Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-06, 01:03 PM   #1
Bass Ackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Silver Thread Fluorocarbon

Anybody try this line? Seems like it may be good for flipping/pitching.

I'm using braid now but I'm not happy with the way it passes through the guides and floats. One other thing I've noticed is that I never see the pro's using braid line, there must be some reason I'm sure it would be easy for them to get a sponsor so cost would not be an issue. Also in the KVD Pitching to heavy hitters, he says to use a Fluorocarbon.

In this article bassresource.com/fishing/light_line_flipping.htmlIn the early morning, I'll use a standard flipping rig - an 8-foot Lamiglas flipping stick with a Daiwa reel, 17-pound Excalibur Silver Thread," and he is talking about fishing the CA Delta, I can tell you from experience you can't get much lower in visibility than that place, so why would he not use braid there?

So with all that I'm wondering if a Fluorocarbon might not be better suited for my uses?
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 01:31 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

belive it or not most only have one rod rigged with braid. only a few use floro because of breakage problems.. most use mono..

zooker
Old 04-04-06, 01:49 PM   #3
Bass Ackwards

I did not realize that floro had a tendency to break. Anyone know about the Copolymer lines
Old 04-04-06, 02:22 PM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I haven't had a problem with Florocarbon breaking. I use Stren Florocarbon and it's my favorite line right now for jig and worms. Actually I use it for everything but topwaters (because it sinks). I've tried Vanish and it does break. Didn't like it at all. P-line is ok but Stren by far (to me) is the best Floro I've tried.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 09:44 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
I did not realize that floro had a tendency to break. Anyone know about the Copolymer lines
I do like P-Line Copolymer, it's the only kind of non braid/fused line I really use. I however only use it for leaders mostly. There are a lot of guys using braid on tour, Takamori was using it when he won the classic

Lizards
Old 04-05-06, 01:43 PM   #6
Bass Ackwards

I was checking out this article http://www.baits.com/articles/gary-senko.html and saw that Gary Yamamoto uses 20 # Sugoi line (I looked it up cuz I never heard of it) which is flourocarbon.

So I'm thinking I may try flourocarbon, I'll just re-role the braid until get pissed at the flourocarbon.
Old 04-05-06, 02:11 PM   #7
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with Bassaddict. Stren flouro. is great line. Been using it for years. No problems at all. This line is strong, casts well, and is soft. Never, I mean never had problems breaking fish off. I use it for flippin, pichin, crankin,and anything else that you don't want the line to sink i.e. topwater baits.
Note; Even after a kink in the line, this stuff shows no problems.

Copolimer "may" have problems breaking at the reel. Especially when you get a kink in the line. Granted, that may be according to which brand that you use.
Old 04-06-06, 12:40 AM   #8
ChuckE
BassFishin.Com Member

I use Silver Thread Excalibur on all my flipping/pitching rods. It's a very abrasion resistant copolymer line with low stretch. It's got good sensitivity and knot strength, and if I had anything to say negative about it, it is not as uniformly smooth as some monos. I use 8#, 12# and 17# in light to heavy cover, and get mine from Cabelas. I haven't had a problem with 'breaks' at the reel, and I've had some pretty nasty backlashes or two.

Chuck
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 08:02 PM   #9
bass kicker

i hate silver thread i triied trolling with it and it all kinked up and use consantly wrapping around the guides on my rod
Old 04-07-06, 01:46 PM   #10
Bass Ackwards

The only thing I could find was Berkley Vanish #20 for fluorocarbon, so far I did not like it. It's much to stiff and when pitching it tends to want to coil up and tangle. I think that I'll go back to the braid and do as Lizards and use the fluorocarbon as a leader.
Old 04-08-06, 03:58 PM   #11
bassguy2004

I've been using Stren Florocarbon for my drop shot and I really like it.
Old 04-08-06, 10:21 PM   #12
bass kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
The only thing I could find was Berkley Vanish #20 for fluorocarbon, so far I did not like it. It's much to stiff and when pitching it tends to want to coil up and tangle. I think that I'll go back to the braid and do as Lizards and use the fluorocarbon as a leader.
my father just spooled up with that same line for flippen and pitchen today
Old 04-09-06, 02:23 AM   #13
wvtroutdog@aol.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to wvtroutdog@aol.com Send a message via Yahoo to wvtroutdog@aol.com

try using braided line with a fluro leader, buddy took me steellhead fishing. fluro makes a big difference when your single egging. use it with soft plastics now.
Old 04-09-06, 05:40 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I do like P-Line Copolymer, it's the only kind of non braid/fused line I really use. I however only use it for leaders mostly. There are a lot of guys using braid on tour, Takamori was using it when he won the classic

Lizards
Now there's a man that knows his line. P-Line CXXX is without a doubt the best non braid out there that I have used. Never tried the florocarbon due to the fact that when introdiced it was way to high a price and available in leader spools. Let everyone in on a secret of mine. I never try a new product as soon as it hits the shelf. Reason is they gotta get the bugs out of it. I let someone else buy and try before I do. Has saved me alot of money being like this. It dont matter if its a new line lure motor or whatever its gonna have a few bugs to work out so I let everyone else do this and save my money for when the product becomes worth the investment.
Old 04-10-06, 09:24 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Now there's a man that knows his line. P-Line CXXX is without a doubt the best non braid out there that I have used.
Now I have to say I was turned on to P-Line by the infamous PNJ
I have used an awful lot of lines until I found Fireline, and fell in love with it. Now I must say that Powerpro has taken over This however is the best of the Copolymers I've used, and thanks to PNJ I found it without a lot of the pain and suffering I had usually had to go through looking for a specific type of line.

Lizards
Old 04-10-06, 10:07 PM   #16
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

the original SIlver Thread AN40 that came out in the 90's is,to this day,some of the best line I have ever used.I have used the newer stuff and have no complaints.And you even get a line wrap with it!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.