Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-09-09, 08:55 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Stormy weather fishing

Lets hear your stormy weather tips and ideas ...Outside of boat saftey and lighting advisory. say just 15-20 winds heavy rain that kinda thing lets hear some tips on what to look for and baits that kinda thing

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 09:17 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

secure everything down, its been my experience in big winds that while you're driving through the waves in one direction, out of the blue a rogue wave will side swipe ya and fill the boat with water..ever see all your tackleboxs floating around....that and I 've had the wind pick up the front of the boat and turn us in a right angle direction as we landed....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 10:17 PM   #3
keithdog

I'm not sure I'd want to be out in that kind of weather. But if you are, then I would say my selection of lures would be power bait presentations. Crankbaits and spinnerbaits mainly. With those conditions, I think any attempt to fish senkos, carolina rigs, soft plastics on light line, would be very hard to pull off as you would have too much trouble detecting the strikes while just trying to maintain your balance and boat control. Even heavy jigs may prove to be hard to work, although I "might" try making very short pitches in close to cover with a heavy jig depending on how badly I was getting tossed around by the wind. I'd be using the wind to drift me past areas I want to try and casting while I pass with baits I can work quickly and efficiently.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 07:41 AM   #4
Bassboss

I fish a pond that only me and an old retired man fish, he goes about every day! He went on a cloudy day, I did not, but the next day we both went. He said yesterday that he was killing them on a Colorado spinnerbait waked under the surface.

Good luck and good fishin!
Old 04-10-09, 05:36 PM   #5
bamabassman

stormy weatehr TIPS? you have GOT to be kidding. STAY HOME. LIVE TO FISH ANOTHER DAY. we just had tornados and hail, stay home in weather like this. right now the storm has passed, heard of a tornado that hit just 5 miles away form us. tore up a house i think and flipped a car. don't wanna be out there in weather like this pal.
Old 04-10-09, 05:41 PM   #6
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
stormy weatehr TIPS? you have GOT to be kidding. STAY HOME. LIVE TO FISH ANOTHER DAY. we just had tornados and hail, stay home in weather like this. right now the storm has passed, heard of a tornado that hit just 5 miles away form us. tore up a house i think and flipped a car. don't wanna be out there in weather like this pal.
Bama Ijust saw a report where Goosepond and Waterfront got hit, real glad to hear you and Lisa are ok. Stay safe OK.
Old 04-10-09, 08:29 PM   #7
Tennessee

Default I think yall missed the point

I have fished in stormy weather as long as there's not any lighting. I seem to alwasy do well on crank durinf this time just wondering what yall use
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 08:44 PM   #8
zooker

a crank and a blade if i can find a hiddy hole out of the wind i get out the soft plastic baits..

i have come out of a creek into a stiff wind and literly was pushed sideways enough the prop cavitaded -lost bite-

zooker
Old 04-11-09, 02:54 AM   #9
CCbass

Heavy wind pooring rain still caught fish, no matter the time of year. Time of year does alter technique but still able to catch fish if you do it right. For me, fall, heavy rain strong wind caught fish on a crank fishing shallow. In January cold storm coming in, high wind, caught fish flipping two to three feet of water and the water temp was 45. Bass take advantage of situations to feed so we as fisherman need to know how they take advantage of situations to catch them.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-09, 10:56 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i've never lake fished, but on ponds i throw a spinner or a t-rigged plastic fished somewhat fast.. again, pumpkin finesse has produced well for me year-around
Old 04-12-09, 03:17 AM   #11
WTL

I got hit by a wave 2 days ago on a small lake, maybe 1000 acres, that nearly capsized my boat. First time I ever felt like that was gonna happen.

Theres no use trolling against the wind, thats for sure. You'll spend more time fooling with the tm than fishing. The thing about fishing from a boat on a lake in rought weather is, you arent able to do your idealized presentation. If you think in terms of there being a preferred presentation that the bass is looking for, even if you knew what that is - the wind, waves and inabilty to actually hold yourself still may keep you from doing that presentation.

So, do what you can do. Do what makes in the situation to get the lure in front of the bass as much as you can so you can get noticed. Its gonna have to be fast whatever you do. Spinnerbait, traps, quick pitching to holes on a line, cranks, worms.
Old 04-12-09, 05:23 PM   #12
abu4600

In stormy weather, if it's not lightning, i like to get real shallow and throw a black spinnerbait and a black buzzbait. If the winds really blowing I like a spinnerbait more, if it's not too windy i like to throw the buzzer more.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 08:18 PM   #13
hookset on 3

yeah Tenn. I love a good ol' fashion Nor'Easter up here in New England! MyPB came during a real stormy day in the late spring.She weighted 8 1/2 . Driving rain, strong winds and a low barometric pressure that's when I hit my fav. lunker ponds from shore or in my one man 13ft. canoe.I like 3/4 oz. spinnerbaits, big Rapalas or Luhr jensen plugs 5#s. I feel that here in the Northeast, the worse the weather the better day for a trophy sized fish. Also, it seems the little dinks leave you alone.
Hookset
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 04:30 AM   #14
CCbass

I've posted time and again about this same topic and why I use a technique I fish going with the wind. I use to hate the wind now I hate no wind most of the time, here in Cali we have wind most of the time. If a calm day I switch tactics but need not most of the time by late morning. To me it seems most fishermans enemy is the wind, so why not find a technique that turns that negative into a positive.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 02:04 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

yeah if its really windy you are stuck throwin a crankbait or a spinnerbait, but if you can get out of the wind somewhat in a cove you can throw a heavy jig or a heavy c-rig/t-rig

also if the waves are 3+ and you are runnin for a while put them back in the rod locker... sometimes the straps break or come off and all your rods will be gone real quick
Old 04-15-09, 06:31 PM   #16
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

Love throwing rat l traps in bad weather, wind is bad in OK, so we just get use to using techniques that work, spinnerbaits are my second choice,

Good Luck and God Bless
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.