Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-01-05, 07:10 PM   #1
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Do they hit more than once when it's cold?

I went fishing today for about 2.5 hours. I got 7-10 hits, 2 hooked, 1 landed (about 4lbs.) The hooks on the lipless rattler I was using aren't very sharp. I know that is part of the reason I did not hook more. I was using a stop and go retrieve. I reeled in about 4 feet then let it sit for about 3 seconds. The water was muddy - less than a foot visibility. The air temperature was about 50. It appears to me the fish are now getting sluggish around where I live. The four pounder hit the lure on the move but did not hook himself. So, I let it sit for a few seconds. Then he hit it again when I started to reel again. Based on your experience, are bass likely to hit a second time when the water is cold? Or, are they so sluggish they don't go after a lure again? Each time I got a hit and didn't hook it, I let the lure sit for a few seconds before beginning to retrieve it again.The one I landed was the only one to hit the lure twice.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 08:00 PM   #2
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You got problems if bass are hitting cranks and not hooking up at all. I would change out the hooks
Old 12-01-05, 08:08 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't think the water temp has that much to do with it-If they want it and they miss it they will hit it again regardless of the water temp.

Do yourself a favor-next time you are WalMart or someplace that sells tackle get yourself a hook sharpener. I use one of these:

They cost about $5 and are worth their weight in gold at times. I almost never throw a bait without checking to make sure the hook is sharp first, and if there is a knock against traps it is that the hooks are dull right out of the box. I've found that after using the sharpener I don't need to change the hooks.
Old 12-01-05, 08:17 PM   #4
rrw4258

i find that they will take it again in colder waters but take it better in warmer water.
Old 12-01-05, 10:10 PM   #5
zooker

that is why the first thing i do to any crank -except lucky craft-are put on gamakatsu trebles or mustad tripple grip trebles..

zooker
Old 12-01-05, 10:17 PM   #6
NCYankee

I knew the dull hooks were a problem, but I was surprised they didn't hit the lure again. It was the first time I used that lure. I'll definitely remember to check all lures when I buy them.
Old 12-01-05, 10:20 PM   #7
zooker

stop checkin start changing. if it is a bill lewis ratl trap i can tell you the hooks suck. have had no problem with cotten cordell's or strike kings. i still change the hooks..

zooker
Old 12-01-05, 10:49 PM   #8
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
that is why the first thing i do to any crank -except lucky craft-are put on gamakatsu trebles or mustad tripple grip trebles..

zooker
I agree with zooker CHANGE THE HOOKS TO GAMAKATSU, even if the fish don't really hit a bait very good you will still hook them most of the time.

NCYankee I know no matter the water temp. with soft plastics I get two hits out of 90% of the fish I miss the first time.
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 09:14 AM   #9
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

if i were u i wuld try putting a bigger hook on the back and a smallerhook on the front. but u need to buy new hooks
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-05, 10:48 AM   #10
basstech

The other thing to note with those baits is how they are taking in. Did you catch the fish you did land on the back hook like they grabbed from behind. If so you might change size or color of the bait. I went last sunday for about 2hrs. Water temp was about 48 to 50 degrees and the air temp was about the same. They were inhaling my rattle trap. Severall fish had the bait nearly in thier gullet. Also use more of a yo-yo retrieve rather than a reel and stop/stop and go retrieve. And like Zooker said, change out the hooks but don't put a smaller one on front and use gamagatsu's...but do check the points cause they do tend to bend up easily, even fish can bent the points on those but I find that happens more often with the EWG worm hooks.
Old 12-04-05, 10:50 AM   #11
pig n jig

I do think bass will hit a lure more than once.I caught a bass with a triangular scar on its side twice in the same day, out of the same area. Odds are it was the same fish instead of 2 different fish with the same scar. But then there are people who hook fish during practice to prevent his apponents from catching them tournament day ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 01:32 PM   #12
bassnman30

I have had bass strike a lure with it's mouth closed in order to kill the bait. In the event that this happens, just throw in the same place and chances are that the same fish will bite your bait vs. try and just kill it.
Old 12-05-05, 08:17 PM   #13
NCYankee

I hadn't heard of a bass trying to kill the bait first, but that is what it felt like when I caught the 4lber. I swear he smacked the lure first then came back and inhaled it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.