Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-14-07, 11:11 PM   #1
gdoss
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Aluminum boat leaks

I seem to have more problems than answers these days. What do you recommend to fix leaks on aluminum boats. Somebody has already put some goop on this bass tracker, but some spots are still leaking. The stuff that is on it is aluminum colored and is somewhat plyable. But it cracks and there are the leaks. Ideas?

South GA redneck
gdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 11:30 PM   #2
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

GDOSS,
Cabelas or BPS used to have a stick sealant that you heat with a propane torch and it flows in around the leaking rivets. I have not seen it lately, but then, I have not been looking for it. You might check both catalogs in the boating section. If it is not in there, check out www.Jannsnetcraft.com

JackL
Old 05-14-07, 11:42 PM   #3
gdoss
BassFishin.Com Member

I saw a video on the net about that stuff. It looked pretty neat and strong. How do you get the stuff already on the boat off and how do you turn the boat over to melt the stick into the hole?
Old 05-17-07, 04:50 PM   #4
bassinbob

Some of the rivits came out on my boat. I was told to try JBweld. I did. The inside of the boat is bone dry now. Stuff is amazing. Easy to work with also.

Bob
Old 05-17-07, 09:03 PM   #5
gdoss
BassFishin.Com Member

JB weld is what I used. Seems great. Thanks for advice.

So GA Redneck
Old 05-17-07, 10:25 PM   #6
Lonewolf
BassFishin.Com Member

JB weld.... That stuff is priceless. There ain't nothing that cant be fixed with that stuff.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 02:32 PM   #7
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

JB Weld has come in handy for me. A buddy and I borrowed a boat from an old man one time and totally forgot to take the drain plug with us. We stopped at a store and ran into a guy that my buddy knew. He gave us some JB Weld putty to plug that hole up with. It worked perfect. We ended up knocking it out with a hammer and a peice of metal after we were back home. It was a b!tch to get out too.
Old 05-25-07, 07:27 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

JB weld or a good heli-arc hand.
Old 05-29-07, 09:10 AM   #9
Recon8541
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have an 85 traker that leaked like a sprinkler. Heres what I did to it about 2 months ago. I pulled it from the water, and dropped a garden hose in it. I figured if water runs in it would have to run out as well. It worked. Apparently the keel strip that runs down the bottom of the boat from front to back in the middle had several leaking rivets. I started drilling them out 10 at a time, then I found some tapered self tapping sheet metal screws that were slightly bigger than the rivet holes.

I then took a product called quik steel, it comes in a stick, you just pinch off a piece, kneed it and apply.

I applied it to the threads on the tapered self tapers and ran them into the holes. The self tapers cut their own threads and the quik steel acts as a thread sealant. It worked perfectly, I have had NO more water in the boat at all.

I might also mention I have used jb weld before, and it always worked for awhile, but it is brittle and would crack and come off.

Hope this suggestion helps someone with a leaky boat.

Recon
Old 05-29-07, 11:06 PM   #10
nuclearpenguin
BassFishin.Com Member

I use JB Weld for alot of automotive related stuff, and it would work great for sealing holes in a boat. Make sure you rough up the area you are applying it to (sandpaper or a wire wheel works great), and try to get the resin/hardener ratio as close to 1:1 as possible. If you get the mix right and the surface is roughened up, it shouldnt crack off.
nuclearpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 06:22 PM   #11
Rumrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

If the boat is riveted...try peening them back. Get a buddy and set a hammer on one side and hit a few times the other. Has always worked for me. oh, if you can get to both sides.
Rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-07, 04:30 PM   #12
Robrote
BassFishin.Com Member

Default leaking boat

One thing I did to cure my boat of leaks was bought two cans of automotice undercoating and sprayes the inside of the boat with a good amount of material. Let it ooze into the rivet areas. Its pliable, fairly light and water proof. I used it and have virtually a dry boat.

If you want to spend some $$ you can have a spray on bedliner (rhino, lineX) applied to the underside of the boat. Drawbacks, cost and the surface is not smooth, so launching the boat can be a little bit more dificult on a bunk trailer.

Hope this help.

Rob
Robrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 11:17 AM   #13
gdoss
BassFishin.Com Member

Question

I have used JBweld and it worked fine until I hit a couple of big wakes. Seems everthing busted loose with a little pressure. I have about 15 leaks and some hold and some don't. Can't get to inside, as this is ranger boat full of foam. I even found a couple of places that were cracked between rivets. I tried some Butyl type sealant last week, but it takes 7 days to cure, so don't know how that is going to work. This is sure a deterent to this aluminum boat. Still willing to try, so keep sending me ideas

Thanks
Old 06-03-07, 12:12 PM   #14
Vabass22

If I were you, I would try Recons suggestions, or get a marine centers advice and help.
Old 06-20-07, 02:58 AM   #15
nuclearpenguin
BassFishin.Com Member

We have been trying to seal up the holes in my buddy's alum boat so we can take it out next week. Finally today we tried this stuff called "Water Weld". It's fairly similar to JB weld (same company) but its more puttyish, like the quik steel that was mentioned earlier. It's easily to apply and seems like it'll hold up better than regular JB weld. The best part: It is designed to be applied/set/cured underwater. So we'll keep a stick of it on the boat and if we spring a pinhole, we can fix it on the spot!
nuclearpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 11:55 PM   #16
ken kinser
BassFishin.Com Member

JB weld the rivits that leak, then mix fiber glass resin and paint the bottom of the boat. you don't need any of the fabric just paint the resin on and it wont leak anymore
ken kinser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.