Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-20-09, 02:50 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I finally got to wet a hook.....

For only the second time this year I got to go fishin....ain't that terrible? Anyway, I realized my buddy that I fish with and that has a boat was too busy and just not interested enough to make the time to go fishin lately. So after several repeated offerings from him to let me take his boat I decided to take him up on it and ask the wife if she's like to go with me since it was her day off. To my surprise she said yes.....so she ran to Walmart and got herself a fishin license and she insisted she use her own fishin pole, so we dug her crappy old $19 Zebco spinning combo outta the closet and I spooled it up with new line and off we went for an afternoon of something....either we'll have fun or we'll be callin for an ambulance or sumthin????

It was a typical blue sky day without a cloud in the sky.....has been ever since the rains stopped a few days ago......the water was really murky from all the run off, but was a warm 75 degrees. I never know what the cathair to start fishin with on a day like this.....I swear.....I read and read and research and then I dunno what to do.....Jeeeeez

Not to mention I had new tackle thats been sent to me since the storm that ate my old stuff.....alot of the new lures i'd never used before, so I just had too many choices....aaaarg....what to do? So I decided to tie a chartruese spinnerbait on for the wife figuring it'll be her best bet and simple to use....throw it out and wind it back, and only one hook to deal with....so she's all set.....Well, once she gets all her tanning lotions applied and her pepsi and snackbar all set up, and her bathin suit all adjusted correctly and her hair tucked inside her hat just right and her sunglasses cleaned and positioned correctly that is.......NOW she can lounge back in the chair and start fishin....lol

Ok she's all set now what the heck am I gonna use cause I just gave her what I would've probably started with any other time, and I didn't want to throw the same thing she had sooooooooooo....I went with some plastics and tied on an anaconda and we're off.

My first cast with my old Abu 5500 resulted in a birdsnest bout the size of yer fist......Aaaaaaarg......not the way to start out.....so after bout 15 seconds of pickin at it I just put it down and picked up my only other rod, my bps extreme and fished with that instead.....I eventually came back to the Abu once I remembered Kevins backlash trick....it took me a few minutes but it worked and I was back to two rods.....Thanks Kevin.

We messed around in a cove near the boatramp for half an hour or so without a nibble so I headed up the lake to another cove that offered a touch of shade along the bank and it was a much faster dropoff into to deeper water than most of the surrounding shoreline.....the high water was well up into the vegatation on the bank so i'm pitchin up into that......I switched to a Spacemonkey for awhile and still wasn't doin no good. So I thought plastics might not be the way to go and tied on a shade colored DT4......dozen casts later i'd boated a nice little chunck of about a pound and a half or so......dozen casts or so later boom....another fish but I could tell it was a better fish......He went close to three pounds I'd suppose.....Now were talkin

I think it was about this time the wife said....."I need one of those things you've got tied on"....."Mines not working".....lol. I just said "honey your bait will catch fish, I promise, just stay with it awhile longer.....Fortunately she did and about 10 minutes later I feel the boat rockin and shes yellin "I got a fish, I got a fish".....lol And sure enough about that time a nice two pounder broke the surface and did a little dance for her......All I could think about was that crappy old rod and reel she was using and would it cave in or not....lol.....Thankfully it didn't and she was able to get it landed. I was tickled to death for her and she was pretty darn happy bout it too.....(I was glad the spinnerbait pulled thru for me)....lol.

We never caught anything else the rest of the trip, but we did have fun.....she must have caught a touch of fever.....bass fever that is cause she was constantly tellin me "I needed to move the boat to a new spot" cause she hadn't got a bite yet.....hehehehe.....it was funny....I'd just grin and say "Yes dear" and troll further down the bank.

She's already said something about "the next time".....so who knows she might become my regular partner or sumthin....lol.

Last edited by 66KingFisher; 05-20-09 at 07:57 PM.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 02:59 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fishing with the better half is almost as fun as taking kids, just remember to stay out of hooking distance
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 03:08 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Attaboy, Michael. I'm glad you got out there and had some success, not to mention you're keeping your sense of humor. That's a very well-written story, too. I enjoyed reading it.

I think your wife and my wife have both been bitten by the bass bug. Now that Louann has caught a couple, she's getting more and more interested in it. Of course, that means more money at BPS, Walmart, Academy Sports....
Old 05-20-09, 03:47 PM   #4
66KingFisher

I hear ya, but i'm doubting that the baitmonkey will bite my ol'lady, but he'll probably jump off her shoulder onto mine and start biteing me for her.....lol.....I was glad she went and caught a bass and I look forward to her going with me again.
Old 05-20-09, 04:23 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

"We messed around in a cove near the boatramp for half an hour or so without a nibble"

Sounds like fun!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 04:52 PM   #6
bamabassman

66, fantastic story. and like mb said well written and great humor. yep, my wife is the same way too. "move closer to the bank". "get me another lure". hahahaha, i too say "yes dear". smiling all the way. you are well on your way to a great "fishing" partner,lol. nibbles CAN be fun when the fish ain't biting too. hahahaha.
Old 05-20-09, 06:29 PM   #7
bcklash

Great story and well written. Hope to see another report like that very soon.
Old 05-20-09, 07:55 PM   #8
bamabassman

i am courious micheal. did ya not think of using a worm? after all it passed the tests didn't it? hahahahahaha.
Old 05-20-09, 08:08 PM   #9
66KingFisher

It did Bama.....it did.....don't know why I didn't try it.....I guess after the anaconda worm didn't work I didn't know what to do....lol.

I swear when I get on the water to fish.....and I need to call upon all the knowledge about this sport that I keep storin away in my brain somewhere....it suddenly all gets tossed into a blender within my brain, and gets set on the highest speed about that time and won't shut off.....how the heck am I suppose to know what to do and when to do it now?.....its just a big jumble of techniques and tidbits of info whirlin around in there....bits and pieces all swirled together....Its a wonder I catch anything at all.....lol
Old 05-20-09, 09:22 PM   #10
bamabassman

hahaha, yea it happens to me too man. it DOES get confusing don't it. but also it is so much more fun trying to figure it all out too. and the worm i was referring to was the drop shot. or maybe a lizard in the grass. see i am ALWAYS ABOUT THE LIZARD,lol.
Old 05-20-09, 09:54 PM   #11
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Haha! Sounds like a good/fun trip! well if she does become your fishing partner... at least you'll have someone to be with... I mean, when I take my mom and sister out fishing... Im the one that ends up changing the hooks, taking the fish off the hook, throwing it, fixing the rod..untangling line..etc.. but it feels good when you get someone else "HOOKED" on fishing
Old 05-20-09, 09:59 PM   #12
Rebbasser

66, taking the wife to the lake can be fun. Mine had never been bass fishing before we went. The first trip she didn't get one but the second one she caught one on a pink (her favorite color-go figure) Zoom super Fluke. It was a dink, but she still brags about it. I always take a picture of good fish I catch and have them on an upstairs wall. Her fish picture is hanging right there with them, and she shows it to everyone who comes over.
Old 05-21-09, 05:32 PM   #13
zooker

a dt4 huh... go figure...

zooker
Old 05-21-09, 05:44 PM   #14
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great story and glad your wife got in on the fun.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 05:57 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Awesome read King. I have taken my wife a few times, but she is more in to the catishing and bream gig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.