Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-21-08, 09:02 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Plastics rusting my hooks?

I have a tendency to leave a rigged worm or tube on the hook when I switch to another bait and just leave it rigged in my tackle box till I use it again. I recently noticed that some of my hooks seemed to be rusting in the areas that stay in contact with the plastics.....So my question becomes, is this normal or is it just something about the brand of hook? The only hooks I use are made by either Tru-Turn or Gamakatsu.....all my Gamakatasu hooks are red hooks and they seem uneffected.....all my Tru-Turn hooks are normal cam action worm hooks and they are the hooks that are rusting. I've noticed some tubes with alot of salt content seem to be worse about causing this than just plastic alone.....anybody run into this?

Hold the phone........I was just reading the back of the Tru-Turn package and noticed some fine print that reads (Earth friendly finish actually deteriorates during use)......Ok.....that might explain what i'm seeing.....still yet its surprising since the hooks aren't that old.....I guess once they are exposed to the elements the "deterioration" process starts, and the salt content of some plastics speed that up....Interesting.

Just for grins I added a little packet of desiccant silica gel to the box that I keep my hooks in.....hopefully that'll remove any unwater moisture and slow dow the process.....well see.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 09:17 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It's not the plastic ( I think) It's the water that stays on the hook near the plastics. I have small spots of rust on most of my rods hook holders.

BB
Old 11-22-08, 06:17 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Salt will, over time, degrade the hooks. Certain brands and types of softies, especially Yamamoto Senkos (Senki?), are so impregnated with salt that one could drop one into the beans should one find himself bereft of a little salt pork. Mmmmmm!
I seem to note this more with the red-coated hooks such as Gamakatsu Red EWGs and the like.
BTW, nevAr fail to remove the hook before dropping the Senko into the beans.

Lancer6
Executive Chef and Chief Bottle Emptier.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.