Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-28-12, 03:42 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile A Share and a Question

First the share...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbNM...eature=related

now the question...

How many of you kayakers would be comfortable Ocean fishing?
Not necessarily in your own kayak but a Ocean Kayak like the one in the vid.

Although it looked like a reef shark and not much bigger than a Northern Musky, there's 'just a little more bite' !
Crankbait I know your a big water angler.
Fresh and Salt, huge difference? Small difference?
More fun? Less fun?
Old 11-30-12, 09:38 AM   #2
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cool video. Wish I could fish for Yellowtail out here!

I love saltwater fishing in my kayak. Although I can admit, when I'm out there alone at night, with a stringer of fish hanging over the side, it can get a little...uneasy.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 02:52 PM   #3
lilmule

Your a brightly colored snack,for years an african kayak guide plowed the waters amid crocs and hippos,one day his luck ran out.Croc launched from behind a rock bit it all in two,just as he came out of the rapids into a pool.
In the ocean while different predators none the less dangerous,even friendly whales can breech on you,and somewhat resembles a seal.
Ive been toying with the idea of using one nearby in the obion chain of lakes er swamp,but way to many cottonmouths,to suit me,dunno if I can keepem off several yakers bitten last year.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 05:15 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If someone wants to give me an Ocean Kayak, I would be glad to use it out there.

I have taken a pelican yak off the beach in Panama city before, not much further than you would swim, and it was a reasonably nice day. That was a kids toy compared to a kayak built for the task of hitting big water.

Overall, the threat of sharks isn't the real concern. Its a freak roller that worries me. I would even be more afraid of a motorboat than a shark. After all, how is a kayak off the coast any worse than surfing off the coast, save for the few times in which you are fighting a fish that is being attacked by a shark, in which case, the shark is going after the more vulnerable entity, not the angler. If you have to, you can cut the line and get the hell out of there if things start getting sketchy. You are man, after all...man is the greatest of the animals because it has judgment.

I did end up in a gator harem last year, and that was probably the scariest place I had been in a yak, especially considering the yak was green and about 10 feet long and all the bull gators were looking for love.
Old 11-30-12, 09:12 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When on party boats off the SoCal coast, I've seen lots of guys in yaks fishing the kelp beds. They were always catching them too, so it must be worth it.
Old 12-02-12, 04:20 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
I did end up in a gator harem last year, and that was probably the scariest place I had been in a yak, especially considering the yak was green and about 10 feet long and all the bull gators were looking for love.
I think it would be accurate to say that those gators actually found Love in thier midst.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.