Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 11-21-04, 11:06 PM   #1
MJ_BlueDevil
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MJ_BlueDevil
Default Lakes El Salto and Baccarac

Mexican Bass Fishing Report
By Mac and Sandra Mac Laughlin

As we have done for the past several years we towed our bass boat from Shreveport, LA to Mexico. We started our fishing at lake El Salto where we have had good luck in the past.

Nov 6th
This was our first day of fishing at El Salto. Fishing was OK with about thirty bass for the day. No big fish. The largest weighed 6 lbs.

Nov 7th
This was basically a repeat of the day before. We enjoyed the fishing but again no big fish. While talking to other anglers we discovered that no one was doing really great.

Nov 8th
We packed up our gear and decided to check out Lake Baccarac and the new Lake Baccarac Lodge. We made a reservation to return to El Salto in 4 days hoping the fishing would get better. We arrived at the lodge in the afternoon and were welcomed by our old friend Rene Salazar, the former manager of Lake Huites Lodge. We launched our boat and made ready for the next mornings fishing.

Nov 9th
What a change! We only caught about 30 fish but the smallest was 5 pounds, one 10.2 and a lot of 8’s and 9’s. Then the bad luck hit. At the end of the day I switched back to top water as the shade started to show in the cove. It was like an explosion. The lunker hit the lure like a freight train. I managed to get him turned and headed for the boat. I got him along side the boat and, as Sandra went to net him, he flipped and brook off. He had to be 15 plus pounds. We called it a day and returned to the Lodge for a margarita.

Nov 10th
Today turned out to be Sandra’s day for good and bad luck. Early in the morning on top water Sandra landed a 9.5 lb bass. Fishing was ok for the rest of the day with the majority of the fish in the 5 to 7 lb range. In the afternoon Sandra thought she had a snag. She jerked on it about four times and nothing seemed to happen. Just as she turned to ask our guide for help the line started to move and then run. She tried to set the hook and turn the fish but he was having no part of it. The fish just kept on trucking and spooled Sandra in short order. Then to add insult to injury the bass return to about 20 feet from the boat and did an out of the water summersault to try to spit the bait. I won’t try to estimate his weight but he was gigantic.

Nov 11th
A day to remember! Lady luck was with me today. The morning top water only produced two 5 pound fish so we switch to 1 oz rattle traps. I was casting to the bank and letting the lure drop down into the channel. The second cast yielded a 10.2 lb bass. By lunch time I had the 10.2 plus an 11.5 and a 12.6 to the boat weighed and released. It was time for the margaritas once again. In the afternoon I did ok and so did Sandra. No fish over 10 lbs but again the 7 and 8’s were plentiful. We went to top water again as the shadows were starting to form. After about 4 casts I saw a Bass heading for Sandra’s lure. I had never in my life seen a bass attack as this one did. His back fin was out of the water as he swam full speed for the lure. He looked more like a dolphin in the ocean than a bass in a lake. The bass swallowed the lure in on bite and just kept going. For the second time in three days of fishing Sandra got spooled and her lunker got away.

Nov 12th
This was a volume day but no big fish. We caught 30 fish in the morning and 25 in the afternoon. The majority of the fish were in the 5 to 7 lb range. We went back to the Lodge to pack up and head back to El Salto. A friend of ours that met us at El Salto had to fly home from Mazatlan so with the plan of returning to El Salto things were to work out well.

Nov 13th
Early to rise and hook up the boat. As I backed up to the boat I just could not bring myself to hook it up and return to El Salto after the four days of fantastic fishing we had at Baccarac. I left the boat at Lake Baccarac Lodge and gave my friend a ride to Mazatlan.

Nov 14th
We have stocked up on rattle traps, Yamamoto Grubs and Bill Dance fat free shad deep-divers along with 30 lb test big game line. We are returning to Lake Baccarac and Lake Baccarac Lodge to do battle with the monster bass.

A word about Lake Baccarac Lodge

Lake Baccarac Lodge is open and functioning very well. One wing is complete and the second wing should be completed within 30 days. My friend fished on one of their new Crestliner Bass Boats and said they were very stable and well laid out. Even though the support staff is new they do an excellent job. Sandra and I both highly recommend the facility.

For more information on Bass Fishing in Mexico or Lake Baccarac Lodge please contact Dan Wentworth at dan@xtremeangling.net , http://www.xtremeangling.net or tell toll free 1-866-776-5568
MJ_BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.