Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 04-04-05, 05:25 PM   #1
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI
Default B.A.S.S. Library

Did anyone besides me receive the "free" B.A.S.S. Library book "tips and techniques"? The letter that came with it says that if you don't want it that you can send it back and another member will have a chance to buy it, but it also says that since you didn't ask for it that you can keep it as a free gift. So my question is should I keep it or not, on one hand I don't want to feel like a bum, but on the other hand I feel like I was kind of set up and they are trying to lay on the guilt by saying "another member will have a chance at this wonderful product". What would you do? The book costs $9.95 and they will then send you others to preview.

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 05:45 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: B.A.S.S. Library

so this board(kevin bass fishin site) sent you a book? was it one of those ''pick a random memmber and give it to them'' type of thing? just alittle confused. but i would keep it because they did send it to you.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 05:48 PM   #3
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

No B.A.S.S. sent me the book not Kevin's website. The book is titled Tips and Techniques. It has nothing to do with this board.

Kybasser
Old 04-04-05, 05:54 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ok, should of picked up on that by the title. i would keep it tho, they sent it to you, so why not keep it? if they wanted another lucky member to get it, they would have.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 06:43 PM   #5
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

KY,
Keep it! It will break them of sending you that crap. If they wanted another member to have a chance at it, they would have sent it to him. (which they probably did) If you don't pay for it and don't send it back, they will probably take you off thier "SUCKER" list!!!

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 07:35 PM   #6
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

;D ;D ;D Take Pterodactyl JackL's advice, keep it and don't pay for it ,but read it like you stole it ? ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 08:41 PM   #7
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I didn't receive it because I'm apparently off their list after sending one back a year or two ago. There was a lot of discussion about it on various forums; criticizing B.A.S.S. for this tactic and advising people what to do.

I chose to return it because I am who I am and would not have felt comfortable keeping it even though I was legally entitled. They provided a prepaid return package and all I had to do was drop it in a mailbox.

There is no right or wrong. Just do whatever YOU feel is the right thing to do.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 08:50 PM   #8
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

keep it
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 11:09 PM   #9
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Keep it. I got one in the mail a few years back, and I even got a notice saying they expected me to pay for it - I ignored it all. I am neither legally or morally obligated to participate in their schemes. That first book is essentially an advertisement, they look at it that way and so do I. They are betting that enough poor saps will end up subscribing to the series to justify the costs of sending that one book to everyone. I for one hope they lose money on this venture.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-05, 11:28 PM   #10
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I started getting those when I was a member of NAFC. They sent me about 5 books that I didn't ask for, then they expected me to pay for them. They sent me a threatening letter telling me that they were going to turn me over to collections for not paying. I wrote them a not so friendly letter reminding them that I didn't ask for them, so they were mine to keep without paying for them and if they kept threatening me that they would hear from my lawyer. I never heard another word from them about it.

I would keep it. By law, if you are sent something you didn't ask for or order it is rightfully yours for FREE!!!
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:03 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Kybasser link=board=Tourneys;num=1112646340;start=0#0 date=04/04/05 at 16:25:40]Did anyone besides me receive the "free" B.A.S.S. Library book "tips and techniques"? The letter that came with it says that if you don't want it that you can send it back and another member will have a chance to buy it, but it also says that since you didn't ask for it that you can keep it as a free gift. So my question is should I keep it or not, on one hand I don't want to feel like a bum, but on the other hand I feel like I was kind of set up and they are trying to lay on the guilt by saying "another member will have a chance at this wonderful product". What would you do? The book costs $9.95 and they will then send you others to preview.

Kybasser[/quote]

If you keep it, they will send you bills, yes you can ignore them, but you will get them. If you send it back, they will remove you from the list of SUCKERS, and you can continue to do as you have been doing. OR you could keep it if you like it and pay for it, and keep getting those types of books if you like them. I would read the book, see if I thought it was helpful, and if it was I would pay for it, and look forward to the next one. If it crap send it back, with a letter saying not to send you any more crap. I received a "Advanced Bass Fishing Skills" I really liked so I paid for it. I also ORDERED a "BASS Daily Planner & Fishing Guide". Can you afford it, and is it something you like, and you think it's worth the money, than sign up. To me it's about what YOU want to have, and can afford. There are tons of publications around to find all types of info. I am actually starting to keep all of the Hard Back books I have to put up on a bookshelf. MY Personal "Library of Bass Fishing" But it sure isn't going to be worth what I paid for it Unless of course it helps me catch more Bass, well then it worth every penny.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 09:47 AM   #12
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

The intro. book they send isn't bad as far as price($9.95) , I kept it last year and paid for it. But then they sent me a second book and wanted $25 for it, I passed on that
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 10:49 AM   #13
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

I decided to keep it, although I am not going to pay for it due to the fact they called it a "free gift". If they didn't think I would keep it then they shouldn't have sent it to me.

Pig_n_jig
I did read it like I stole it, which made it more exciting ;D

Lizard,
I have also started my own little personal library of bass fishing. I have collected quite a bit of useful information, if you want some advice on good reads out their let me know.

Kybasser
Old 04-05-05, 11:13 AM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Kybasser link=board=Tourneys;num=1112646340;start=0#12 date=04/05/05 at 09:49:35]I decided to keep it, although I am not going to pay for it due to the fact they called it a "free gift". If they didn't think I would keep it then they shouldn't have sent it to me.

Pig_n_jig
I did read it like I stole it, which made it more exciting ;D

Lizard,
I have also started my own little personal library of bass fishing. I have collected quite a bit of useful information, if you want some advice on good reads out their let me know.

Kybasser[/quote]

Sure any suggestions would be appreciated 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 04:32 AM   #15
eyes
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They sent me the book last year and I kept it and sent no money. After they sent me 3 or 4 letters that I ignored I never heard another word about it from them. It's all a set up to get you to buy additional books for $25 apiece (like HoosierAngler said). Keep it and enjoy it. They probably expect some people to do this, otherwise they still wouldn't be sending them out. They know for every book someone keeps they sell 3 or 4 and have 3 or 4 returned. It's what you call a marketing expense.
eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.