Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-22-08, 09:23 PM   #1
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default color test

Went out to the reservoir today and found some dinks loiterin' amidst a stump field. Thought it might be interesting to get their reaction to different colors. I tied on a C-rig and 1/0 offset. Threw several 4" lizards and these are the results: Green Pumpkin-2, Cherry Seed-0, Salt n Pepper-0, Pumpkin/Chart.-0, Black-0, White-0. Threw the GP again and got 2 more. I tried to keep the retrieves similar (number, location and speed) just to be a little more credible. I have always had some question in the back of mind whether or not color was THAT important. I know it's not that interesting, but it sure made a huge believer out of me.

Biggest thing I caught was a 12" piglet on a thunderstruck finesse jig... GPish with some orange and brown and a Renegade wall crawl trailer.

-Pig, Worldwide supplier of Senseless Trivia, LLC
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:31 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Kory would be proud!

-Lunk-
Old 03-22-08, 09:54 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IMO, color does make a difference. Just the other day, my dad and I were fishin in our pond. We were both using Zoom Super Flukes on 4/0 offset hooks. I was using a Watermelon Candy color and he was using Albino. I caught two fish, he caught nothing.

BB
Old 03-22-08, 10:04 PM   #4
pignjig

I went back and read that post... What I should have said was that, although color usually makes a difference, I was surprised that not a single bite came off any other color. It's just reasonable to think that a bait like a lizard might cause a reaction strike, at least. I probably did something different with the other colors than I did with the GP. Who knows??? Under no circumstances am I saying that color ain't important (I hope...)

-Pig
Old 03-22-08, 10:51 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

i personally think that shades of colors are far more important than the exact color. for example i think if a fish bites a watermelon colored bait, chances are it would have bit the same bait in green pumpkin. so the green is the important part. just my way of thinking though and i have been known to be wrong. i also think it is better to be throwing the wrong color in the right spot than to throw the right color in the wrong spot.
Old 03-22-08, 10:58 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think fish key into different colors during different conditions (night, day, cloudy, sunny, etc.) That's why I try to get soft plastics with multiple colors like Power Baits Watermelon Purple Red Flake worms. There are three different colors so if the fish like any of them, you've got em in one bait.

BB
Old 03-22-08, 11:24 PM   #7
pignjig

What I might do is get a whole slew of colors/laminates/combinations and try it again next week (maybe tomorrow, if I'm good). Maybe do the same color different "shade" thing as well as the color with fleck thing... Who am I kidding? This is just rationalizing the call of the bait monkey, isn't it?

-Pig
Old 03-23-08, 01:33 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

hey pig by the way, glad you had one mount a thunderstruck jig!!!
Old 03-23-08, 03:10 AM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i personally think that shades of colors are far more important than the exact color. for example i think if a fish bites a watermelon colored bait, chances are it would have bit the same bait in green pumpkin. so the green is the important part. just my way of thinking though and i have been known to be wrong. i also think it is better to be throwing the wrong color in the right spot than to throw the right color in the wrong spot.
With senko style baits I can nail them with watermelon, but when I run out of those, I can't get bit with green pumpkin. I'll have to experiment more, since watermelon is more translucent, it might be due to weather conditions.

I agree about throwing the wrong color in the right spot versus throwing the right color in the wrong spot adage wholeheartedly.
Old 03-23-08, 12:08 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i have heard several pros say that too many people spend too much time focusing on color. i do think that there are those times when color will matter, and that is what i tell my wife so she will let me spend a small fortune on different colors of the same baits. the cool thing about color is everyone will have their own opinion. and there are a few facts that science can teach us but the bottom line is we will never know if we caught a fish because of a certain color, or if that fish would have bit whatever came by at that time so it is always a good subject to debate.
Old 03-23-08, 03:46 PM   #11
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
... and that is what i tell my wife so she will let me spend a small fortune on different colors of the same baits.
I try the same thing with Mom and Dad!

-Lunk-
Old 03-23-08, 05:29 PM   #12
links_man2

You mean they make colors other than Green Pumpkin with chart Spike-It tail dip?
Old 03-23-08, 06:06 PM   #13
pignjig

C-Rig- Ya, man! That little fella snarfed that jig up bad. Those are the first ones I've bought that actually keep standing all through the retrieve.

PK- I know exactly what you mean about the senkos. Sometimes those rascally bass will key in on a certain color and that's it. Come to think of it, that's probably what I was experiencing with the lizards because I went back and caught two small piglets on a 4" junebug. I was also thinking that that area was were I saw the fathead minnows a few weeks ago. Maybe they were feeding on them when I was throwing and the GP matched the minnows?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.