Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 09-28-07, 07:51 PM   #1
Mattern Guide Servic
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Mattern Guide Service on Lake Palestine and Sam Rayburn

Subject: Lake Palestine & Sam Rayburn, Texas
Submitted by Mattern guide service (ip 4.90.19.28) from Texas on

Water Temperature: 85
Water Clarity: 1 foot
Content Hello Everybody,
Hebrews Chapter 11: Verse 6; But without Faith it is impossible to please Him; for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.

Well I have been gone for a season checking out Lake Falcon and Toledo Bend for upcomming tournaments and Championships in October. Man that Lake Falcon is wild had some Big Bass almost take my Kistler Rod and Nichols spinnerbait out of my hand.

Lake Palestine:
Lake level is at 344.56 or about full pool and water temps were 75 degrees at Am. and 85 at PM. Water is stained up on the North end but if you look you can find some guts, I call them or channels that are hid away that Bass are chasing and feeding on shad. Shad are moving into the creek channels and the Bass are following. Caught Bass up to 7 lbs. They were hitting 3 baits for me poppers in the shad patterns, Chartruse/White combos Nichols spinnerbaits and Phantom watermelon Red Stinkos rigged wacky style.
Caught some really Big Bass chasing shad all about 4-7 lbs. Another area had loads of smaller Bass up to about 2.5 lbs. chasing those shad. What a ball. Had to work to find them but when you did it was fast and furious action.
I had used a Kistler rod on a Bass Champs tournament this year fishing a Nichols spinnerbait and I tell you I have never used a rod quite like Kistler. Lighter than a feather, a manner of speaking. a fast tip but stout enough on the butt section to horse 2 Bass over 6 lbs. out of the hydrilla for a 3rd place finish on Sam Rayburn. I have made about 6 paychecks since then with that Kistler and have began to use them on all my baits now. No doubt Kistler has become one of my sponsors now.

Sam Rayburn:
Water temps about the same as Palestine but the Lake level is 161.08 or down about 3 foot below full pool. This has made some awesome Mossbeds and some of the Bigger Bass can be caught with wacky worm rigs and spinnerbaits on the edges of these Mossbeds. Good colors have been Phantoms Watermelon colors in a Stinko which is like a Senko but loaded with real Garlic Oil. Spinnerbaits in Blue Shad and White/Chartruse,( Nichols lures makes them ), have put alot of Bass in the boat.
Around the Cypress lined coves look for a deeper channel running parralell to the bank and channel where the channel swings in. Early throw a White/Chartruse Spro Frog near the bank and let them take it down till it hurts before you set the hook. Caught Bass up to 6 lbs. with that pattern. The Spinnerbait also caught great early, then switch to a wacky rigged worm work it slowly for some great action. As it warms up use a Texas rig creature bait. I use a Phantom Tackle Stink Hog which is full of the same Garlic Oil as the Stinko. The Stink Hog looks similar to a Brush Hog. Watermelon Red seems best but His Laminated Watermelon/Chartruse was used many times in this manner to cull a limit out for a paycheck. Working it off the deeper channels next to those Cypress Trees in about 4-12 feet.
Bass fishing is picking up everywhere as the shad migrate into the upper creeks and the Bass begin putting on the feed bag for the comming winter. I hope what I have learned will help you catch more Bass and give my sponsors a call and find out what I have spent years to narrow down. They have some great products and baits that work consistently.
If you want to book a Guide trip to Lake Palestine or Sam Rayburn give me a call and don\\\'t forget this winter to get booked for some great winter Bass action on Lake Fairfield. Give me a call at 903-478-2633 or just E-Mail me and we will get you booked in.
I would like to thank Jesus for if it was not for Him I would not have the great sponsors and all of you to share a passion of God\\\'s creation I love dearly. Remember Jesus loves you and the devil is a liar. Don Mattern Sr. with Mattern Guide Service.

Tell my sonsors Mattern Guide Service sent you. Nichols Lures- 903-589-8101 Phantom Tackle- Phantomtackle.com Kistler Rods- 281-259-8033 Email donmat@earthlink.net (not published) Business Mattern Guide Service on Lake Palestine & Sam Rayburn (may be published)
Mattern Guide Servic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.