Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-22-07, 06:11 PM   #1
KSbassfishinkid34
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to KSbassfishinkid34
Default Standing timber

Hi guys i came across this site, theres a lot of good info bein shared on here so i thought i would join. anyway i wanted to see what your go to method is on standing timber in a lake during springtime. i myself do a lot of pitchin with jig and pig, but i was wondering if anyone has some more techniques.

thanks
KSbassfishinkid34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 06:28 PM   #2
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

jig and pig is always a good option for standing timber. one of the best if you ask me.
There are a few lakes in my area that are flooded creek beds, with standing timber, but the trees stick out of the lake 30 feet, yet its 40 feet deep still. In those instances i like to use a lizard or something with a 1/4 oz weight, and work it up and down the column until i find something. Usually I can mark fish with my electronics too, or at least find the thermocline to help gauge where the fish will be.
if its shallow timber, or summer, or the fish are moving up shallow at any point, i like to use a timber tiger crank bait and knock the crap out of those logs.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 07:55 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

A jig is good. I also like a tube, a creature bait like a brush hog, and I LOVE throwing a Bandit 100 Series crankbait in flooded timber. With the square bill it is remarkably snag-free.
Old 01-22-07, 10:25 PM   #4
Jolly

Springtime equals prespawn around here. That means feeding fish suspending off of submerged timber on deep flats, points and mouths of coves. I use a suspending jerkbait most of the spring time. I also use square billed jerkbait (more weedless) and a rattle trap when I'm willing to lose $20 or so. Shad, clown and red shad seem to be the best colors IMO.

If I'm fishing standing timber, I dropshot a small 4" tiki stick or senko (white, gray - basically shad color) right in the middle of those trees and work my way to the edges. Also burn a rattle trap or spinnerbait in between the trees at about 1' off the bottom.

Jolly
Old 01-22-07, 10:42 PM   #5
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i like slow rolling big spinnerbaits and i also like rattle traps and super flukes.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-07, 06:24 AM   #6
zooker

umm badit 100,spinner bait,and dead dropping a large worm. this is what i do in timber..

zooker
Old 01-23-07, 03:14 PM   #7
mont_lunker_hunter

I agree with Zook. I like to throw a 10" worm (gaitor tail type so it falls slower). I make a long cast on tight line so the worm "swoops" back towards me. This allows me to cover everything from surface to bottom. Once you figure out the position of the fish, you can refine your presentation with spinnerbait or crankbait.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:15 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Weightless lizards are very hard to beat around timber.

Lizards
Old 01-25-07, 01:08 PM   #9
Redtail
BassFishin.Com Member

My favorite is a Yamamoto "Fat Ika" rigged skirt up on 4/0 Red Gammie. If you've never tried this bait, you might want to. It's like a Tube only solid and falls away from you as it decends. Great for getting near timber and going under docks!
Redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 09:26 PM   #10
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the forum Redtail!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 08:39 AM   #11
rangerbuz
BassFishin.Com Member

....hard to beat a 1/2 oz spinnerbait slow rolled over and around the trees and
if any have any limbs underwater, when the SB rolls over the limb, let if free fall and hold on..!!...IMHO the color should match the water clarity and the
brightness of the sun.....my favorite is white with cream chartreuse and 2 silver willow leaf blades....I have had some luck with a 4 balde SB but it is
difficult to find one that will run true and all baldes turning....usually there is a certain retrieve speed that will accomplish this but again difficult to obtain, and maintain...
rangerbuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:57 AM   #12
Curado

I like to throw jigs, tubes, senkos, and big worms around standing timber. I also like to throw spinnerbaits around anything and everything.
Old 02-04-07, 06:02 PM   #13
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

RATLTRAPS and spinnerbaits are awesome in the timber until the ol sun gets up. Then the SENKO reigns supreme.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 02:11 PM   #14
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

The correct lure is important.. obviously, but what is just as important is locating the fish in the standing timber. You must always look for something different in those areas. If there are hundreds of trees standing vertically, and just 1 on its side, there WILL be a fish on that fallen tree, guaranteed. Look for trees that look shorter than those around it, it could very well be in a deep hole or channel. Once you have figured out where exactly they are, read and study the water. What Baitfish are there? What would bass be eating in these areas etc. Weightless Super Flukes are very good amongst timber, so are Square-lipped crankbaits. (Bill Normans Fat boy) Senko's and Square lipped jerkbaits (suspending) will be eaten with great "gusto" too. you can't go wrong with a spinnerbait either

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.