Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-05, 12:56 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default The Old Coal Pit, Epsom

Well got out yesterday, and fished for about 8 hours ;D I caught over 20 bass, however the biggest was 15". They were very active, and were mostly caught up in the weeds. I caught them along drop offs and points also. Heres a list of what baits caught fish yesterday
1. White/Chartreusse Spinnerbait 1/2oz with a clear chartreusse brub trailer. 2 willow leaf blades, gold and silver.
2. Black Zoom Lizards 6"
3. Rapala XRap, shad
4. Fin-S fish(flukes), Alewife
4. Yum Wooly Hogtails, green pumkin
5. Senkosam's senko knockoffs ;D

As you can see they were biting mostly everything. I did have to scratch my head all day though. I was down there 1 week ago, and the water temps were in the mid 40's. now we have had some nicer weather, but the water temps were 59 degrees when I started and 62 degrees when I finished Wndering if they will be spawning a month earlier or not? Anyway, it was just a huge jump. I was expected lower 50's, and was pleasantly surprised. I tried some deeper humps and point for some bigger fish, but no takers. It was a great day, and caught lots of fish

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 01:03 PM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: The Old Coal Pit, Epsom

I watch the spawning map and reports for the nation
and so far all guides say its off still north of georgia, but I bet it happens before may..couple weeks at least for ohio
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 09:53 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Well went out yesterday(4/9) hit the water at 7am, fished till 4pm. Breezy, but not horrible, sunny and clear skies, temps got into the mid to upper 70's ;D Got some sun, and fish also. Caught over 20 again, the sizes were getting bigger, caught 2 that were around 18". Mostly on some YUM Lizards in green pumpkin worked up in and around the weeds. Picked up quite a few fish suspending out in the middle, at about 15' of water, but try as I might, couldn't get them to bite. The fish are definately moving up or staging, on the ledges, and valleys(between 2 point, moving up towards coves). I could have caught a lot more probably, but I worked on my baitcasting skills as much as anything(still need a lot more practice :-[), but I am coming along. I also worked a Buzzbait quite a bit, seeing as the water temps were up in the lower to mid sixties, and only had 1 short stirke, but the Lizard would produce fish worked weightless in the same areas. There were no bone jarring hits, but it was fun, and productive. I need to find a good setup for the Yum Crawbugs, I want them weighted, but with a decent hook. I'm not liking the pegging of a bullet weight much on these(it does work). Any suggestion on a good rig for them? Anyway, hope everyone else is catching some fish also.

Lizards
Old 04-12-05, 08:11 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Went out again yesterday ;D I was going to go to the Ohio to prefish, but was informed, the ramp was underwater on Friday . I went out with then intention of using my baitcasters a lot, and working a PNJ, crankbaits,buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. I caught some on all of the above. I was actually 3 out of 4 with the PNJ 8) I really didn't keep track of how many I caught it was quite a few. The majority of them were 14"-15". I of course did catch a cuople on some Lizards and Wooly Hogtails also. Had a great day got to relax and relieve some stress. Water temps were 62-66. air temps were mid 50's in the am, and mid 70's in the afternoon. Wind was mild in the am, and picked up substantially through the day. Partly cloudy on and off for most of the day. Man Bass fishing is the greatest

Lizards
Old 04-12-05, 10:33 AM   #5
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Is Ohio this weekend? Good luck down there! I'll be chanting throughout the morning: Lizards, Lizards, Lizards...so if you feel a rush of adrenaline coming on...that's my vibe!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:42 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Nope it's April 30th. I going to be back for 2 days from Florida when I have this tourney. Hope I don't get dissapointed with catching all the dinks we have after Florida ;D

Lizards
Old 04-12-05, 12:51 PM   #7
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

Oh....I'll be visiting BPS in Cincy on the 30th! That should make the vibe a little stronger. Maybe I can talk the wife into showing up for the weigh in... What a way to spend our 10th wedding anniversary!
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 04:02 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=creekgeek link=board=Reports;num=1112716562;start=0#6 date=04/12/05 at 11:51:12]Oh....I'll be visiting BPS in Cincy on the 30th! Â*That should make the vibe a little stronger. Maybe I can talk the wife into showing up for the weigh in... Â*What a way to spend our 10th wedding anniversary!
[/quote]

LMAO
It's my b-day also ;D Turn the big 40 Man I can't lose

Lizards
Old 04-12-05, 06:05 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

lizards, its your b-day on the 30th? thats awesome, mine is that day to. i will be turning the big 14 ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 08:32 PM   #10
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

well, in case i forget, happy b-day to both of you, you old farts! j/k ;D
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 04:28 PM   #11
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Thanks for the info lizs...good to know!
And congrates on the 18 inchers *high5's*

Yup the ramp is under water , at tanners its like 4 truck wide ramp but it looks just like a driveway that only drop about 4 feet over the length of 30 feet long, it floods all the f'n time
its probably about 100 yards off the main ohio river, and the way the play with the water level on the locks I am sure it probably won't take long to go down.
Lizards, the best advise I can give you on the baitcaster is to take a target like a plate and either practise in the house or backyard and just keep trying to get near it with either a heavy jig or better yet a practise plug.
The lighter the lure, the more trouble you'll have trying to flip it.
Most start out trying to extent their arm out as they pitch, and thats normal, but the more you can concentrate on lowering the rod tip, let the bait slip out of your hand in a swing and then sharply raise the rod tip and let loose your thumb , still keeping in touch with the line with your thumb as you go. Get a free spool for up close flips, controlled by your thumb, and always adjust your brakes and line drop for dif. weights of lures.
You'll get it..it took all of us awhile to learn the technique.
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.