Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-06-09, 01:08 AM   #1
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h
Default Jigs Vs. Worms

I know it's probably been covered 10 million times. But when you pull up to a spot, or whatever it may be, what makes you throw a texas rigged worm or soft plastic, and what would make you throw a jig? Do you fish jigs as "structure only" baits, or if you are working a shallow bank, would you throw it along there even with no structure?
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 06:44 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll often use both in the same areas untill I figure out which the fish are interrested in that day. I do use the jig more around brush, and in heavy vegitation I usually will use soft plastics with few appendages, such as a beaver style bait. The fewer appendages of a beaver type bait allow the lure to slip beneith the heavy weedmat more easilly without hanging up. In lilly pads I use both about equally. Same with more open water, untill I figure out what they prefer.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:10 AM   #3
silverbass14
BassFishin.Com Member

Default jigs vs worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'll often use both in the same areas untill I figure out which the fish are interrested in that day. I do use the jig more around brush, and in heavy vegitation I usually will use soft plastics with few appendages, such as a beaver style bait. The fewer appendages of a beaver type bait allow the lure to slip beneith the heavy weedmat more easilly without hanging up. In lilly pads I use both about equally. Same with more open water, untill I figure out what they prefer.
i think jigs are better but that is what i think. what do u think?
silverbass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:12 AM   #4
bassattack
BassFishin.Com Member

i think jigs are better for smaller fish like in a stocked pond but i think worms will catch bigger fish i like use in zoom flukes
Old 04-06-09, 11:18 AM   #5
Bassboss

I use worm in weedy deeper places, where the bass are more active, I'll switch to a jig around brush...... they do imitate craw dads, so they are more affective in lakes/ponds with them. Since they are made to look like craw dads, they are said to do well when bass are on beds. You can watch Kevin’s videos on them to get some more info, don't no much about them though....

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-06-09 at 01:49 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:40 AM   #6
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
I know it's probably been covered 10 million times. But when you pull up to a spot, or whatever it may be, what makes you throw a texas rigged worm or soft plastic, and what would make you throw a jig? Do you fish jigs as "structure only" baits, or if you are working a shallow bank, would you throw it along there even with no structure?
Water temp, natural forage, cover, and fish mood determine if i trow a jig or worm.

Tho in the really thick stuff I tend to throw a jig no matter what it just snags less. Dont be affraid to work one on a shallow bank, might try a football jig.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 11:51 AM   #7
JB

I like to throw the jig up against wood, either the end of a log, behind it, or work over a stump.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 12:07 PM   #8
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I use jig more in weedy deeper places, where the bass are more active, I'll switch to a jig around brush...... never caught anything on a jig so, don't no much about them
If you have no luck with Jigs, why post??? (had to edit last comment).

Onto the topic, I usually have one of each tied one and will throw either one for a while until I find what they like.

However, most people will throw what they have CONFIDENCE in. That is where they will start out.

As other posts go, bass will eat anything - if they are hungry.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 01:21 PM   #9
cassidyta

I will usually have both tied on and will more or less allow the fish to decide. My general rule of thumb for the first few casts is the depth of the water near the structure I am fishing. If the logs, rocks, weeds are in water 5 foot or deeper, I prefer to start with a jig. If it is less than 5 foot, then I switch to a worm. I have found that I get more strikes on the fall with the jig while the worm is a 50/50 on the fall vs the the bottom.
Of course rule has an exception water depth is not into play when I am working a rocky point. I will usually stick with a jig in that scenario.
Old 04-06-09, 01:34 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i agree with doc on water temp and natural forage. i don't start throwing a t-rigged worm until the water gets fairly warm, and if there are a lot of crawdads in the body of water then i will fish jigs over worms almost always.

one other thing that is worth pointing out is fishing pressure. with jigs becoming more popular fish are seeing less and less of plastic worms. if i hear of a good jig bite but can't seem to get bit on a jig i will throw a plastic worm.
Old 04-06-09, 01:39 PM   #11
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassattack View Post
i think jigs are better for smaller fish like in a stocked pond but i think worms will catch bigger fish i like use in zoom flukes
I would have to disagree with this reply. I've caught many big fish on a jig, and not in a stocked pond. From what I've seen in my days as a fishermen, jigs are literally people's "go-to" baits when fishing in and around heavy cover. They work all season, and in a variety of different situations. I do know for a fact that you can catch BIG fish w/ jigs w/ a trailer of some sort. I would suggest you seriously consider using the jig more in your fishing and I promise you won't be disappointed.

I think worms work better in lilly pad areas, or in coves where the lilly pads open, in weedy areas. I have used worms in these types of areas with a great amount of success.
Old 04-06-09, 01:45 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
yeah no offense but i couldn't disagree more. a jig is one of if not the best big fish bait. a worm can get you quality bites at times but a jig will do it more often.
Old 04-06-09, 01:52 PM   #13
The Doc

I second that
Old 04-06-09, 02:46 PM   #14
bassattack
BassFishin.Com Member

i was talking about like crappy jigs and tube jigs and stuff my bad ..........
Old 04-06-09, 04:20 PM   #15
CMorg

I dont fish areas with no structure. I will fish areas with no cover... anyway , I throw a jig when ever , where ever. I feel I can always catch a fish with a jig. I love jigs.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 04:28 PM   #16
doc

Quote:
i was talking about like crappy jigs and tube jigs and stuff my bad ..........

I have a feeling about you hmmmmmmmmmm
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 10:31 PM   #17
bassattack
BassFishin.Com Member

what do you mean u have a feelin about me??
Old 04-07-09, 01:18 AM   #18
CCbass

I only fish jigs in the winter, plastics in the summer at times, weather flipping or working a shore line for the most part, other baits more the other times of the year. As someone else said, confidence, always caught me fish using this pattern so why stop.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 03:48 AM   #19
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I usually pick which by the type and amount of cover I am facing, I will flip plastic to lay-downs and docks, although I do hit these with a jig heavily if I pattern the fish to jigs. I usually start with jigs when fishing verticle cover, such as brush and weeds.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 03:52 PM   #20
frogpond11
BassFishin.Com Member

Generally speaking, plastics have caught me more numbers of fish than larger fish...and jigs have caught me less numbers, but better quality. Again, this is just averages that I'm talking about. Of course I have caught big fish with plastics and I've caught some little bitty fish with jigs as well. But on average, the plastics get more bites and the jigs get better quality bites, but less bites overall.

Justin
frogpond11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.