Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-01-06, 07:56 PM   #1
I_Bass_Fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to I_Bass_Fish
Default No cover?

Where do you guys fish if there's not any cover? A pond nearby is mostly a sandy bottom with a lotta small weeds on the bottom, it's probably only 8 feet deep. I don't exactly know how to fish it. I've caught bass and pike from using a Jointed Rapala but not much else. It rained last night and it was very murky. The sun was shining though, and the water was about 48 degrees. What would you guys do?
I_Bass_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 03:15 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd run a crankbait or ratLtrap down deep and start feeling for weeds, which is considered cover for the bass. Another option to feel out the bottom is to carolina rig a worm and drag it across the bottom, You'll feel every bump or weed down there, and give you an idea of where the bass could be located. It wont be long (even now perhaps) you'll see many bass close to the bank (10 feet out or closer)
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 05:25 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you happen to find some deep water bass congregating in one spot, you might want to throw a plastic worm on a stand-up jig head or Strike King tube (I prefer Green/White Laminate) with a 1/8 oz jighead.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 07:44 PM   #4
bass kicker

put some cover in the pond throw some timber in there attached to a brick and you will see tones of bass gatherin around the cover i did that at a pond close to where i live
Old 04-03-06, 08:03 PM   #5
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I liked the other ideas reccomended here. I would also throw a trap right down the middle. Slowly reel back and "feel" for structure(weeds, rocks and debris)
If you say its barren then there is only 1 place for them to go 95% of the time....DEEP. Deep is a relative term however. if 8 ft is the deepest spot then start there and work shallow.

I also liked the idea of creating your own structure....Around Xmas time is usually the best time to sink old trees. Make sure you whatever you sink has weight so it will stay on the bottom. If this pond isnt your make sure you ask permission first. Just my .02
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 09:15 PM   #6
I_Bass_Fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, it's a pond next to a neighborhood and it's owned by the city so no dumping for me. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-04-06, 02:47 PM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with what everyone else said but would add a suspending jerkbait. It's hard to beat with water temp in the upper 40's to mid 50's.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 01:31 PM   #8
Raul

No cover ?

A pond nearby is mostly a sandy bottom with a lotta small weeds on the bottom,

There´s your cover, the problem here is that you are not reading it properly. In order to grow weeds need very specific conditions of soil composition, water quality, water temperature and light exposure, if such elements are not the appropiate ones the weeds won´t grow at all or will grow but not how they are supposed to, there is variabilty in the growth, this causes that the weeds in the weedbed develop at different heights and with different density, in all my years of fishing I´ve never seen a weedbed formed by weeds all of the same height and the same density.

In order to read the weedbed properly first you need to look at it closely, you stand up by the edge of the pond and begin to look, if you are observant you will see that there are patches of different color, the water looks different, those dark spot are telling you that the weeds in that dark spot have a different height, something like soil composition and light exposure are different in that place so the weeds are not growing like the other ones around them, that´s exactly the spots you are looking for, why ? because fish like bass hide in the perimeter of those spots waiting for something to pass bay and nail it. Obviously this dark spots are easier to locate when there´s enough wind to rippple the surface.

So, in order to catch fish you need to move your bait to those spots, a cast to the weedbed where all the weeds are of the same height is a waste of time, there´s nobody there, but if you cast your bait above that same weedbed, retrieve your lure and as soon as it reaches the perimeter you let it fall or suspend there you are doing the right thing, you will catch fish there.

Cover doesn´t mean wood, cover means exactly that, COVER, anything that provides with shelter is an element of cover, wood and weeds are what comes into everybody´s mind when we speak of cover, but shade and wind are also elements of cover.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 09:21 PM   #9
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
No cover ?

A pond nearby is mostly a sandy bottom with a lotta small weeds on the bottom,

There´s your cover, the problem here is that you are not reading it properly. In order to grow weeds need very specific conditions of soil composition, water quality, water temperature and light exposure, if such elements are not the appropiate ones the weeds won´t grow at all or will grow but not how they are supposed to, there is variabilty in the growth, this causes that the weeds in the weedbed develop at different heights and with different density, in all my years of fishing I´ve never seen a weedbed formed by weeds all of the same height and the same density.

In order to read the weedbed properly first you need to look at it closely, you stand up by the edge of the pond and begin to look, if you are observant you will see that there are patches of different color, the water looks different, those dark spot are telling you that the weeds in that dark spot have a different height, something like soil composition and light exposure are different in that place so the weeds are not growing like the other ones around them, that´s exactly the spots you are looking for, why ? because fish like bass hide in the perimeter of those spots waiting for something to pass bay and nail it. Obviously this dark spots are easier to locate when there´s enough wind to rippple the surface.

So, in order to catch fish you need to move your bait to those spots, a cast to the weedbed where all the weeds are of the same height is a waste of time, there´s nobody there, but if you cast your bait above that same weedbed, retrieve your lure and as soon as it reaches the perimeter you let it fall or suspend there you are doing the right thing, you will catch fish there.

Cover doesn´t mean wood, cover means exactly that, COVER, anything that provides with shelter is an element of cover, wood and weeds are what comes into everybody´s mind when we speak of cover, but shade and wind are also elements of cover.
Excellent post Raul, well thought out and worded.

Lizards
Old 04-05-06, 11:12 PM   #10
I_Bass_Fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-07-06, 06:07 PM   #11
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

mudlines can also be cover.

In 48 degree water, i'd be working a jig and pig slow from deep to shallow.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.