Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-29-09, 11:29 AM   #1
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Buzzbaits

I got some buzzbaits reciently and they all ran hard to the left when retrieved. I like a buzzer to run straight when retrieved so I can guide it left or right with the rod tip. My question is do ya'll like for your buzzers to run off to one side or straight? How would you tune a buzzer to run straight?
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 11:32 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this may sound dumb but try to bend the wire togather. if it is hitting the blade bend it a part.. if i want the buzzer to go off to the side i move my line tie to the side of the r bend..

zooker
Old 03-29-09, 11:36 AM   #3
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks Zooker...
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 03:40 PM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most buzz baits will need to be tuned. Even ones that you have tuned will manage to get off center from time to time due to a fish or storage.
After you tune it the first time by bending it, they will correct themselves (Usually) by trolling it out at a high trolling speed of slow on the motor. I will usually do that when I go out ot my first spot. I put it out a few feet and allow the water to put it back on center. It hasn't worked for the intial set up, but it has not failed me on the follow up corrections.
Old 03-29-09, 06:03 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

yeah just bend the wires.... sometimes i want them to run one way so it will bump into certain things like every post on a dock
Old 03-30-09, 09:42 AM   #6
3dkicker

Don't change it. Find one that runs straight and one to the right and you've got a great way to fish weedlines. The ones that run off to one side are great for fishing edges.
Old 03-30-09, 10:25 AM   #7
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu4600 View Post
I got some buzzbaits reciently and they all ran hard to the left when retrieved. I like a buzzer to run straight when retrieved so I can guide it left or right with the rod tip. My question is do ya'll like for your buzzers to run off to one side or straight? How would you tune a buzzer to run straight?

Ahhhh-BU! (Gesundheit!),

There is a very simple trick to making your buZZZZZZZZZbaits track as you wish; If the lure is running to YOUR Left on retrieve, hold the lure, facing TOWARD you, firmly just below the tie-on and bend the upper wire slightly to your left. By trial and error you will correct all or most of the error. Conversely, if the lure's running to YOUR Right on retrieve, bend the upper wire to your right.
What another poster said about the advantages of a lure that runs to one side IS useful info, in that it may allow you to present the lure closer to productive cover; Under boat docks; Shaded area beneath a bush or treel, etc. With practice you'll learn to adjust your buZZZZZZZZZbait to "do tricks".
Be aware of two things....One, repeated and frequent bending of the harness might cause it to snap due to metal fatigue, but it'll take a lot of aggressive bending to cause same. Two, even if your buZZZZZZZZZbait IS tracking true at a given speed, a faster retrieve is likely to cause it to wander off-course. This is due to increased torque from the turning blade(s).
When I tune a buZZZZZZZZZZbait I pinch the wire firmly just BELOW the tie-on so that there is no visible bend in the upper OR lower portions of the wire; They should remain so straight as possible. Ergo, the actual "bend" will occur at the tie-on, not either of the shafts.
Learn to tune ALL your lures; Cranks, BuZZZZZZZZZZ and standard spinnerbaits and you can work magic!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.