Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-05, 11:36 PM   #1
texasnitro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default rat-l-trap

well guys i just picked up some rapala rattle traps. 1.45 a peice not that bad. for rapala. but i was wondering when was the best time to use these things and how to present them.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 12:14 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Real versatile bait. You can just chunk and wind it, pump it, burn it, hang it up and rip it loose from weeds-just experiment. There really isn't a wrong way to fish it. One suggestion, though: Sharpen the hooks. Trap stock hooks are nortoriously dull.
Old 12-05-05, 12:50 AM   #3
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

I would just change the hooks out altogether.
-Chris
Old 12-05-05, 03:38 AM   #4
seaphantom

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom

Fish where the real shad are, below the school.

seaphantom
Old 12-05-05, 05:50 AM   #5
zooker

definatly change the hooks.

zooker
Old 12-05-05, 12:41 PM   #6
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

since nobodies mentioned it, you might wanna change the hooks
Old 12-05-05, 01:10 PM   #7
bassnman30

I have one on each time I go out.
As far as origional Rat-l-Traps are concerned, I don't use these any more. I changed over to a higher quality lipless crankbait.
Old 12-05-05, 02:18 PM   #8
Unregistered

Just curious, What makes one lipless vibrating crank "better" than another other than the hooks. I could see maybe differnce in sound or vibration, but would that neccessarily be better or just different.
I use several different brands/styles of lipless vibrating cranks just depending on the conditions, just because they have different attributes. I can't say the Megabass lipless cranks are neccessarily better than my rat-l-traps and rattlin' spots, just different.
Old 12-05-05, 07:50 PM   #9
bass kicker

i would crank them near stumbs and trees but reel real slow or you will up very much and go with weird colours that you would think wouldnt catch fish

(i caught the most bass on a rattle trap that say rapala in big red letters on the side of it)
Old 12-05-05, 08:49 PM   #10
Marty

Rattling Rapalas come with VMC hooks, which are much, much better than the hooks that come with the actual Rat-L-Trap brand. You can fish them right out of the package if you'd like, or you can give the points a couple of strokes with a file if that gives you more confidence.

I've used Traps, Rapalas and Spots over the years, and while I'm sure they have different sounds and vibrations, I've never been able to notice any difference among them in their ability to draw strikes.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 09:10 PM   #11
JB

I still think that cordell spot "rayburn red" will out produce any ratLtrap
For me, I look at color 90% or the time and size 10% of the time, in reference to a post about what to look for in the trap.
Some lakes have huge shad that resemble the 1 ounce size, but most of the time I throw the 1/2 ounce size, crome with black back, or more often the red or rayburn red as mentioned..I replace all my traps with Owner #6,
it is lighter than those crap hooks that come with a Lewis ratLtrap, and I about always crank and let it fall and repeat, verses just burning it all the time across weedbeds...

I've caught the biggest fish on traps using the 1 ounce white with some blue on top and sides, a section of orange and red on the bottom.
The blue on the sides is faint and fades, but must look like a shad to ky bass IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 12:07 AM   #12
pig n jig

The Rapala rattlin rap hooks are fine right out of the package. This happens to be my favorite ratl trap brand of baits. Traps and grass goes together to find the bass. Make sure the bait is ticking in the grass as you retrieve it.Some times it gets hung up or comes back with a clump of grass built up on it, but even though it gets frustrating to use, you will catch some really nice fish on them.Also use the softer action rods when fishing a ratl trap.I use a Medium action rod when fishing them, the bass are less apt to throw the bait or tear off as easily using a softer action rod.I hope this helps you, P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 07:15 PM   #13
zooker

umm jb cordell make 3/8 oz not 1/2 oz i know i like the firetiger suspending spot. and my clear water killer is a strike king diamond shad. in 1/4 oz just wish they made it to look more like a shad.
best retrive i have found -tad shy in weeds- bump and run along the bottom 3/4 throttle..

zooker
Old 12-06-05, 08:10 PM   #14
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I have had pretty good success with them in the Delaware river. Any rivers they work good for me with. Or rock bottoms.
Old 12-06-05, 11:27 PM   #15
Fish2win

I use the rattle Traps, Rattlin Raps,Hot Spots and Sugar Shad. I have found that at times the pitch of the rattle makes a diifference. Each of these baits has a distictive sounds.They also run differnetly due to bouyancy and density. Each makes 2 types of noise one is what we hear and is created by the BB's inside the bait, The other is the vibration that is caused by the movement that causes the bb's to rattle.Different conditions, different noise. The Sugar Shad is much more weighted in the nose so it tends to run deeper. Each is a tool and each has a exact place in the overall scope of fishing. Just like screw drivers come in different bits and lengths so do rattleing baits. Fish2win
Old 12-09-05, 11:31 PM   #16
Christopherkeene9

How will they hit these? In there mouths, smack at them, etc. or does no one know like the rest of bass fishing. Gonna throw one tomorrow with all of these cool downs the past week and a half.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 12:26 AM   #17
flfireman

Right now is a good time to use them.
Old 12-10-05, 12:22 PM   #18
abugarcia6

haha ive never had luck with a rat L trap...i have bought mayb 5 of them....the first one i flung off trying to cast it, the second i got hung in a weed bed, the third one got stuck in a tree, the fourth one...iidk wut happened to it it got hung on sumthin, and then the third one i was walkn on my dock and accidently hit my tackle box and out of all the lures...that one flew in the water!...i guess its not meant for me to have one lol
Old 12-10-05, 03:58 PM   #19
Fish2win

I have had good days with a rattle Trap when the water temps were as low as 45. I dont know about any colder but at least that cold. Fish2win
Old 12-10-05, 07:06 PM   #20
flukemaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Lipless crankbaits can catch fish almost year round. I have caught them in Feb. burning them in shallow water. My favorate way to fish them is by making a long cast and jigging it up hard and letting it fall.

Trick: If you fish clear water. Drill a small hole in the bottom, between the hooks. Don't let any of the rattles fall out. Now stuff a little cotton in the hole. This should baffle the rattle but not silence it. Now fill in the hole with bondo or Gorilla Glue. Sand smooth with fine sand paper.
Old 12-10-05, 10:06 PM   #21
Fish2win

I have also caught fish in Feb on the rattle trap. What is the water temp in Ga in Feb?.Here it is 45 to 48 degrees. Fish2win
Old 12-10-05, 10:56 PM   #22
flukemaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win
I have also caught fish in Feb on the rattle trap. What is the water temp in Ga in Feb?.Here it is 45 to 48 degrees. Fish2win
About the same.
Old 12-10-05, 11:10 PM   #23
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

MY FAVORITE IS A RATTLIN RAPALA 1/2 OZ. SHAD PATTERN.I CATCH MORE FISH ON THAT BAIT THAN ANY OTHER RATTLETRAP.THAT IS NOT TO SAY I DON'T OWN ANY OTHERS.I SWITCH TO THE OTHERS WHEN MY TRUSTY RATTLIN RAPALA DOESN'T WORK.MY NEXT FAVORITE IS A STIKE KING DIAMOND SHAD IN BABY BASS PATTERN 1/2 OZ.THIRD WOULD BE A BILL LEWIS RATTLE TRAP BLEEDING BAIT IN CHROME/BLUE WITH RED HOOKS.oops,sorry i forgot my caps lock was on!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.