Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Poll: Daiwa Fuego Vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier
Poll Options
Daiwa Fuego Vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-09, 08:35 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Daiwa Fuego Vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

I had mad my mind up on the Fuego, but than I say the Premier was the same amount of cash!! I'm gonna try to team it up with a Vendetta or a skeet Reese rod. I like the light weight of the premier, but the Fuego is still pretty light by my standards! I'll be using everything from 3/16 oz bullet weights, to 3/4 oz spinner baits, and jigs. Which would you say is over all better, in terms of smoothness, ability to cast light lures, and last longer (or what ever else you can thick of?)?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-15-09, 08:51 AM   #2
bamabassman

ABU GARCIA ALL THE WAY MAN. Yes I like Garcia's.
Old 11-15-09, 01:44 PM   #3
Forums Admin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ABU GARCIA ALL THE WAY MAN. Yes I like garcia's/
Could you elaborate a bit as to why you favor the Abu Garcia's?
Forums Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 03:36 PM   #4
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your poll only works if someone has actually tried both reels. I doubt that many on here , if any on here have actually tried both reels. I looked at the site listed below for information before buying anything , simply because they have tried almost every product out there.

www.tackletour.com

then go to review archive and look for the products your interested in. I seen the Revo Priemere isn't listed , but the STX is. As well as the Fuego.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 05:58 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Your poll only works if someone has actually tried both reels. I doubt that many on here , if any on here have actually tried both reels. I looked at the site listed below for information before buying anything , simply because they have tried almost every product out there.

www.tackletour.com

then go to review archive and look for the products your interested in. I seen the Revo Priemere isnt listed , but the STX is. As well as the Fuego.
Ya, I had a feeling that this was not too good of a forum for this! That's why I posted it on a few! Here's one to show! http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/v...p?f=11&t=44618

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How about this! If someone has used one, or really likes one brand (weather it be that model or not, or example what bama said) than say it, or if they've used one, a review, or a "how they like it" would be great!!
Old 11-15-09, 06:38 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Let me first qualify my entire post by saying I have not used or even held a Daiwa Fuego. However, I will make a few comments, since I do own a Revo Premier.

Aesthetically, I think the Fuego might have been superior to the 2009 Premier, if you're 12 years old and like blingety-bling bright red colors. The 2009 Premier was king of plain-jane ugly, but the 2010 model has beauftiful aesthetics. The new Premier also has a swept handle and drag star, sort of a neat look, and also a functional advantage.

Daiwa Fuego

2009 Revo Premier

2010 Revo Premier

Performance-wise, I think once again, the 2009 Premier could have fallen to the Fuego...it had a run of the mill 8lb drag (not sure how strong the Fuego's drag is, the ads only say "7 drag washers"...sounds strong) and magnetic brakes (like the Fuego). However, the 2010 Premier has a 23lb drag and additional centrifugal brakes, which almost certainly put it on top of the Fuego. The new Premier also has 3 more bearings, which may or may not be a performance booster, but if the reel costs the same, why not get more for your money?

Both have the detached spool feature, so I would guess the Fuego is probably good for light lures (the Premier definitely is).

Bottom line? If you like Daiwas, and can't wait for the new Premier, the Fuego sounds like a better reel than the old Premier. If you can wait a couple months for a far superior reel for the same money, wait for the Premier.
Old 11-15-09, 06:42 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Let me first qualify my entire post by saying I have not used or even held a Daiwa Fuego. However, I will make a few comments, since I do own a Revo Premier.

Aesthetically, I think the Fuego might have been superior to the 2009 Premier, if you're 12 years old and like blingety-bling bright red colors. The 2009 Premier was king of plain-jane ugly, but the 2010 model has beauftiful aesthetics. The new Premier also has a swept handle and drag star, sort of a neat look, and also a functional advantage.

Daiwa Fuego

2009 Revo Premier

2010 Revo Premier

Performance-wise, I think once again, the 2009 Premier could have fallen to the Fuego...it had a run of the mill 8lb drag (not sure how strong the Fuego's drag is, the ads only say "7 drag washers"...sounds strong) and magnetic brakes (like the Fuego). However, the 2010 Premier has a 23lb drag and additional centrifugal brakes, which almost certainly put it on top of the Fuego. The new Premier also has 3 more bearings, which may or may not be a performance booster, but if the reel costs the same, why not get more for your money?

Both have the detached spool feature, so I would guess the Fuego is probably good for light lures (the Premier definitely is).

Bottom line? If you like Daiwas, and can't wait for the new Premier, the Fuego sounds like a better reel than the old Premier. If you can wait a couple months for a far superior reel for the same money, wait for the Premier.
Cool no fear! I've gotta say though, the fuego looks nice, but for some reason I find the 2009 premier kinda sexy!? I don't know why, just do.

Do you have the new, or old premier?
Old 11-15-09, 06:51 PM   #8
nofearengineer

New. I'm going to buy a couple more next spring too...either that or STX's. I'll wait til I find them dirt cheap.
Old 11-15-09, 09:05 PM   #9
bassinbob

I have 2 Premiers and like them alot. Never owned any Diawa baitcasters. Was using them yesterday and caught a couple of 5 lbers. On another note Gander Mountain is going to have STX HS on Thanksgiving for $99.
Old 11-15-09, 09:42 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bassboss, I responded to your poll from my phone, but waited till I was at my computer for the full response.

The Fuego - seriously a cool looking reel, but looks are not nearly as important as performance. Being a magnesium reel, you'll have to be a bit more careful, and especially don't use it in saltwater.

The Revo - IMO, also a very cool looking reel, just in a different respect than the fuego. It's definately a tough choice though. Let me run few a different aspects I take into consideration when buying a reel.

Components - Both reels are made with good, quality components. Both have brass (or brass alloy) main gears. The aluminum on the premier is going to be more durable than the magneseum of the fuego, but as long as you care for the reel, it shouldn't be a problem.

Performance - Both reels feature magnetic brakes (which I personally prefer over centrifugal). I've used and love Daiwa's magforce V and Z breaking systems. I cannot comment on the Revo's since the only revo I have used has centrifugal. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on casting for either of these reels, but comparing the next two reels in the companies' lineups (the Zillion and Skeet Reese Revo), they are both decent casters down to about 1/8oz. If you want a real finesse reel for weightless worms and such, go with the Daiwa Sol for USDM or a Pixy if you want to go JDM.

Both reels are smooth, but in a different way. Like you'll find on TT, Daiwa is known for the specific feel you get while reeling. It's not buttery smooth, but more mechanical feeling. It's hard to explain until you feel it for yourself (which I believe you have since you have an Advantage A, right?) The Revo is going to give you that buttery smooth feeling that some anglers prefer. Personally, I feel a bit more connected with what's going on with the mechanical feel of the Daiwas.

Ergonimics - I think both reels palms nicely (I've held the Fuego, and all the Revo's are built on the same body) but one complaint about the revo (and you'll find the same thing on TT) is the thing for the level wind is in the front of the reel instead off towards the bottom. This can be an issue if you palm w/ your index finger above the rod. Both reels are fairly light, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Now one thing I'd consider if your two choices of rods. If you were looking at any other rods, I'd probably say either reel would work, and would probably recommend the Fuego. But the Vendetta rods are meant to be fished with the Revo reels and fit the reels ergonomically. Also, the Skeet Reese reels are probably designed with the revo (or more specifically, a certain revo) in mind. With your rod choices, I'd have to say go with the Premier.

If you can wait and want to save for the 2010 Premier, then I'd say do it. But then again, if you're spending that much, I'd say buy a Zillion, lol.

BB
Old 11-15-09, 09:49 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Man oh man...we all have to do a tackle round up at Dale Hollow and everybody can check out all the other gear they haven't seen before.
Old 11-16-09, 08:34 AM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Bassboss, I responded to your poll from my phone, but waited till I was at my computer for the full response.

The Fuego - seriously a cool looking reel, but looks are not nearly as important as performance. Being a magnesium reel, you'll have to be a bit more careful, and especially don't use it in saltwater.

The Revo - IMO, also a very cool looking reel, just in a different respect than the fuego. It's definately a tough choice though. Let me run few a different aspects I take into consideration when buying a reel.

Components - Both reels are made with good, quality components. Both have brass (or brass alloy) main gears. The aluminum on the premier is going to be more durable than the magneseum of the fuego, but as long as you care for the reel, it shouldn't be a problem.

Performance - Both reels feature magnetic brakes (which I personally prefer over centrifugal). I've used and love Daiwa's magforce V and Z breaking systems. I cannot comment on the Revo's since the only revo I have used has centrifugal. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on casting for either of these reels, but comparing the next two reels in the companies' lineups (the Zillion and Skeet Reese Revo), they are both decent casters down to about 1/8oz. If you want a real finesse reel for weightless worms and such, go with the Daiwa Sol for USDM or a Pixy if you want to go JDM.

Both reels are smooth, but in a different way. Like you'll find on TT, Daiwa is known for the specific feel you get while reeling. It's not buttery smooth, but more mechanical feeling. It's hard to explain until you feel it for yourself (which I believe you have since you have an Advantage A, right?) The Revo is going to give you that buttery smooth feeling that some anglers prefer. Personally, I feel a bit more connected with what's going on with the mechanical feel of the Daiwas.

Ergonimics - I think both reels palms nicely (I've held the Fuego, and all the Revo's are built on the same body) but one complaint about the revo (and you'll find the same thing on TT) is the thing for the level wind is in the front of the reel instead off towards the bottom. This can be an issue if you palm w/ your index finger above the rod. Both reels are fairly light, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Now one thing I'd consider if your two choices of rods. If you were looking at any other rods, I'd probably say either reel would work, and would probably recommend the Fuego. But the Vendetta rods are meant to be fished with the Revo reels and fit the reels ergonomically. Also, the Skeet Reese reels are probably designed with the revo (or more specifically, a certain revo) in mind. With your rod choices, I'd have to say go with the Premier.

If you can wait and want to save for the 2010 Premier, then I'd say do it. But then again, if you're spending that much, I'd say buy a Zillion, lol.

BB
Sweet BigB! Thanks a lot! I would definitely get a zillion... or 50th Anv Zillion if I had that much $$!

And to answer you're question, I don't have an Advantage A.

Quote:
Man oh man...we all have to do a tackle round up at Dale Hollow and everybody can check out all the other gear they haven't seen before.
I agree! That would be way cool for sure!
Old 11-16-09, 10:31 AM   #13
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The new 2010 Revo Premier is now available at Tackle Warehouse. I just got an email yesterday morning and they have a bunch of the new ICAST products in stock, including the Vendetta and Vengeance rods as well as the Tessera rods.
Old 11-16-09, 06:08 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
The new 2010 Revo Premier is now available at Tackle Warehouse. I just got an email yesterday morning and they have a bunch of the new ICAST products in stock, including the Vendetta and Vengeance rods as well as the Tessera rods.
I just check my e-mail, thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-17-09, 10:47 PM   #15
bamabassman

Ok for further clarification for the forums admin. I have 2 of the original Abu Garcia mag force reels. The FIRST of the mag. Baitcasters to hit the market. (I think, correct me if I am wrong.) I have had them for over 25 years. The mag I and mag II. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with performance or reliability. only recently have I had to "rebuild them". The quality is outstanding. Strength is undeniable.
Old 11-18-09, 11:01 AM   #16
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I have a Fuego and have used many premiers. I am a Daiwa fan to start with. its hard to say which one I would choose if it came down to it but I would probably go with the Fuego. My buddy is having Durabilty issues with the premiers but. My fuegos are holding up well. It really comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-18-09, 01:19 PM   #17
doc

Quote:

2009 Revo Premier

2010 Revo Premier

Performance-wise, I think once again, the 2009 Premier could have fallen to the Fuego...it had a run of the mill 8lb drag

My 09 Premier has the 24lb carbon matrix drag
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 03:31 PM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
My 09 Premier has the 24lb carbon matrix drag
How's doing for ya?
Old 11-18-09, 07:26 PM   #19
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If ones likes red, why would that make one a 12 year old? A tiny little research will show Fuego means fire in Spanish hence the red. Personally I have never held one either and not sure I like the looks of it. Would it not of made more sense to locate the dial on the back of the reel so that I can easily be adjusted from the thumb of the hand holding the rod and reel combo? I am sure an engineer could have made that happen without compromise. Will be interesting to see what happens with this reel and its price. Of course you have the saltwater issue as well.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 10:13 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Vegasspider, I've fished with a few Daiwas (Viento, Zillion, Procaster, Advantage A) and I have to say, while it may not seem like it, magnetic brake dial (which I think you're referring to) is quite conveniently located. I can adjust it easily with my thumb by turning the reel on its side (handle down) as bringing my thumb towards the dial and I bring my palm farther away from the reel. It's hard to describe accurately how, but it is easy and quick.

BB
Old 11-19-09, 12:03 AM   #21
TN_Bassin

I would go with the Revo Premier all the way. I just bought 1 premier and 3 STX's and i think they are the smoothest reels I have ever used, and i usually fish with a Calais.

I have used the Fuego briefly (My friend has one), and it just didn't feel as friendly in my hand as the premier does.
Old 11-19-09, 10:07 AM   #22
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
How's doing for ya?

Best reel I've ever had, I do use my stx for fishing the real heavy stuff (it just feels tougher ) But, I love the premier great reel.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.