Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-15-12, 11:37 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Heavy SCV build.

The pics are kinda crap cause Im in the process of moving next week and needed to hurry so I can start packing up the bench..But Im excited because Im about to have a ton of space for it!
This was another build Im adding to my arsenal to start covering heavier apps...
At first I was gonna do a full grip..But I was inspired by some of the JDM handle set ups so I wanted to mimic something similar..I like it a lot so far but well see hopefully by this weekend.

Only problem is I gotta buy a new HS reel for it
So ill be prowling the sales coming up...

Thanks for looking guys.

Old 11-15-12, 01:48 PM   #2
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That thing is sexy bro...I dig the colors! That dark blue and tiger wrap is bad@$$!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:40 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Very fine craftmanship - as USUAL! I like the flake, wraps, two finger reel seat (just like Kistler - LOL) and the longer rear grip for two-handed casting. I'm not a fan of ANY fore grip but that small foam piece gives a real nice finish to the seat area, I like that. If that rod performs half as well as it looks, it will be an awesome stick.

If I may be so bold to offer a suggestion (as an option) - as I can be super picky. With regards to the hook keeper position: all my rods have them, most manufaturers include them today, but I haven't found many that have them in the correct spot - IN MY OPINION. I would prefer to have the hook keeper on the same side as the reel handle. Most place it on the top or bottom of the rod. Depending on the user's preference in reel handle side, the keeper should be left or right handed also and placed midway between the horizontal and vertial axis (like 45 degree offset). Reason: I place my rods on the deck with them on their side, reel handle up, to keep the guides off the carpet and they sack better in that position. With the hook keeper on the same side as the reel handle the hooks are also kept away from the carpet, with the keeper on the bottom or top of the rod, I almost always have the hooks snagged in the carpet after a run unless I put a lure wrap on the rod. BTW, I've lost a lot of lure wraps. While right/left handed hook keeper placement may be problematic for the retail makers, a custom rod maker may benifit from the option. Alway enjoy seeing your work Walker and good luck in the new digs.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:29 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Very fine craftmanship - as USUAL! I like the flake, wraps, two finger reel seat (just like Kistler - LOL) and the longer rear grip for two-handed casting. I'm not a fan of ANY fore grip but that small foam piece gives a real nice finish to the seat area, I like that. If that rod performs half as well as it looks, it will be an awesome stick.

If I may be so bold to offer a suggestion (as an option) - as I can be super picky. With regards to the hook keeper position: all my rods have them, most manufaturers include them today, but I haven't found many that have them in the correct spot - IN MY OPINION. I would prefer to have the hook keeper on the same side as the reel handle. Most place it on the top or bottom of the rod. Depending on the user's preference in reel handle side, the keeper should be left or right handed also and placed midway between the horizontal and vertial axis (like 45 degree offset). Reason: I place my rods on the deck with them on their side, reel handle up, to keep the guides off the carpet and they sack better in that position. With the hook keeper on the same side as the reel handle the hooks are also kept away from the carpet, with the keeper on the bottom or top of the rod, I almost always have the hooks snagged in the carpet after a run unless I put a lure wrap on the rod. BTW, I've lost a lot of lure wraps. While right/left handed hook keeper placement may be problematic for the retail makers, a custom rod maker may benifit from the option. Alway enjoy seeing your work Walker and good luck in the new digs.

Bruce,you being bold?...That doesn't sound like you!
But seriously I appreciate feedback..
In the beginning, I was doing a lot of off set keepers...In the 45 point...Both reel and opposite side...Either way never seemed to be an issue..However on those builds I was scooting the keeper a little too far forward and slack line would get wrapped around it during test casting or fishing on my personal rods....It would also do this pulling it back a few inches...So when I starting setting them 180 it was rarely a problem...It was just a safer bet when a client would shrug and say they didnt really have a preference....I prefer now a days to keep mine 180 and much closer to the reel seat...Not up against but about 4'' away...I switch hands a lot so its just easier to raise the tip and have the lure come straight at it...
Never had any issues laying them down personally...But I can easily see that happening.....Ill keep that in mind,thanks

Im not a fan of fore grips either..But I wanted to play and modify with this one since I have had the parts forever....I just chopped it in half and found that a reel seat trim ring looks nice butted against it.
Old 11-15-12, 07:38 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

once again flappyjack....ANOTHER piece of art. oneof these days man...one of these days. i'm gonna get OYU AND BUBBA. to make me a few.
Old 11-15-12, 08:49 PM   #6
Jrob78

Turned out great! I just finished up my handle for that same blank, SCV 7' HF, in that color. What is the green thread you used? It looks like a close match. Also, I assume from the dbl foot guide you spiral wrapped it? I'm debating spiraling mine too. It looks great and I really like the grip work, looks comfy!

Just my 2 cents, I built my last 2 or 3 with the keeper at 90 degrees on the handle side. I like it there a lot. My line doesn't get tangled in it and like Bruce said, the baits are up when you lie the rod down. I've used other placements without much issue but I think 90 degrees is my favorite.
Old 11-16-12, 11:11 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Turned out great! I just finished up my handle for that same blank, SCV 7' HF, in that color. What is the green thread you used? It looks like a close match. Also, I assume from the dbl foot guide you spiral wrapped it? I'm debating spiraling mine too. It looks great and I really like the grip work, looks comfy!

Just my 2 cents, I built my last 2 or 3 with the keeper at 90 degrees on the handle side. I like it there a lot. My line doesn't get tangled in it and like Bruce said, the baits are up when you lie the rod down. I've used other placements without much issue but I think 90 degrees is my favorite.
Thanks Joe...and Yea its spiraled...
You know what I should have done...I should have extended a small buttwrap just slightly past the fore grip to add a little trim there
oh well....Maybe I can add that later

I used GB Blue Dun thread for the blue...Closet match I had on hand
Old 11-17-12, 12:08 PM   #8
keithdog

Thats a great looking rod for sure. Perhaps one of the favorites I've seen our yours. I love the colors. Like Bama, one of these days!
Old 11-25-12, 02:42 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

On the mark Pancake! Killa gorilla! I just put in my order for 2 SCVs (ML-XF & MH-F) with them at 50% off.
Old 11-25-12, 03:02 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Freaking awesome rod Walker! What are the specs on the rod?

BB
Old 11-26-12, 05:15 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Freaking awesome rod Walker! What are the specs on the rod?

BB

Thanks again guys!

Anthony that is a great question!...I have no concrete idea yet.
Its an older (maybe discontinued model) and I cant quite find exact one that best matches what I have...I know its 7'1'' Hvy/Fast.
Im moving right now to my new place..So I havent had a chance to fish or do any measurements on it....Im assuming its rated up to 1oz but Im hoping I can pull more.....
Old 11-26-12, 09:24 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Either way, it will be a great rod. Croix makes a very nice product. And the JDM-esque grips look great. In fact, I think it could use a nice JDM Daiwa to go with it.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.