Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-10-05, 04:57 PM   #1
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default What got You into Bass Fishing?

For me it was a progression of live bait and getting the bluegills figured out, then crappy , and I would catch a randem bass,but never by figuring it out, just by chance.
I then got on a huge walleye kick from early 80's to about 90, because we have so many people that hit Erie , its only hours away.
Being a steel worker on 3rd shift a coworker got me exposed to all fishing and then concentrated on bass, and I probably only used the culprit worm for years before getting hooked on buying tackle that BASSMASTER was promoting that month in there articles. Â*I've had some salt water experience off cape cod and that was sweet.
So just wondered how many started out just for bass or had a salt water background or just had granpa taking you to the pond as a kid
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 05:40 PM   #2
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Re: What got You into Bass Fishing?

welll, as akid my dad always took me fishing
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 05:50 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Almost exactly one year ago I met a kid a year older than me on a public dock while my little bro was fishing for brim. He said he fished teen tournaments and once he found out that I had a canoe, offered to take me fishing. I caught my first largemouth with him (and a frog-pattern jitterbug) about a week or two later. He taught me the basics of bass fishing and I took it from there. Now I fish a tournament with him about every month.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 07:19 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

well, i went up to my grandmas a few years ago, and my cousin and grandpa and i went out to the suwwannee to fish for channel cat. and i decided to fish under a tree with a bobber and live worm and caught my first bass. i just started goin back to that spot last summer to fish it. i really never got into it till about a year ago, then i started gettin into using artificials and was hooked from there. now i am an avid bass fisherman.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 08:42 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I got drinking and was hasseled by a state trooper, things got out of control, and before I knew it, they had to put 16 stitches in his face.They arrested me , after a breif trip to the hospital, I went to jail. I was facing 3-7 years in Attica prison.After getting a good lawyer,and a helpful letter from the D.A.,the judge reduced it to a conditional misdemeanor and 8 years probation.One of the conditions was I had to stay sober and no violations, traffic infractions or I go to prison for the maximum sentence. Needless to say, I have not drank since,took up fishing to fill in some space to kill, little did I know it would take up most of my time for so long with out growng tired of it.Please do not think that I am proud of what I have done to get where I am today, but I believe it was the best thing that ever happened to me.Thats why I started fishing, you all know why I can't stop fishing or you wouldn't be here at this site if you were able to quit. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 09:16 PM   #6
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

pig and jig,congratulations on turning your life around!!!
i got into catching bass when i was a kid and caught my first one.i just loved the feeling you get from it.they were harder to foolthan the bluegills so when you did catch one you were proud of it.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 09:59 PM   #7
ahlkajflakjj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ahlkajflakjj

My dad lol
ahlkajflakjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:02 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i grew up fishing for trout and salmon. while bass were consitered a trash fish-go figure- i relocated to the sunny south were there is very few trout indeed. i started learning southern style-ya there is a differance-from the crew i work with i was taken under there wing as it were. and have turned out better than some. i never said i was great i have my moments i am just s steady fisherman.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:04 PM   #9
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

My husband started taking me fishing and i loved it!!

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:05 PM   #10
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

My did started me perch jerking with a cane pole, graduated to that trusty Zebco, then got a spinning rod and started catching bass on cranks, topwaters and Mann's Jelly Worms. It went downhill from there ;D
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:35 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Rebbasser link=board=news;num=1113163037;start=0#9 date=04/10/05 at 21:05:30]My did started me perch jerking with a cane pole, graduated to that trusty Zebco, then got a spinning rod and started catching bass on cranks, topwaters and Mann's Jelly Worms. It went downhill from there ;D[/quote]

Did you know Lakeguide sells the Mann's Jelly worms

I got into bass fishing by a neighbor at the old coal pit. I've been fishing for as long as I can remember 8)

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:51 PM   #12
okefenokee010
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to okefenokee010

Within about 30 minutes of my birth, everybody was looking for my grandfathers. They had been there just a few minutes before. It turns out that they had gone to a nearby sporting goods store and made the clerk fill out a license for me, which they paid for. My first fishing license was issued within an hour of my birth. I didn't really stand a chance.
okefenokee010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 10:59 PM   #13
worm_warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Dad and my older brother when i was young fishing the sandusky river in Ohio. Caught alot of bass in the 80's.haha
worm_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 11:11 PM   #14
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
Did you know Lakeguide sells the Mann's Jelly worms
I know-caught my first worm bass on a grape Mann's Jelly Worm. Think I might still have some around here someplace.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 12:58 AM   #15
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Two years ago the owner's son of where I worked took me to the pond I talk about. We caught a ton of bass. Been hooked since then.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 12:19 PM   #16
windingriver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to windingriver

I grew up about a mile away from 3 small lakes that had bass, crappie, trout, bluegill, and catfish in them, and I would ride my bike to them and fish all day during the summer, at that time all I had were some rooster tails and a couple of rapalas, I would always talk to the older guys that were bass fishing in the lakes to learn more, before I knew it I was getting my dad to go and buy me plastic worms and other soft plastis, I have been fishing for bass for the last 20 years.
windingriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 05:53 PM   #17
n2b
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to n2b

My dad. ;D
n2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-05, 06:19 PM   #18
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

When I was a young kid (appx. 10) there were these guys who were like 16, up the road who had loads of tackle in there" two" sided tackle boxes. They had Ambassedeur reels and all the good stuff on the market (at that time). Thats what got me into this sport. There was no catch and release back then, so I would get to see the fish that they caught. Therefore, I started this bass fishing thing (back when Ranger had the square boats).Since then it's been about 30 yrs. I wish they could see me now. Or maybe I don't, these guys could be pro's knowing my luck.
I do still have my Pico Perch though, as well as my Bomber spinnerbaits.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 05:18 PM   #19
new2fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to new2fish

Went to a pond with a Mrtwister and a hook and boom! caught bass. it goes from there
new2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 07:34 PM   #20
southern_2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to southern_2

I saw another dude fishing and caught a huge bass. Thought I might have to try it, and have been addicted ever since...

Ryan
southern_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 08:34 PM   #21
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie

My friend told me about this site so......................this site got me into bass fishing!
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 08:41 PM   #22
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

tried it once with a friend and got hooked ..
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 09:41 PM   #23
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Well,for me it all started back around 1986.My older sister worked at a store that was closing out all of the fishing stuff.She brought home all kinds of rods,reels,crank baits,plastics and line.It sat in the garage for a couple of months,so i spooled up some line and the rest is history...........

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 10:49 PM   #24
bassguy2004

I first started fishing with my dad like most kids. He always fished for cats because he was from Arkansas, but the bass fishing was my wife's fault. I know, alot of people don't believe me, but it's true. A friend of hers husband wanted to start a bass club and she wanted me to go to the first meeting just to introduce myself to her friends husband. That was in 1980, well all I can say is thank you to my wife.
Old 04-12-05, 10:55 PM   #25
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

that gotta be great, because when you come home from a tackle shop with a $100+ bill, you can blame her for it ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.