Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 11-01-06, 05:52 PM   #1
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Im swicthing

Academy has this reel for $45 and IMO its just as smoothe as the Curado 100D and the anti-reverse dosent let the handle move back and forth. I know its a dirty Pinnacle but it feels just as good as my SF Curado. Click image for larger version

Name:	PLATINUM.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	925
Old 11-01-06, 06:13 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I've read threads about the Pinnacle that mention that they are incredibly smooth from the get go, but that detiorates quickly. Let us know, for sure!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 09:43 PM   #3
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Its easy to make a reel smooth....especially if all the parts are smooth. The differences are in the metals they're made of. A curado has all metal parts where I promise that pinnacle will have plastic insides and possibly some bushings in place of a bearing or two....you get what you pay for.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 10:17 AM   #4
adamgambill

When was the last time you tore a curado apart? I have three and there is also a ton of plastic in the shimano. Lets face it, without spending 250 on a mg chronarch you arent going to get mag sideplates and mag frame. The Pinnace and the 100d feel like about the same reel EXCEPT there is no back play in the handle in reverse on the pinnacle which I have experianced on a 100D. Im starting to feel like some of the other fellers on here as in when you buy a shimano now you qare paying for alot of the name. I work for Nissan, a japanese company. When the Maxima and Pathfinder moved to US production a few years ago a great crr and truck became rattle boxed POS's. Look where the parts come from on the new shimanos. KOREA. Thats not the same as Japan. At least Daiwa sticks to the Jap design and manuf. I hate to single you out dude but "sticking" with a brand as opposed to trying new things makes you one dimensional, I know I used to feel the same way.
Old 11-03-06, 01:29 PM   #5
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I have several directions I can go with this........

first, you get what you pay for (with ANY brand!! granted some high end reels are better for the price than others) The parts that matter, the gears, bearings, etc, the parts that move every time you use the reel are metal on a curado where not all are on the academy. I've used academys before....they're solid for a while...but wear very quickly. Check out ebay and you'll see that people are still paying 80 and 90 dollars for the old curados. That in itself should tell you something. Look at the pinnacle resale numbers and values.

A lot more than you or I know goes into determining the quality of the parts made. You can't just look at a country and say something is crap because it comes from there.

about "sticking" to a brand. Don't make assumptions, period. Currently I own pflueger, bass pro shops, daiwa, quantum, mitchell, abu garcia, and (the evil) shimano reels.

My final point, you CAN NOT compare curado with an academy....ask any dealer or pro which is better quality.

Oh yeah, and if you're still really wanting those pinnacles, I'll give you 50 dollars for each of your old curados so you can buy new academys
Old 11-03-06, 06:44 PM   #6
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I cought a 51lb grass carp on a pinnacle pc10 , and it is still going and ,smoothly ....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 08:16 PM   #7
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

lol...I give up
Old 11-03-06, 08:44 PM   #8
CMorg

Hey , Im not saying anybodys wrong here , I am just saying that mine is doing ok , I wouldnt buy another one though .. I want a Garcia Revo SX or a Quantum Energy PT , either one in 7:1:1... faster faster !!!!
Old 11-03-06, 10:46 PM   #9
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

squack, one day he'll learn...just give him time...lol

CMorg, I want one of the new Revo's too...They look pretty sweet....
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 08:43 AM   #10
pig n jig

If you can afford to buy a Shimano, I am happy for you, but when you buy a Shimano reel, your paying alot for the brand name, not the reel. The Shimano bearing is better hype is pure Bull sh*t.There is a limiting factors of bearing speeds due to the size of them.Yes there are different types of material used in bearings,you have the standard bearing,stainless steel bearings in a stainless steel cup and then there are a Hybrid bearing a ceramic bearing in a stainless steel cup.A bearing in either type can only acheive a maximum rpm that are relatively the same speed in both types of bearings.The Hybrid bearings boast that the ceramic bearings are more corrosion resistant due its ceramic properties, but its still remains to be built in a stainless steel cup which is less corrosion resistant than the ceramic bearings are, or the same as the all stainless steel bearing cups would be.There however is quite a difference in price. I seriously doubt one is going to benefit from upgrading bearings, if they have cleaned and lubed the original bearings properly.Buy what you can afford, fish with what you can afford and be happy your out fishing.Hell if it bothers you that you couldn't afford to buy a Shimano,write Shimano on the other brand reel if it means so much to you to own a Shimano.The fish aren't going to be able to tell which brand of reel was used to catch him. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 01:32 PM   #11
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

The fish arn't casting.
Old 11-04-06, 02:09 PM   #12
g_mo
BassFishin.Com Member

You Can Spend $200+ On A Reel And Get A Reel That Will Cast Further And More Accurate. However That Is What I Use My Spinning Combos For. I Have A Couple Cheap Baitcasters, Granted They Aren't As "smooth" , Don't Cast As Far And Accurate, But I Have Landed Several Good Sized Bass On Them. I Seem To Have A Hard Time Convincing Myself That I Will Catch More Fish With A High Dollar Reel. Use What Works For You And What Fits Your Budget, Don't Try To Keep Up With The Jones.
g_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 03:18 PM   #13
adamgambill

'sup Money, I can vouch for the old pfluger too-Ive seen it. I just know that an old green curado is a good reel. My newest SF is a good reel too. But that Pinnacle is a good deal. Its light and smooth and responsive. Like mentioned before, the fish dont know what youre fishing with and it really shouldnt matter to the fisherman either. I cant see spending 200 bucks for an uncomfortable, heavy reel when I can spend a 3rd of that and get something I would like to fish all day with. Really dont care what anybody thinks of my equipment. Ive seen numerous questions by younger anglers on here looking for a good baitcaster setup and gusee what Platinum Pinnacle ($50) and a GM guide series rod(40) makes a heck of a light weight, ultra strong baitcasting setup-five bearings and a rod built on a loomis blank- I cant think of much better to start out with.
Old 11-04-06, 04:00 PM   #14
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by squack15 View Post
The fish arn't casting.
Please stop. Are you trying to say that Shimano will outcast other reel brands ?Shimano has never held the world casting title.You might like your Shimano reels,but before you have fished with other brands of reels, please stop trying to say Shimano is something special, when they really aren't. P N J
Old 11-04-06, 04:19 PM   #15
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

You're twisting it to make it sound like I'm saying things that I havn't. Read my posts before making comments. All I have said is an old green curado is a better quality reel than an academy and you can't compare the two. PERIOD!!
And PNJ, the comment about the fish arn't casting, that was refering to the bearing comment that was completely off the wall and had no reason to even be there because bearings were never the primary issue of debate. But for the record, shimano uses an abec 3 rated bearing (this rates the tolerance of error in manufacturing the peices to the bearing) in most of there mid range reels like the curado as do most every other reel manufacturer so shimano does NOT use "better" bearings. They're the same.
Old 11-04-06, 04:24 PM   #16
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mo View Post
You Can Spend $200+ On A Reel And Get A Reel That Will Cast Further And More Accurate. However That Is What I Use My Spinning Combos For. I Have A Couple Cheap Baitcasters, Granted They Aren't As "smooth" , Don't Cast As Far And Accurate, But I Have Landed Several Good Sized Bass On Them. I Seem To Have A Hard Time Convincing Myself That I Will Catch More Fish With A High Dollar Reel. Use What Works For You And What Fits Your Budget, Don't Try To Keep Up With The Jones.
That is not true that a $200+ reel will cast any better than $100+ reel will.The $200+ dollars usually buys you the name brand (some japanese lettering on the outside of the box),different metals, or materials used in the reel which cost more than ordinary materials used,sometimes performance tuning which is nothing more than a highly polished parts fitted with a tighter tolerence than the normal standards,they boast tighter tolerences in their product, or some sort of ceramic line pawl. The bottom line is yes, they are a nice reel to own, but there is nothing wrong with buying what you can afford to use.I have seen alot of nice reels in around the $100 mark that will cast just as well, if not better than a $200 reel will.P N J
Old 11-04-06, 04:30 PM   #17
CarpMan

IMO, This is the best place for a Shimano...Just my openion.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 04:38 PM   #18
pig n jig

Roflmao, Carpy, A posting like that would get you removed from the majority of the bass sites.They sure do love their Shimano's.I just never got that warm fuzzy feeling they get.Closest I came was when a squirrel climbed down the tree I was leaning against and tried to hide in my jacket.They are annoying when your out deer hunting.P N J
Old 11-04-06, 07:29 PM   #19
skeeter944

the bass pro shops extreme reel and pflueger trions are i think the best reel for the money.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 08:04 PM   #20
g_mo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squack15 View Post
You're twisting it to make it sound like I'm saying things that I havn't. Read my posts before making comments. All I have said is an old green curado is a better quality reel than an academy and you can't compare the two. PERIOD!!
And PNJ, the comment about the fish arn't casting, that was refering to the bearing comment that was completely off the wall and had no reason to even be there because bearings were never the primary issue of debate. But for the record, shimano uses an abec 3 rated bearing (this rates the tolerance of error in manufacturing the peices to the bearing) in most of there mid range reels like the curado as do most every other reel manufacturer so shimano does NOT use "better" bearings. They're the same.
He was not comparing to an old green curado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
That is not true that a $200+ reel will cast any better than $100+ reel will.The $200+ dollars usually buys you the name brand (some japanese lettering on the outside of the box),different metals, or materials used in the reel which cost more than ordinary materials used,sometimes performance tuning which is nothing more than a highly polished parts fitted with a tighter tolerence than the normal standards,they boast tighter tolerences in their product, or some sort of ceramic line pawl. The bottom line is yes, they are a nice reel to own, but there is nothing wrong with buying what you can afford to use.I have seen alot of nice reels in around the $100 mark that will cast just as well, if not better than a $200 reel will.P N J

My point exactly.
g_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 10:53 PM   #21
CMorg

Use What Works For You And What Fits Your Budget, Don't Try To Keep Up With The Jones.[/quote]

I agree with this , my problem is... I like to buy things , for no good reason. Therefore I will buy two new pricey reels , and at least two new rods before spring...hehe.
Old 11-04-06, 10:58 PM   #22
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Throw a few pricy lures into the mix too, gotta have those

I only mention this because i've seen a lot of folks drop $200 for a reel, $150 for a rod, then sneer at a high priced bait! It makes me grin.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:35 AM   #23
pig n jig

After seeing those toads Deacon caught, I went and bought a couple lucky craft 500 series rattle traps. Now I gotta be brave enough to fish them $16 baits even though I know there's toothy critters in amonst the bass on those deep weedbeds. P N J
Old 11-05-06, 09:13 PM   #24
adamgambill

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
the bass pro shops extreme reel and pflueger trions are i think the best reel for the money.
Check out who makes the BPS Extreme Podner.

Anyhow, Im going for it friday and I be sure to gloat - I mean let you fellas know whats up.
Old 11-05-06, 10:14 PM   #25
skeeter944

i know,that was my point. pinnacle makes bass pro shops reels for them,and they last really long.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.