Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-27-12, 12:07 AM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Watching the line

I made a trip yesterday to Lake Okhissa. I caught a fish that I deep hooked. Usually when I fish, I am looking around for action or my next target while the bait falls, especially on long cast in deeper water. For some reason I started watching my line. As it fell in 20' of water I saw it twitch, so I clicked the reel and caught the slack....fish on. A few minutes later, same thing. The wind picked up though and killed this indicator. I had a few more swing and misses, but it did teach me a valuable lesson that I need to pay better attention to my line when its falling. The fishing was far from spectacular, but I just thought I would share this PSA.
Old 10-27-12, 01:14 AM   #2
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bubba- I hear ya. I think most of the fish out here are liberal and light in the fins. Out of the handful of bass I've caught so far this year they are not aggressive biters and I've deep hooked a few. The first one sadly died as I thought I could get the hook out. The other 3 that I can recall, I reluctantly cut the line and left the hook in them. I'd rather they live with a pierced tongue and the hardware to show vice jacking around trying to get the hook out. The last this happened too he swam for quite some time before I even realized I had a fish on as he never "hit" the bait. He simply picked it up (on the fall) and swam with it.

Only on a jig or DS have I actually felt them hit it.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 05:50 AM   #3
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Bubba- I hear ya. I think most of the fish out here are liberal and light in the fins. Out of the handful of bass I've caught so far this year they are not aggressive biters and I've deep hooked a few. The first one sadly died as I thought I could get the hook out. The other 3 that I can recall, I reluctantly cut the line and left the hook in them. I'd rather they live with a pierced tongue and the hardware to show vice jacking around trying to get the hook out. The last this happened too he swam for quite some time before I even realized I had a fish on as he never "hit" the bait. He simply picked it up (on the fall) and swam with it.

Only on a jig or DS have I actually felt them hit it.
Shane (?) When you get a minute, here's a thread http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ht=deep+hooked that might help with the deep hooked fish. (my inaugural thread) especially the link Jrob gives in post #5. **there's a critical difference between just a deep hooked fish and a gut hooked fish, handled incorrectly the latter is usually a death sentence, I've rarely encountered a simply "deep" hook I couldn't easily remove harmlessly with needlenose's.**

Regarding seeing vs feeling a hit. Bubba is right about watching the line, especially on the fall.....but it can be just as important during each pause during the retrieve. Flourescent line can help if you like it. With modern super sensitive rods and fluorcarbon lines, feeling a little tap/bump/nudge from even the sweetest limp finned fish is much easier now than when a lot of us old farts started fishing and fiberglass and mono was all there was. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=29860
Way back in the early 70's when I wanted to master the "feel" of a worm bite I fished them almost exclusively at night. Believe me, if you want to shorten the learning curve, worm fishing blind will do it!

Oh..speaking of PSA's....fishing weightless plastic in a stiff wind leaves you just about as "blind" as night fishing so........technique is critical. If I make a long cast straight out in front of me and let's say the wind is blowing from right to left, I always hold my rod out to the left (downwind). Sooo much more sensitive and easier to take up slack and get a good hook set. This may seem like common sense but I can't tell you how many "good" fisherman I've shared a boat with that would point their rod upwind and wonder how I could be out fishing them 5 to 1.
Old 10-27-12, 06:38 AM   #4
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had numerous times when I would not have known there was a fish on had I not been watching my line. I can think of four times this year alone when I never felt the slightest thing but suddenly my line was traveling off in a direction it should not have been! Always a good idea to keep your eye on your line.

Last edited by Bassin' Gal; 10-27-12 at 06:38 AM. Reason: you should have been your
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 08:05 AM   #5
joedog

I've always been a line watcher. I'm either stripping line for a long cast straight drop (casting) or checking for tension on spinning trying to estimate depth. Once you start the cast watching you have a tendency to continue watching the line.
BUT, the mind wanders and BOAT LOAD of GIRLS always makes me neglect or re-focus my attention.
Old 10-27-12, 08:30 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I'm a line watcher with plastics, really doesn't apply with reaction style baits (unless you let a spinnerbait fall before retreiving it). While I do it with all line types, I think it especially applies when using braid as it floats and a lot of line lies on the water as the bait makes it's initial fall, and I let the bait fall on a slack line in most instances. The line ceasing to fall under the surface, move sideways (I LOVE when that happens), or just a little "tic" may be an indication a fish has taken the bait - you may, or may not, actually feel anything - which I think is Bubba's point, that he saw the line "twitch" before he felt anything.

Quote:
BUT, the mind wanders and BOAT LOAD of GIRLS always makes me neglect or re-focus my attention.
Oh boy, Joe you have a PM............................

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-27-12 at 08:38 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 08:56 AM   #7
joedog

GOT IT!

I'm thinking I'd rather be lost in the 'wild'! Thanks 'friend'?

Almost said 'woods', but no way am I opening that door!
Old 10-27-12, 09:09 AM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is where i have a problem garey. evidently, i'm missing some hits when the "bait" is falling in deep water like that. maybe i need to pay more attention as well. thanks bud.
Old 10-27-12, 11:28 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

These twitches in the line were very light, probably less than what you see engaging the reel when it hits bottom. I thought it might be falling in to a tree top but just thought I would check it out and bam. I don't think I have any issues with sensitivity with my rod and line selection for t-rigging, just an issue for sticking finicky fish. With line running through the rod and line spooling off the reel right at your hand I think it would dull anything on the bait side, it's just another indicator to dial in on.

I wonder how many 10 pounders I have let off the hook now? :°{
Old 10-27-12, 11:39 AM   #10
bamabassman

stop it bubba. hahaha. making me think of things i shouldn't. hahaha!
Old 10-28-12, 10:38 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

This is really key when jig fishing. So many fish eat the jig while it's falling and a lot of these fish are big ones. A lot of guys don't pay attention to this and have no idea they even had a bite.
Old 10-28-12, 11:51 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba_bruiser View Post
i wonder how many 10 pounders i have let off the hook now?
dozens.....
at least........... dozens
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.