Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-12, 04:13 PM   #1
petebigbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pitching question?

i have 2 baitcasting reels a shimano caenan and a quantom smoke both on 7 ft rods both with 50# braid. i can cast crank baits and spinnerbaits ok. my problem is the setup and pitching. i can't seem to get the adjustments right. i get distance and a birds nest, or no distance. any tips. thanks
petebigbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 04:31 PM   #2
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

You have 2 nice reels to work with. I use the quantum KVD reels myself and I'll pitch with anything depending on the circumstances, braid, fluoro or mono. 1st question is do you have the braid on the spools alone or do you have a backing on first? If no backing then it could be grabbing if its too tight.

I adjust my reel according to my bait like I would anything else. I don't know how long you have been pitching so it could be a technique issue more then a gear issue . If its bird nesting then either its wayy too loose or you don't have proper thumb control or perhaps both.

Number one thing is practice, practice, practice. Worry about accuracy before distance. Grab a bucket. Have a larger rock, stack of wood or just something that will get you up above the ground to imitate the deck height of a boat on the water and place the bucket 10' - 15' away from you. When you can hit the bucket (not necessarily in but extremely close) then your accuracy is improving thus you can then start to move the bucket further distances away.

That will help you to learn better control and once this becomes much more comfortable then work on accuracy and more distance will follow. I'm a decent pitcher but I still practice at home quite often. My next technique to tackle is skipping....

Good Luck!
Old 05-16-12, 06:19 PM   #3
petebigbass
BassFishin.Com Member

i have mono backing on both reels. also i forgot to mention, i fish out of a kayak, so sitting so low is most likely part of the problem.
Old 05-16-12, 06:30 PM   #4
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with Ranger and sounds like you have the backing taken care of. I think you could try a few more things, #1 a leader. A Fluorcarbon leader will get you started through the eyes more smoothly (if thats a word) I use a leader equal to the length of from the tip of the rod to the spool. Spray the line with KVD's line lube. Also, flipping from a Kayak could be the source as you really can't get the line out fast enough to keep it from bunching up. You did not say but another thought I have is, if I have a braid rig sitting for some time with no use the dry up braid will cause me some issues, so I let the line out in the water and reel it back in to make sure it is wet. I still think flipping from a kayak in general is the problem. I am guessing this does not happen with mono or fluoro?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 07:09 PM   #5
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just the same as in a regular cast, you still need to let the weight of your lure load the rod, even for a pitch. One thing that helps is to feel the weight of the lure as it swings away from you. If you don't, you're adding too much speed into the casting equation and the resulting overrun should be no surprise at all. You can get the feel of the weight as it swings away from you -- just don't let your thumb off of the spool. Let it swing away and toward you a few times (with your thumb on the spool) and you will get a feel for it. You'll figure out the right time to release your thumb. My reel setting for pitching is not different from making a regular cast.
Old 05-17-12, 11:26 AM   #6
Vegasspider

Default Grab a Duckett

I was thinking about your problem again last night. I did some research and it makes since to me, you should try a Duckett micro magic rod. The rods are killer and the only ones I use other than Gloomis. The Duckett micro rods gets line out faster than any other in my opinion and I bet this would solve the flipping from a kayak problem. http://duckettfishing.com/home.php

Let me know if you try it and how it works out for you.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 02:19 PM   #7
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh yea the issue is definitely with the Kayak. Last night I sat on the ground with legs forward as I would in a kayak. I consider myself a fairly accomplished pitcher. I can hit the bucket often enough but sitting down completely changes the physics of the pitch. You don't have the height like standing to point your rod tip down to generate the momentum to let the bait glide out of your hand for smoothness which along also comes power and distance.

I could pitch out maybe 15' or so but found it difficult and really more cumbersome. I had to hold the rod in about a 25 to 30 degree angle while sitting. I could hold tension on the bait and load the rod tip to fling it out a lil further but this is a incorrect way to pitch and will end up with a hook in the hand and your accuracy flies right out the window.

As stated before the bait should glide out of the hand in a proper pitch. I think from a sitting position you would be better off practicing a normal overhand cast but it would have to be light or more finesse in nature.

Now you could actually flip a bait and probably get more distance then a pitch or at least if nothing else you would get the same distance with less effort and an upright rod presentation which is more comfortable and natural.

For what its worth.....

Old 05-17-12, 02:56 PM   #8
petebigbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks guys

thanks for the pitching advice. i'll keep practicing and tinkering with the reel adjustments. if i don't get any better i'll have to try flipping instead. thanks again, and tight lines.
Old 05-17-12, 03:57 PM   #9
joedog

May help
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...?f=50&t=150867

May want to try a 6'6' or 6' pole.
Can you stand in your kayak?
Try side pitching or side flipping, kind of tricky but easier after practice.
Tough part is both techniques are usually used standing in the front of a boat. Folks don't even use a but seat while flipping and pitching.
Old 05-17-12, 04:17 PM   #10
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My first thought was to adjust your baitcaster propperly, but if you're casting spinnerbaits and cranks OK, it's probably not the problem.

Like everyone else, I agree that pitching from a low sitting position is difficult. When fishing from a bass boat I am normally sitting in a pedastal seat, but if I'm pitching or flipping I'll probably stand - that little extra height makes the underhand swing much easier.

I know you were probably looking for advice for your current rod and reel, but a shorter rod might help. Another alternative would be to use a spinning reel - that's what I use from a canoe.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 04:12 PM   #11
lilmule

First pitching isnt for distance,second sitting is like twice as hard.
Spinning would be easier or settle for short pitches,another rod wont help much possibly a shorter one might.Certainly not a long pitchin rod.
Try some sidearm casts,lob them slightly upward has same effect.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 05:57 PM   #12
pro reel

Get a lot shorter rod. I would get an old pistel grip 5 ft rod and only use it for pitching when sitting.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 06:22 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Get a lot shorter rod. I would get an old pistel grip 5 ft rod and only use it for pitching when sitting.
All Star just came out with a 6' hf pistol grip that is labeled "pitching", it would probably be perfect for pitching from a kayak.
Old 05-19-12, 07:16 PM   #14
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i have been reading all the comments about your dilemma of pitching. of course all the advice to practice is great advice. casting is like any other sport and practice makes one more proficient. pro reel might have had a good suggestion in using a shorter rod since you are sitting down in a kayak. the one suggestion that i might try i to use more of a sidearm motion from such a low position. this will still allow you to keep the bait low to the water and attain a soft entry. so, the motion would be sidearm with a roll of the wrist. i do think that using a long straight handle instead of a pistol grip would be better. using the longer handle will allow you to assist the cast with both hands. this will help in the accelartion of the lure. practice, practice, practice!!

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 11:02 PM   #15
pro reel

The reason I would sugest a short handle for pitching while sitting is that the handle would be one less thing to get in the way. I learned to pitch with a pistol grip and although you lose leverage, it was actually a lot easier for me to be accurate
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 08:16 AM   #16
bassboogieman

I also fish from a kayak sometimes (will be doing it more very soon) and pitiching is not nearly as simple as when fishing from my bass boat. One thing, as mentioned above, I use shorter rods due to lack of height off the water. I also use the side arm casts. More importantly, for me anyway, I've gone to using a spinning rod (6'3") for "close work". I still use baitcasters (6'6" mostly) for long cast presentations.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.