Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-07, 05:35 PM   #1
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy
Default Bond's Ball # 756

Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO — The fate of Barry Bonds' record-breaking home run ball is now in the public's hands after its buyer announced Monday he was taking votes on whether to give the ball to the Hall of Fame, brand it with an asterisk or blast it into space.

Fashion designer Marc Ecko revealed himself as Saturday's winning bidder in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit last month to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price for No. 756 was $752,467, well above most predictions.

Ecko had not even taken possession of the ball before setting up a Web site that lets visitors vote on which of the three outcomes they think the ball most deserves. He said he plans to announce the final tally after voting ends Sept. 25.

"I bought this baseball to democratize the debate over what to do with it," Ecko wrote on the Web site. "The idea that some of the best athletes in the country are forced to decide between being competitive and staying natural is troubling."

The 35-year-old Ecko is known for his pop culture pranks, including an infamous Internet video that showed him apparently infiltrating an airport tarmac and spray-painting graffiti on Air Force One. The incident turned out to be a hoax.

But the auction house that handled the sale confirmed that Ecko is indeed the ball's buyer.

"This transaction is happening and is going to be done by the end of the day," David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions, said Monday.

Kohler called Ecko's decision "brilliant" and said he had already visited the Web site and voted to send the ball to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Matt Murphy, a 21-year-old student and construction supervisor from New York, emerged from a scrum with the ball on Aug. 7. He decided to sell it, he said, because he couldn't afford the tax bill that would result from holding onto the ball.

"This either makes him a lunatic or a genius, one of those two," Murphy said when told of Ecko's stunt. "I'm leaning toward genius."

Murphy said he planned to vote to send the ball to Cooperstown.

Ecko himself said he voted to brand the ball with an asterisk, a reference to the belief of some Bonds detractors that the Giants slugger's record is tainted by his alleged use of performance-enhancing substances. Bonds has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs.

Ecko said what really interests him is seeing what happens when an "American Idol" approach comes together with a serious public debate over drugs in sports.

"My vote really doesn't matter," said Ecko, who identifies himself as a New York Yankees fan. "The American public will tell us what to do with it."

___

On the Web:

http://www.vote756.com/

I voted to Brand it... In case you were wondering.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 08:13 PM   #2
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

The ball does belong in the HOF I guess. The home run record is one of the greatest achievements in any sport.I can't stand Bonds (steroids or not) so my first thought was to blast it into space. After thinking about it though, I voted brand it and send it to Cooperstown.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 01:48 PM   #3
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cooperstown is less than an hour from my house and I fear that the stench of Bonds tainted ball would effect my air quality... However, realistically it does probably belong there. People have already formulated their opinions on the record.
Old 09-19-07, 04:47 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I havent kept up with the Bonds situation or much of any baseball for that matter, but I do believe the ball should go to the Hall of Fame with no astericks or any of the such unless its been completely proven that he didnt break the record legit.
Old 09-20-07, 12:14 PM   #5
leroy

Proof enough?
Old 09-20-07, 02:21 PM   #6
brushhog

Leroy, That is JB quality work!!!!
Old 09-21-07, 08:05 AM   #7
leroy

Yeah but I didnt do it... Just found it. I do a lot with photoshop but I already knew that existed. JB have you converted to CS3 yet?
Old 09-24-07, 10:55 PM   #8
flfireman

I say light it on fire and throw it through his pharmacist's window.
Old 09-27-07, 11:07 AM   #9
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Well, the public has spoken. The ball will be branded with an asterisk and sent to the hall of fame. Kinda reminds me of a picture I saw from a Yankee's game. Bonds was standing in the outfield and was reading a banner some fans were holding up. It said, "The Babe did it on hot dog's and beer"
Old 09-27-07, 04:37 PM   #10
stevomac59

My friend had a rookie card of B Bonds. We compared it a current card... and WOW what a big difference. He USE TO BE skinny and weak!!!

LOL
Old 09-27-07, 05:07 PM   #11
leroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
My friend had a rookie card of B Bonds. We compared it a current card... and WOW what a big difference. He USE TO BE skinny and weak!!!

LOL
thats why I dont think he could have bulked up that much in such a short amount of time without some "help"
Old 09-27-07, 09:33 PM   #12
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't think the whole steroids issue would affect peoples' opinion of Bonds if he wasn't such a jerk. McGuire and Sousa used 'roids, but they were fan and media friendly. For the majority of Bond's career, steroids were not regulated in MLB so you really can't fault him for breaking any rules unless they prove he is still using them.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 10:30 PM   #13
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
thats why I dont think he could have bulked up that much in such a short amount of time without some "help"
You cannot, in any way, base a theory of steriod use by before and after pictures. Now I know this isnt what everyone is solely basing it on, but still. I have bulked up greatly in only a little more than a months time. Its all about how you eat, high intensity work out sessions, cardio, and protein shakes. So it can deffinitely be done.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.