Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-29-12, 12:25 AM   #1
MikeDeepCreekLake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braid with Fluorocarbon Leader Crankbaits

Is anyone using a Baitcaster / Crankbait setup with Braid / FC leader ? What
advantage and/or disadvantage with it , like feel ? knot coming apart ?

Would a good setup be 50lb Braid / 15lb FC

Thanks Mike P.
MikeDeepCreekLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 02:53 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like a swivel for c-rigs and a uni knot for saltwater LTJ

Capt Mike
Old 04-29-12, 04:47 AM   #3
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I like a swivel for c-rigs and a uni knot for saltwater LTJ

Capt Mike
Wont the swivel get caught in the eyes of the rod during cast?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 04:30 PM   #4
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ok I can answer this one. I throw cranks about 95% of the time and I use nothing but braid mostly 6lb to 10lb Sufix performance braid! (Another story on the low pound test) I was always running braid straight to my cranks (would use a snap though for better action) was always worried about the visibility issue although with the waters I was fishing usually had some color. I went down to Florida for a year and fished for snook and red. Still in love with the braid but now fishing clear water. I had been turned on to a knot from Joey deans….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnk9miNAEQ8 love this knot….NEVER failed me and I caught a ton of fish! This thing is the real deal and super easy to tie! here are some of the fish...... I was using powerpro 20lb test with Seaguar red label 20lb test leader

Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 06:31 PM   #5
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Awesome pics man!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 10:59 AM   #6
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

[QUOTE=Crankbait;380012] Ok I can answer this one. I throw cranks about 95% of the time and I use nothing but braid mostly 6lb to 10lb Sufix performance braid! (Another story on the low pound test) I was always running braid straight to my cranks (would use a snap though for better action) was always worried about the visibility issue although with the waters I was fishing usually had some color.]

@crankbait Why 6lb to 10lb test braid? Thought Id be first to ask! LOL Got a newsletter to from Kevin and he says he uses 8lb braid on his spinning reels also just curious to why so light? Just seems to me 20lb test would be more reasonable, im thinking the less thicknesss the less it floats?
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 12:47 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

On the c-rig I use 20-50 lb braid and a 1/2 oz egg sinker, then a bead to protect the knot to the swivel. Then 3 feet of 20 lb flouro to the hook. Normally I use a Zoom lizard or an air fry.

In salt water the braid and flouro are joined with a uni-knot to three feet of leader. The leader serves two reasons. First it allows me to lift the fish out of the water without cutting my hand open. Second gives stealth to the lure. OH and a third is allows a loop knot so the lure moves better.

Capt Mike
Old 04-30-12, 01:32 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I know guys that fish cranks on braid - but I can't see any reason to do it myself. Those that use braid, usually use a lighter rod to compensate for braid's lack of stretch. Reaction baits with treble hooks fished on braid just doesn't make sense to me as I don't like whippy or wimpy rods, others obviously do, and braid (IMO) makes pulling trebles out of a fish's mouth easier than using other lines. Braid has it's use, I use it on spinning gear as it doesn't have any memory and reduces loops on the spool, and for heavy cover and slow presentations where feel is more critical. I don't think braid's beficial characteristics shine with crankbaits, it does much better with plastics, jigs & frogs (cover issures). The other point is the knot - especially if you're using micro guide rods. Cranks are usually cast with the bait within a few inches of the rod tip, a knot with micro guides can be a PITA on a royal scale. As far as line test with cranks - 15# is heavy - I use 10# on all but the deep divers for which I use 12#. I think the heavier the line kills the action of the shallow running cranks somewhat, and why dimininish a baits action when there isn't any real need to do so.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 11:16 AM   #9
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

I personally don't like how stiff braid is for reaction baits. I guess it could work if you had a really limber rod, but IMPO braid and treble hooks are a recipe for lost fish. I prefer straight fluorocarbon for reaction baits. Even though Fluorocarbon is still pretty stiff it still gives a little more cushion for those fish that just slap at your bait, and those that decide to make a run right under your boat.

The only reason I would throw braid on a crankbait was to get it deeper due to the thin diameter. I know some people are going to try to say that braid floats so it won't get your bait deeper, but it will if you burn it. Also some brands of braided line don't even float they sink like fluorocarbon. I would throw something like 20 lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader. The only knot I would use as a connection between the fluoro and braid is the albright knot.

This is all my personal opinion. Whatever works for you is what works for you. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, and then apply your own logic through experience.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.