Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 01-25-05, 06:49 AM   #1
Greenworm
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Stick Marsh and others

To see Pics: http://www.imaginationbassin.com/JanuaryReport2005.htm

Look to the right of that picture and you will see current. I don't know too many that aren't aware that if there is current there is a good chance that there are bass in it. Weather and wind make the spillway area a good place to be during those conditions and we have had our share of that over the last two weeks. Yesterday Scott went there late but was able to get into a good spot for the bass.

Another out of the current but smaller, however if you look over his right shoulder there is a great picture of a pelican. These brown pests are drawn to the area because of the shiners being fished and hooking them is not uncommon. However, they are a beautiful bird and one of the plusses of fishing on the Marsh/Farm.
Saturday started with some of the densest fog I have ever encountered. Friday while we were out scouting we noted both Stan Daniels and Hugh Crumpler fishing in the northwest area as we worked the inside ditch, and Stan reported some success with wild shiners. Scott headed west, after a conversation with Hugh, along the tree line rather than attempt the run across the lake. People are known to run around on the Marsh/Farm without lights which makes a fog situation extremely dangerous, so running wasn't a very good option. The fog stayed dense until 11:00 so Scott also tried some other close areas, but lack of success made him take a chance with the spillway and as luck would have it, the right spot was there.
Friday was a scouting day for us and out first area was the ditch on the north end of the Marsh. There is a section that is pretty shallow and we were able to find some fish there, but size was lacking. We then went down the ditch and over into the flats off the C54. This area, commonly called the back lot at times can produce pretty well, but only a few answered to the call of a white spinner bait. We then moved out in the northwest area of the Marsh and worked the trees and wood in that area. Nothing responded so it was off to the Farm and the extreme southwest. The area looks good and is easy to navigate with the high levels of water. It was the only area that we saw gators all day, and on the shorelines they were there in abundance. One pack all lying together had 10+ gators soaking up the sun trying to get warm.
We then worked across the entire south end of the Farm with some pretty negative results. The frontal passage had done its job and the bass were in their usual non-cooperative mode. However, current will usually get the bass going no matter the front or wind, and our customers from yesterday were set up in the spillway area with shiners. Fishing from an area outside the current did produce one over 10 for them, which I always love to hear. Thursday they had worked Ansin/Garcia with Scott and it had been a tough day out there for them, so we were really glad that they had success on Friday.
Saturday I ran into friend Doug Gilley were I was fishing and we compared some notes on what is being seen in some of the areas he fishes. One of the things he noted was a lack of any spawn action in his areas which coincides with what I am seeing in this area. I did see some activity on Garcia, but I have yet to pull out an egged up or red bellied female on any of our trips on the Marsh. We don't see much tail distress here because of the soft bottom, but there is no missing the enlarged belly loaded with eggs, or the numerous red spots on the belly after several males have nudged the eggs from her sac. Doug's report pretty much coincides with what Bob Eisenhauer, head fishery biologist for the region, noted in the area. We chatted with him a couple of hours two weeks ago when he was out doing a shock survey on part of the water management area. Based on the feedback we are getting and our observations we expect an absolute tremendous February and March this year.
Although close to the Marsh, the area I was fishing on Saturday and its bass population acted totally opposite in response to the front. I left the ramp prior to dark headed for a recently discovered hot spot. With all the appropriate navigation necessities marked I was able to get to where I wanted to be without a hitch and I never saw another boat until the fog lifted around 11:00. Starting with a buzz bait I managed several bass including one just short of 9-pounds. The area has mixed grasses and lily pads and Saturday they were all located in or next to arrowhead. Last time here it was the lily pads. After my chat with Doug I headed back with memories of over 30 bass being caught. Some that were caught in the periods of densest fog will be remembered for a long time.
See you on the water. If you are looking for a trip in February or March we do have a few openings left. Give us a call, or say hi if you see us out there.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.