either catching anything , or after changing to a different color or style of bait. I have noticed that some of the worms i have get hard after they have been wet.Is it o.k. to put them back in the bag with the rest , that is the ones that dont get stiff?

dawg
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:33 PM   #2
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw
Default Re: re- using plastics

There are ways to repair your used baits. The one method I know of is with a product called a "worm mizer" (site unknown). It is just like a welding rod that comes on when you push down on a switch. As far as worms stiffening up, never had this happen before. Tripple X plastics won't do this, they actually repair themselves. I don't really know whether worms stiffining up would Â*impare the action of other plastic baits. I wouldn't think that they would.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:39 PM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

you do not want to mix the triplex baits with other plastics. It will cause a reaction and all will be ruined. I have never had one get stiff and hard like that, so i would suggest putting it back in the bag and put you a few drops of Fish Formula in it to rehydrate it, and scent it up..

I repair worms by heating the end of a paper clip with a cig. lighter and melting the plastic around the tear.

Works, and cheap also..

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:47 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=dawg022002 link=board=news;num=1093630492;start=0#0 date=08/27/04 at 14:14:52] I was just wondering about reusing plastic baits after either catching anything , or after changing to a different color or style of bait. I have noticed that some of the worms i have get hard after they have been wet.Is it o.k. to put them back in the bag with the rest , that is the ones that dont get stiff?

dawg[/quote]

It depends on the brand. If you have any Gulp, do not put them back anywhere including the bag they came from. Anytime you mix colors or brands it has a good chance of changing all of the colors and textures. Of course then you might create the best color you've ever used Since you said it gets hard(no jokes please ;D) Then it sounded like Gulp, and they will dry out worse than leather shoestrings, and if you put them back in the original bag after using them, they will ruin all of the unused one.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-04, 04:33 PM   #5
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Lizardsrule,

Thanks for that info. Didn't know that about the Gulp worms.

Bassnman30
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 05:49 AM   #6
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I have never seen a soft plastic get harder when fished, but then again I haven't fished every soft plastic out there. Even if this does happen then yes it is ok to put it back into the bag with the rest of them. Don't put different colors together though. In hot weather they will melt and you will have a multi-color bait. Also, just a little tip, if you are out for a days fishing, and you are catching fish on a particular soft plastic, don't throw away your used ones. Keep them. If you run out, a cigarette lighter and a pocket knife can save the day. Just heat your knife up with a lighter, and use the blade to mold your worm, lizard, senko, or whatever back together. Now, it probably won't last long, but it can put another fish in the boat. Good fishing.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 08:23 AM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

bassnman30 expressed a great idea. Â*I made my own "welder" for repairing plastics by using a pencil soldering iron (electric) I got from Wal Mart automotive for under 5 dollars. Â*When you get it home, take a piece of regular wire about the thickness of pencil lead and wrap it three times around the tip and let 3/4 inch stick out the front. Â*When the wire gets hot enough, you can easily use it for welding tears and hook punctures as well as creating new lures from old.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 12:57 PM   #8
fishiy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishiy

I reuse plastics all of the time. Actually I have some soft plastics from 1 or 2 years ago. I have so many new ones, that the old plastics just kinda build up. Some of them maybe older than 2 years, because they are lasting longer than they plastic bags they come in. Hey they still look and smell good, and most of all they still catch fish, so why get rid of them.

fishin fool
fishiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 02:30 PM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

I fuse plastic ends together with a candle. Just make sure the cuts are straight across and clean. I then smooth the line where the plastic parts were joined with a soldering iron or heated knife. Good as new.

All of my hybrid designs are created uing this method.

Sam

Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 08:45 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=news;num=1093630492;start=0#4 date=08/29/04 at 15:33:33]Lizardsrule,

Thanks for that info. Didn't know that about the Gulp worms.

Bassnman30[/quote]

You're welcome. As an after thought, the Gulp are biodegradable, and when they become in contact with bacteria, they will start to disolve. If you place a plastic back in the bag after using it(GULP) it will start to disolve all of the baits. I personally won't use the GULP.

Lizards
Old 08-31-04, 09:10 PM   #11
djr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to djr

Thanks to all for the responses. Ihave been tossing some of my used ones away, especially the gulp ones that get hard. The tips about repairing them will come in handy.

Thanks again,
David
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 09:56 PM   #12
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=dawg022002 link=board=news;num=1093630492;start=0#10 date=08/31/04 at 20:10:18]Thanks to all for the responses. Ihave been tossing some of my used ones away, especially the gulp ones that get hard. The tips about repairing them will come in handy.

Thanks again,
David[/quote]

Gulp are NOT Plastic, so the repairs won't work the same.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.