Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-17-09, 02:25 AM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My first try a repainting a crankbait.

Well I finally got around to tryin my hand at repainting a crankbait and since a few others here had posted their recent lure creations I decided to share mine as well.

Either crank might be recognized by one of our members since it was sent to me as a gift with other lures after I lost all my stuff in the tornado...... They were a couple of cranks I received that I just didn't like the colors and decided i'd change them.....The Rapala shad rap was a scratched up chrome so I figured i'd try a flat sided bait also.

Being my first attempt I went with a simple design....something that didn't require a template....those will come later....hopefully...lol. I did use some prizm flake in one of the lower layers to get some flash....it looks cool in the sunlight...flashes all the colors of the rainbow....Guess thats what I'll call these....my Rainbow shad pattern....hahaha.

Thanks for looking and I'd love to hear your comments....PS...the flake is more noticable if you inlarge the pics to full size first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-crank-repaint before.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	4082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc-crank-repaint-after.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	4083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadrap-repaint-01.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	4084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadrap-repaint-01b.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	4085  
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 02:44 AM   #2
DonaldBreland

Nice Job. What would you charge to paint one for me.
Old 08-17-09, 02:55 AM   #3
islandbass

Those are nice paint jobs. I really like that shade of purple. If you don't have a name for that color scheme, how about purple haze?

What airbrush are you using?
Old 08-17-09, 03:07 AM   #4
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Those are nice paint jobs. I really like that shade of purple. If you don't have a name for that color scheme, how about purple haze?

What airbrush are you using?
That purple color is violet kandy and its made by House of Kolor......but violet haze doesn't have the same ring too it....lol. I use several different model airbrushes when I paint, but for these lures, everything from primer, to colors to final clearcoat was sprayed thru an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed.
Old 08-17-09, 03:34 AM   #5
islandbass

Thanks! I am leaning toward an IWATA Eclipse CS. (Jimmy Hendrix song in the background, "Purple Haze.")
Old 08-17-09, 06:20 AM   #6
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks! I am leaning toward an IWATA Eclipse CS. (Jimmy Hendrix song in the background, "Purple Haze.")

"Scuse me while I catch a bass!"

Those look great 66! I wish I could paint like that. I'm grown and can't stay in the lines when I color with my son in his coloring books. he get's on me too, I tell him I'm an abstract artist.
Old 08-17-09, 08:17 AM   #7
bcklash

WOW those look great
Old 08-17-09, 08:25 AM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sweet looking crank!! I've never seen very many cranks that color... I doubt the bass have either!
Old 08-17-09, 12:55 PM   #9
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice! I love HOK Kandies. What are you clearing them with? Product and equipment? Thanks
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 01:59 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

that is great 66! i bet you could make a lot of money on the side paintint baits for people.
Old 08-17-09, 07:48 PM   #11
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
that is great 66! i bet you could make a lot of money on the side paintint baits for people.
I hope so....That'd be real nice

SAC, i'm painting with Automotive urethanes for the most part....Clearcoat was a 4:1 urethane....I put about 3 heavy coats on each bait with my Iwata Eclipse airbrush....in fact everything from primer, to paint, to clear was all sprayed thru the Eclipse.
Old 08-17-09, 07:49 PM   #12
Jim80

66king man those look great I can't say enough about how impressed i am they really look sweet .

Jim
Old 08-17-09, 10:52 PM   #13
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I hope so....That'd be real nice

SAC, i'm painting with Automotive urethanes for the most part....Clearcoat was a 4:1 urethane....I put about 3 heavy coats on each bait with my Iwata Eclipse airbrush....in fact everything from primer, to paint, to clear was all sprayed thru the Eclipse.
first off, real nice job.
secondly... doncha think that using HOK on baits would be a tad overkill/espensive? of course i understand you must have tons of it anyway, but still.

And let me know how the clearcoat does? epoxy is more traditional but i never knew why people didnt spray clear their baits so frequently
Old 08-18-09, 12:59 AM   #14
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
first off, real nice job.
secondly... doncha think that using HOK on baits would be a tad overkill/espensive? of course i understand you must have tons of it anyway, but still.

And let me know how the clearcoat does? epoxy is more traditional but i never knew why people didnt spray clear their baits so frequently
You are correct in that I already had a decent supply of HOK products and lots of misc PPG, Dupont and SW paints also......So using it for this right now was a no brainer.....If I had to purchase all my paints from scratch i'd probably be like most of the hobbiest lure painters and use Createx....I've got a full set of the products in stock....I just don't like waiting for acrylic paint to dry....lol...even when using a heat gun to help it along....with uro's its dry almost instantly.

Personally , I don't think its gonna be too expensive to use on baits....simply because the amount used on a crankbait is so small.....The way I paint most of the time is to use the KK series(kandy koncentrates)and mix them with intercoat clear so I can control the density of the color....i'm only using drops of the concentrated color at a time....literally......So NO, I don't think its overkill nor too expensive....it just doesn't appear to take much paint to cover a crankbait.

As for using urethane clear coats.....from what I can tell its what most of the best custom lure painters are using....Alot of them use HOK paints as well.....So who am I too question the pros?....lol.....Besides I've already got a couple of gals of clear already on hand so's I might as well use it.

Thanks for the comments and the compliments everyone....I really appreciate it.
Old 08-18-09, 08:53 AM   #15
crankybait

Gotcha... yeah I think my problem is just using too much paint on a real small budget, i suppose. especially when i mix colors and have nowhere to keep them, it gets wasted. and i had no clue uros were used as clearcoats by most pros... then again ive only talked to two pros bout that haha.
Old 08-18-09, 12:43 PM   #16
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

HOK isn't that much more $$$$, that's all I'll use nowadays. 2oz of KK will last a very long time if you're using them on baits.

Hey 66, isn't the Eclipse CS a beast.? It will spray anything and well, all around great work horse.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 06:08 PM   #17
keithdog

Those look fantastic Kingfisher!!! No one would ever guess it was your first try. Well done buddy. Also, I didn't know about the tornado. When did that happen???
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:51 PM   #18
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
HOK isn't that much more $$$$, that's all I'll use nowadays. 2oz of KK will last a very long time if you're using them on baits.

Hey 66, isn't the Eclipse CS a beast.? It will spray anything and well, all around great work horse.
Since I purchase my paints thru one of the local jobbers most of the time I get a discount so i'm almost payin wholesale for Hok.....it really isn't much more than other brands and at times its actually cheaper.

Yes, I love my Eclipse....its gets used more then about any airbrush I own....wish a had a dozen of them.

Keithdog, our little town got slammed head on by an EF3 tornado on the evening of 4/9/09.....our house was smack dab in the middle of the destruction path.....We survived but sustanded alot of damage and loss.
Old 08-18-09, 09:49 PM   #19
66KingFisher

I thought i'd try and post this video...it really helps show the prizm flake effect better then still photos do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf1NPiU1kQ
Old 08-19-09, 10:19 PM   #20
bamabassman

66............man what a paint job. i have to tell you that i am willing to purchase one of these babies if you are willing to sell em. fantastic job. truly a fantastic job.
Old 08-20-09, 12:18 PM   #21
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
66............man what a paint job. i have to tell you that i am willing to purchase one of these babies if you are willing to sell em. fantastic job. truly a fantastic job.
PM sent......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.