Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-20-14, 12:55 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Who's hoarding all the 22LR rounds???

Seriously!!! Been looking to pick up a box or two and can't find any anywhere. Gave my dad my last box of 100 that I bought two years ago since he picked up a 22 pistol for target shooting and couldn't find any rounds.....anywhere . Everyone is sold out. Went to Wally World and was told that they randomly get shipments of 22 in but every day there are 6-7 guys lined up a half hour before they open. Also have a friend who tells me that his gun shop gets in a couple cases and they are sold out within hours.....What gives????? No one uses them for self defense. There hasn't been a massive outbreak of rabid squirrels. And no the Zombie Apocalypse hasn't started so why the hoarding????
Old 03-20-14, 01:19 PM   #2
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

SOBs are hoarding them, 3d! Round here they have a secondary market fueled by Facebook gun sites that allows them to get up to 14 cents a round. They can make $40 a brick by purchasing from Wal-Mart and selling to people wanting to get out and plink.

It fuels itself. Normal guys go to Wal-Mart and see empty shelves (caused by the aforementioned windfall capitalists) and they panic. So they in turn by from the snakes which further strengthens their desire to stand at WM and snipe the only boxes that come in. It's sick!

The bad thing is...22LR is kind of an "entry" gun. You teach newbies on it, take your kids out, or even practice plinking and target shooting a little. I wonder how many people they are keeping out of the sport?!?
Old 03-20-14, 01:31 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I had a similar issue with .380 ammo a couple months ago. .22 is quite popular at the range right now - both pistol and rifle - mainly because it cheap compared to centerfire.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 05:50 PM   #4
lilmule

While walmart might have empty shelves,my gunshops nearby always have some,just got a 525 rd value pack Blazer for $18.50 + tax,50 winchester hp set me back bout 6.50,im good fer a bit.
Anyone who has a 9mm reloader can make the 380 up for you its 9x17 or 9mm short.less case less powder same diameter.
Some shortages in 32 acp and in say 7.62x25 occurred because osama obama,who delcared some military ammo armor piercing,including 32 acp,which at best at point blank might penetrate 1 layer,the 7.62x25 is known to defeat level 2 without special bullets due to its speed.Immeadiately their american partners made the same bullet here and was legal.So other than some who buy up ammo to resell at a great profit and of course gov agencies buying 40000 rds at a time for when it all comes back at them.Their is no shortage.Some joker who bought few hundred thousand rds dont buy from him at jacked prices,let him try eating it.
You the consumer create supply and demand,if high dont buy,you arnt out anyway just lower than the rds you generally keep.
I dont shoot a lot ,some every month to keep in practice,keep few hundred rds for each gun I own,store wont be open if it hits the fan,yet I dont panic buy.And never normally buy more than one 50 rd box at a time unless a value pack of 22 or 440 rds of 7.62x39.
I dont buy any for a caliber I dont own,dont resell any apparently good for a very long time.Kind of like cosmoline a gun looks yucky still after 50-60 years stored in it but still works.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 08:20 PM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Might have to check online.
I'm not positive but I think sportsmans guide may have them on sale right now
Old 03-20-14, 09:54 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Our Walmart rarely has any on it's shelves. After talking to several folks, I was told the guys working that department call certain people to let them know that 22LR is going on the shelves. Can't verify that with proof, but that's what I have been told. As for our local gun shop, they get them but they are sold out as fast as they come in.
Old 03-21-14, 06:35 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I had a similar issue with .380 ammo a couple months ago. .22 is quite popular at the range right now - both pistol and rifle - mainly because it cheap compared to centerfire.
I understand it's cheaper but last time I was at a gun range (December) I didn't hear any 22's being fired. Plenty of 45 and 9mm at the pistol range and 5.56 and bigger at the rifle range.

I'll have to hit another range/gun shop this weekend and see if they have any. I picked up my box of 100 there last time. They are usually well stocked and since you can walk out back and shoot I don't think anyone will hoard them. Also you can't shoot anything but ammo sold in the shop so no bringing in stuff from Wally World and the black market......

G Mt, Dick's, Green Top, Wally, and everyone in between seem to be sold out around me.
Old 03-21-14, 07:18 PM   #8
bassboogieman

We have several guys around here that have the .22 version of the AR's and those guys blow through a half brick, every time I see them at the range. I try to limit myself to 100 rds. of .223 when I go, but those guys with the .22 version make me jealous with the amount of rounds they put down range. I was at Cabela's last week and they had a couple brands in 500 rd. bricks, guess I'll buy a couple next trip and make a few bucks reselling... NOT! Trops (gun shop) has a 525 rd brick of .22LR (1 per cust/day) on sale now for $90, I've dealt with them and their shop is about an hour from me.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-21-14 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 06:46 PM   #9
3dkicker

Stopped in to Clark Bros, store and gun range, and found them to be out of .22LR also. Looked like they had everything else though. I'll guess I'll wait and see if/when the mad rush ends and pick some up then. $90 for 525 is very expensive. A buddy of mine said he saw some for $75.....but they were sold out too. I got my last 100 for under $10 (I think).
Old 03-26-14, 09:03 PM   #10
lilmule

I recently bought this and 2 100 rd boxesone of winchester one of remington hp ,both in high 5 and 6 dollar range.
If your willing to pay 90 someone will sell it to you/ below is a box of cheap cci blazer leadhead for plinking.

And yes recently thought about an ar 15 a frontier lower for 109 and a chiappa 22 upper for 269 with 2 mags,didnt think to long as have med bills to pay,but a cheap plinker. 22lr does not cost 18 cents a rd,im paying lil over 3 for a value pack and 6 to 7 for hp self def ammo.Be glad to send you a value pack at 1/3 that price you are paying but would be a rip off.For those that want 90 let them try eating it.
For twice that can buy a 440 rd tin of 7.62x39,inc shipping sometimes with an extra 50 tossed in
I love former com block guns,even with an increase recently in price the ammo is still cheap.And for say 200-300 you have a decent handgun.Currently market is flooded with chinese type 56 semi auto 7.62x39 stored in a nuetral country for 20 years now can import,can buy one unissued in cosmoline for 300,so whats the old one that was bringing 400 worth now.Prices can go down as well as up,you the consumer are in control of much of that.
Something to think about canada which has stricter gun laws has cheaper prices Marstens buy one 180 dollar tin of ammo,spend 75 more and get an unissued sks,to bad we cant just walk over and get one.
Even ten dollar 100 rd packs buy 5 its 50 not 90,bulk is generally cheaper not more expensive.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-26-14 at 09:34 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 08:28 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If this is just hitting your way, feel honored. I haven't seen a 22LR or mag on the shelf in about a year. I've also heard rumor of store employees sucking them up at their discount and listing locally or on forums at outrageous prices.
Old 03-27-14, 08:55 AM   #12
bassboogieman

They are available here, but usually limited to one box (525) per day. So...... how much are you willing to pay for say a hundred rounds of .22LR, y'know I'm on a fixed income...

THAT'S A JOKE GUYS, don't fill my PM inbox full of hate mail...

All ammo is getting ridiculous, one shop I go to does not even post the price of ammo so you have to go to the register to find out. Yesterday I nearly fell over - literally, from shock - when I found out the box (50) of .45 LC was $48.00. Of course they were out of the cowboy .45 I usually buy (cheaper, YES!) for practice, so the box I bought was jacketed loads, but dayum nearly a buck a shot is getting nutz.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.