Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-14-09, 10:30 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pleasure boating morons

No secret, I'm new to boating having recently gotten a boat.
So we're out fishing on one of the finger lakes (Cayuga) about 30 yards from shore. From the south comes a boat on plane that runs between us and the shore! There's a whole friggin (good sized) lake behind us, but this bozo comes full bore right where I'm fishin!... then smiles and waves as he blasts by... I just shook my head.

My young mentor, Al said "when that happens to me I cast as hard as I can right into the side of their boat". And if they stop to question his motives, Al screams "Can't you see I'm !@#$ fishing here you !@#$ - stay the !@#$ away from me."
Al can be a force to be reckoned with!

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-14-09 at 10:36 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 10:41 AM   #2
cassidyta

Sorry to hear about your run in with the pleasure boaters. I am even sorrier to tell you that it won't be your last encounter.

When out on water with pleasure boaters, I keep a 9 inch AC plug tied on. While I have removed the hooks, but the boaters don't know that. This bait has worked as a decent warning shot in the past.
Old 08-14-09, 10:55 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

AC plug? Sorry...what does the AC stand for? My brain must be running a day ahead and is already into the weekend.
Old 08-14-09, 11:09 AM   #4
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Abercrombie...
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 11:29 AM   #5
cassidyta

They are just a large swimbait. I am not even sure what they stand for.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageACSWIM-ACMW.html
The older one that I have does not have a lip, but rather a beveled head.
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_122877_renderset_01?$main-Large$
Old 08-14-09, 12:23 PM   #6
Raul

Pleasure boaters, water skiers, jet skiers ---->

Man I love when my everyday lake is 2/3 full or less, since itīs choked with stumps, brush and standing timber they donīt have much of the lake left to perform their stunts ( only the lower 1/3 of the lake at the dam ) and since they canīt run at warp speed all up and down the lake they donīt come.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 01:19 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

btw, Got nothin against pleasure boating - I like to cruise/tour too - but how much sense does it really take to steer clear of folks fishing, in canoe's and kyaks and such?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 03:42 PM   #8
Raul

Neither do I have anything against pleasure boating, what I hate is them running up and down the lake at warp speed too close to everybody who is in the water, where is it written that in order to have fun you gotta run like mad ?

In my everyday lake seeing a bassboat is a very rare event, the lake isnīt that big, what you do see a lot are 10-12 ft tubs, kayaks, belly boats and kids bathing in tubes along the shoreline, you can see the danger moronic pleasure boaters, water skiers and jet skiers represent to the rest of the people enjoying the lake, I donīt mind them cruising the lake but apparently moron is the common denominator and not the exception.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 04:28 PM   #9
Bassboss

Damn! I hate pleasure boaters, and jet skiers! whenever (or almost) we fish salt water, people come racing by us... never mind it's a no wake zone!!!
Old 08-14-09, 08:23 PM   #10
bamabassman

take a 1 ounce lead weight, tie on the biggest treble hooks you can find. then throw it right at them. trust me, they WILL remember you their next trip out.
Old 08-14-09, 09:54 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
take a 1 ounce lead weight, tie on the biggest treble hooks you can find. then throw it right at them. trust me, they WILL remember you their next trip out.
The only problem with that, Bama is that you will always remember your "husband" from your time in prison more.
Old 08-14-09, 10:14 PM   #12
1/4 stick

Might be a fun time to keep a paintball gun handy.
Old 08-14-09, 10:52 PM   #13
cassidyta

I got it. Buy the most realistic baby doll you can find. Toss it in front of their speeding boat. If that is too much for you, half of a water ski and scream your head off.
The pure fear of thinking they ran over someone might just slow them down.
Old 08-14-09, 11:03 PM   #14
Bender

The boat wakes used to bother me until I fished Lake Saint Clair and found out what real boat wakes were about, real 4 footers coming off 50+' boats. Now I just roll with the lake but I do get very angry when their moronic behavior becomes a safety issue. You should check your state's laws, but here in Michigan there is an Angler Harassment Law and the DNR will enforce it. Make sure to get the boat numbers and call it in. I would only do that if the boat did it more than once since they are obviously harassing you.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 11:07 PM   #15
66KingFisher

I fully understand your issue of the guy running between you and the shoreline your fishing....thats just stupid on so many levels....I dunno whats the appropriate answer to that problem.

But on that subject, I would like to know what opinions are concerning the running speed as you pass near an angler fishing from a boat......I used to fish alot of rivers.....and when some guy would come screamin up the river and blew by you at warp speed he actually puts off very little wake.....so the anglers boat isn't tossed around much when his waves roll by.....Now, on the other end of the spectrum you've got a guy screamin up river and just as he gets near your fishing area he shuts it down real quick and eases on by before reingaging warp drive.....Now, by shutting down suddenly his boat creates a much bigger set of waves that will rock the anglers boat severely......You know what i'm sayin?

So my question becomes.....which way is showing the most respect for the angler?....Plus, as the angler which way would you prefer to have folks pass you under simular circumstances?

Have you ever noticed that most boaters run around at full throttle all the time?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 07:57 AM   #16
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

when i am passing some one if it is a narrow river i will slow down way a head of time but if i think i can pass safely on plane i will do it on the wider rivers 75 yrds or so. now if im in a tournament i will push my rule a little as long as it safe. At one of the lakes i fish (chick lake here in va) the west end is vary narrow and they have a lot of tournaments there, so when im fishing (not in a tournament)and one of them blow by me it don't bother me as much but you can tell witch boat is in the turn they put ribbon on the trolling motor (good idea i think for any tournament)
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 06:03 PM   #17
toppwatr

Got a couple of good Ideas-
1- install cannons on the side of your boat
2- get a Life size remote control pirate attack ship with extra cannons
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 06:26 PM   #18
bassackwards

broad sides BOOM!!!
Old 08-15-09, 06:36 PM   #19
Stew

They have the right to be on the water but most of them are rude to fishermen.

Here's what I do:

I know the laws, and if one so much as crosses one by a hair I immediately call the law on them.

If all of us fishermen did that, pleasure boaters might on the whole learn better manners.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 06:41 PM   #20
bassackwards

don't think that will work. anyone can get a boat no license required. the older boaters are good most of the time the new boaters are the prob. do ya see were im coming from
Old 08-15-09, 07:05 PM   #21
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
don't think that will work. anyone can get a boat no license required. the older boaters are good most of the time the new boaters are the prob. do ya see were im coming from

not in my state man you got 6 months you can use a new boat without having a boater safety license after that if you get caught out without it it is a hefty fine , you also need the license even if you are in a electric only boat . But most people are a-holes on the water I grew up wakeboarding and water sking on Candlewood lake and pleasure boaters are just as careless towards other pleasure boaters as they are anglers .

Jim
Old 08-15-09, 07:13 PM   #22
bamabassman

KNOWFEAR,HEHE, naaaaa........ they have to PROVE it was you that threw it don't they? you can always throw the body parts and hook along with the weight in the water. believe it or not a friend and i DID this to a couple of idiots a long time ago. my friend took off half the guys ear. they left us along after that.
Old 08-15-09, 07:15 PM   #23
bassackwards

ok ok in va if your under 25 i think you need a safety course thats it i think. it should be like a driver lic.
Old 08-15-09, 07:15 PM   #24
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
KNOWFEAR,HEHE, naaaaa........ they have to PROVE it was you that threw it don't they? you can always throw the body parts and hook along with the weight in the water. believe it or not a friend and i DID this to a couple of idiots a long time ago. my friend took off half the guys ear. they left us along after that.
Nothing like putting that out there huh Lmao

BA we only have to take the course once and then you never have to take it again

Jim
Old 08-15-09, 07:39 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I know a ton of people who have drivers licenses and still drive like idiots. I don't think it would help that much with the boating.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.