Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-15-09, 02:34 PM   #1
froggie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Slip Rig

Has anyone ever tried using a slip rig on the bottom floating a live minnow 12 inches from the bottom and reeling in slowly? also instead of minnows waterdogs? my buddy swears by this ive never tried it tho
froggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 04:24 PM   #2
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new here, but I think you will find that most people on here use artificial baits for bass, be it soft plastics or hard baits. As for the question, I have used minnows and waterdogs, but never for bass (assuming that's what species you are targeting).
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 07:13 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've never used that rig for minnow for bass, only a slip bobber when using live bait. However, it could work. I would expect you to get your share of bottom dwelling fish such as catfish and gar along with the occational bass. As for waterdogs, they are a killer bait for bass, especially in spring. I remember a guy who would pay the neighbor kids to find him waterdogs and tiger salamanders to fish for bass in the lake he lived on. He caught more HUGE bass than anyone I know.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 04:12 PM   #4
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

um not sure about the slip rigs but i know if you just hook a minnow or a blue gill through the back or the nose you can really catch some good bass..... caught some 4 lbers like that...... but like Keithdog said you will also catch some bottom dwelling fish... my bro once caught a 5lb mudfish when we were free linin a blue gill
Old 04-16-09, 04:32 PM   #5
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have used shiners a couple times but never minnows for bass

have used minnows several times the way you mentioned using them, but i was targeting crappie or catfish every time i did it.
Old 04-17-09, 05:42 AM   #6
froggie
BassFishin.Com Member

hmmm i see im not really a live bait fisher either unless its for other species, but my buddy says this is all the use and it works so i was just wondering
froggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.