Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-06, 06:28 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Quantum Fans

What is you quantum fans thoughts about the Tournament Grade TG400CX reel. As I steted before I use to be a quantum fan, had bad dealings with them and now from what I have read quantum is turning around and becoming much more consumer friendly shall I say. Got a chance to pick a couple of these up at a GREAT price! Let me know how well this reel performs or dont.
Old 04-12-06, 11:11 AM   #2
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

I just happen to have one of those and have had no problems with it ...unitl recently that is. Just last week the line guide wants to hang up on one side and not travel back and forth like it is supposed to so you end up with a pile of line rolled onto the spool in one area which makes the next cast not so much fun when trying to thumb the spool...if you know what i mean. I took the reel apart and it apears that the line guide pawl is a bit worn where it mates to the worm gear and i am sure that is the reason for the problem...and i can't seem to find anyone that can get me that part. I have used the reel for quite some time and it has been good to me though and mechanical things will wear out and that is to be expected.
Old 04-12-06, 04:50 PM   #3
pig n jig

Laser, I bought one a few years ago and I have never used it. I did add a bearing in it to help the function of the reel, but I have got too many other reels I like better than to take it fishing.Instant message me if your interested in the one I have, I will never use it.They do have a aluminum frame and they seem to be built pretty good. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 05:43 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the energy pt reels are very good i have not had a bad one yet..

zooker
Old 04-12-06, 07:10 PM   #5
bass kicker

i dont mind the reels but i love the rods

quantum is better then shimano IMO
Old 04-13-06, 12:43 AM   #6
flamez
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

my quantum iron did that exact same thing perkdog stupid worm gear just quit on me ide have to like have my pinky jammed in there while i realed and it would go back on the other direction if west side doesnt want it im always open for a freebie need something for a texas rigged up 24/ 7
Old 04-13-06, 06:05 AM   #7
pig n jig

Perkdog, Thats an easy part to fix.The part is usually called a line guide pawl.P N J
Old 04-13-06, 07:39 AM   #8
FlyRod

Not to rub salt in anyone's wounds...
When a level wind fails, either due to excessive wear on the worm gear OR the pawl, it's usually the result of neglect. Now take a deep breath...

OK, the two most common causes are lack of lubrication and/or foreign matter in the worm gear or pawl housing.
The worm gear can easily pick up almost invisible bits of sand or other forms of crud. This "chews" on both the gear and the pawl, with the pawl usually failing first (good, since that's cheaper and easier to replace.)
Proper lubing AFTER cleaning means much too. This is where you use a good grease, NOT oil. The pawl actually swivels back and forth in it's little housing so if it gets dry or jammed up, it's a short time before it's two "teeth" become so worn as to not engage the "rifling" in the worm gear. It must be well-greased as well.
Actually, it's not a bad idea to inspect the worm gear every few uses to see of the little pointy parts of the grooves are sharp and clearly defined. Plus, you should always carry a spare pawl and pawl cap (especially if the cap is NOT made of metal), as well as the tiny shim that some pawl assemblies require.
If you transport your gear in the boat or vehicle, exposed to the elements, the grease on the worm gear will collect dust, sand, etc, blown up from the road and hasten the demise of your levelwind,
I inspect the gears on pawls on my reels regularly and replace them BEFORE they fail...well, most of the time, LOL!
Finally...KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF THE LEVELWIND SYSTEM WHEN FISHING! This is every bit so bad as "riding" the spool with your thumb when retrieving...don't do either.

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 08:00 AM   #9
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

P N J, I know what the problem is but when i called a Quantum service rep. they said they couldn't get me the part for that particular reel. Does any one know if a "Pawl" from a different model Quantum would work? I did a temp fix and made another shim to place on top of the other one and it seems to work ok for now. Oh, and F Rod, I usually CLEAN and GREASE my worm gear and other parts to my reels about once a month at least. If i fished every day then of course I would do it more often.
Old 04-13-06, 05:06 PM   #10
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Chief - What Quantum model you have? I might have a spare part for ya.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 05:54 PM   #11
pig n jig

What I was going to guess that most of the line guide pawls on the Quantums would be the same except when you get in upper line of reels with the ceramic line pawl systems might be different.P N J
Old 04-14-06, 07:51 AM   #12
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Hef, it's a TG400CX... and P N J i was thinking the same thing plus it can't be all that expensive to give it a shot... But i have a club tourny tomorrow on Lake Lanier so will have to deal with it for now.
Old 04-14-06, 04:11 PM   #13
flamez

i searched for the damn part to my Iron for so long till i gave up and scrapped it -.-
Old 04-14-06, 05:21 PM   #14
pig n jig

Flamez, I sent you a part for a Quantum ? P N J
Old 04-15-06, 05:21 PM   #15
flamez

Yah i remember didnt get it to work right its all sitting in a bag taken apart right now i use the TG400CX aswell ive had it for a year and a half and it still casts as smooth as the day i bought it
Old 04-15-06, 05:22 PM   #16
flamez

some day ill take the time and put the IRON b ack together
Old 04-16-06, 09:35 PM   #17
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez
some day ill take the time and put the IRON b ack together
Well considering PNj went to all the toruble to send it to you, I think that would be a good idea. If your not gonna do it, then ship it all to PNJ so he can make the best out of it. That's like having someone give you a diamond for a ring, and then blowing it off as too much of a pain. The big difference is that I would much rather have the reel, then the diamond.

Lizards
Old 04-16-06, 10:57 PM   #18
flamez

i have the part that pnj sent me thats not the problem anymore that was my anti reverse thats all fixed its the worm gear it gets stuck on one side goes a lil bit and stays there stuck
Old 04-17-06, 07:55 AM   #19
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Flamez
I made me a homemade shim from some material I found in the garage(very thin material) and put it in on top of the shim that is already there and i used the reel all day fishing at Lanier and it worked fine. I guess it forces the Pawl down into the worm gear a little more...but you have to be careful not to strip the assembly out when putting it back together and tightening it since it is plastic and you will feel a difference in the retrieve. I had to adjust it ever so slightly to get it where i could live with it for a day.
Old 04-17-06, 08:30 AM   #20
flbassman

I had a quantum spinner, and the drag kept exploding. Fixed it real nice a few times, then just glued it up and gave it to my little brother. No more quantums for me.
Old 04-17-06, 01:03 PM   #21
bass kicker

i dont mind them iwill use them over a ****mano any day
Old 04-17-06, 03:21 PM   #22
flamez

i love quantums and shimanos but ABU GARCIA FOR LIFE!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.