Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-05-04, 02:02 PM   #1

Default alumium or ss

I fish in an area that is loaded with stumps and wood. No matter how careful I am,I can't help bending my alumium prop.Some have suggested I switch to a ss prop.Will putting on a ss and hitting wood damage my lower unit,or will the 75hp merc hub absorb any damage potential?PS,I run slowly through these spots. ??? ???
Old 08-05-04, 02:05 PM   #2
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: alumium or ss

Maybe you need to paddle. ;D ;D
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:50 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

MIKE,

When you hit a log with your prop, SUMPIN' GOTTA GIVE!!! When I had my Tracker I had aluminum props on my 50 HP Merc. On 1 fishing trip to Fork I had to have 3 props straightened when I got back. Since I have switched to 200 HP Mercs with SS props I have not bent a single one, however they are dinged up on the edges from rocks.
My suggestion is to buy a SS prop and insurance on your boat. $350 a year for insurance is cheaper than $1600 for a new bottom end. Just make sure you get the $100 deductible.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-04, 03:17 AM   #4
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Are you by any chance in the stick marsh? Bent two there myself, now just putt through until I get to the dike.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-04, 06:19 PM   #5

How did you guess?That place is murder,but the fishing is very good.Be careful out there.
Old 08-07-04, 12:42 AM   #6
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Always careful, Ive seen quite a few people jack their boats up by running to fast. Run the dike, backsides not bad but still need to pay attention. Water level is up my oak tree spot is no longer visible. Went to fish it tonight and had a reluctant 12' visitor refuse to leave. Bye the way I use ss and have a spare in the boat.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.