Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-13-07, 05:26 PM   #1
Southern_Angler_#1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Post spawn bass

Where did they go??? The spawn sort of slowed down then it ended and know the bass are gone. I have moved into deeper waters and still cant find them. I just can not find where they are hiding. There is no deep structure in the lake i fish and there is not much bottom contour. Anyone got any ideas?
Southern_Angler_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 05:28 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Our spawn is pretty much over, and they are hitting everything! I have had great success with t-rigged senkos over hydrilla flats, and deepdiving crankbaits..
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 04:53 PM   #3
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

They are still in the area. Look for huge schools of tiny baby bass and the mother will be close by. Remember that they are still in a protecting stage and are going to chase away any threat to there babies. Tie on a big jerkbait in baby bass colour or a lure that resembles the colour of a blugill (jig) or any other natural enemy of a bass and WORK the area where their babies are. There will be an aggressive bass nearby that will fly at your lure out of nowhere. They usually take their young to nearby reeds, boat docks, trees or slightly deeper water for protection.

Good Luck
Old 04-29-07, 05:21 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

here after spawn you get a two week dulldrum that is very hard to find the fish. -or find ones that will bite- after that the summer areas are the places to hit..

zooker
Old 04-29-07, 06:02 PM   #5
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, my bad.. lol
Old 04-29-07, 06:52 PM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAbassboy View Post
Oh, my bad.. lol
Hey, Each lake can be totally different
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 07:15 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
Hey, Each lake can be totally different
boy aint that the living truth.. the lakes i fish range from tea color to gin clear. water fluctuations don't help much.. one of the lakes i fish has no weeds or vegation.. the others are ringed with it..

they are day and night differance tackle color wise..

zooker
Old 04-30-07, 05:20 PM   #8
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAbassboy View Post
They are still in the area. Look for huge schools of tiny baby bass and the mother will be close by. Remember that they are still in a protecting stage and are going to chase away any threat to there babies. Tie on a big jerkbait in baby bass colour or a lure that resembles the colour of a blugill (jig) or any other natural enemy of a bass and WORK the area where their babies are. There will be an aggressive bass nearby that will fly at your lure out of nowhere. They usually take their young to nearby reeds, boat docks, trees or slightly deeper water for protection.

Good Luck
The mother's don't guard the fry and the males don't take them anywhere. I've seen the males start eating the fry they were guarding the day before.
Old 05-01-07, 08:14 PM   #9
angelus40
BassFishin.Com Active Member

nothing in my neck of the woods
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 12:06 PM   #10
DadofJolly
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow, we are just starting our spawn here. It is has been said that they don't abandon the spawning areas immediately. They just move a little deeper OR right into the middle of thickest cover available in that area. But, after the spawn it's topwater time here. I don't really know why, but, every year when there is no more visible bass we go to pop-r's and chug-bugs in the same spawning areas and start catching again. You would think that if they are "recovering" from the spawn and inactive, a slow finesse approach would be best. But, for some reason topwaters shine here during post spawn. I had some success last year looking for newly hatched fry also. I fished a short, light carolina rig with a skinny french fry (red shad or green melon). It is a form of sight fishing really. We would cruise around the same places we had caught spawners looking for little schools of fry - then start casting. There was always a bass nearby. I don't know if they were protecting or hunting the fry. But they were always there. Some times the "cloud" or school of fry were sitting in the tops of bushes. I would drag my french fry by the bush and get bit. One other technique that has worked for me during post spawn is to dead stick a senko style or other small straight tail worm in the middle of slightly deeper cover in the same spawning areas. I would fish it weightless on spinning gear - just flipping it into the cover and let it sit as long as I could stand it. Its boring but it has worked for me. Hope this helps.
God Bless.
Old 05-03-07, 04:40 PM   #11
kennybfm
BassFishin.Com Member

Our spawn just started about 5-6 days ago. In one of the lakes I fish at. There is a dock and I've spotted about 4 beds underneath of the dock. i've been catching largemouth left and right with tubes, rubber crawdads, and rubber salamanders. Yesterday I went fishing again, and noticed some fry near the end of the dock, in very shallow waters and there were two largemouths hanging out there.
kennybfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 10:55 AM   #12
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

southern angler, i'm across the river in Arkansas and here they're tearin' it up in about 8' of water (water clarity is about 3-4 feet). Right now you should find a few in the same areas as they were during pre-spawn, they usually use the same travel routes. Basically, it can be the same travel pattern as pre-spawn, just in reverse. As always, i'm speakin of big females only. I find the males to be unpredictable at my lake during this time. Most people here (lake Monticello) fish big worms, but with all the pressure over the last month, i've caught ALL my fish on a baby brush hog.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 03:53 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
The mother's don't guard the fry and the males don't take them anywhere. I've seen the males start eating the fry they were guarding the day before.

Right on !!

The spawn is a 48 hr thing for the female and then she goes to ledge or a deep drop and rests. No bite from her for at least a week or two. Then she comes right back to the bed and starts hunting down her young to eat. She will hang there for day at max. Then they go shallow like the males.

The male guards the nest for about four to seven days and leaves. He goes shallow backwater to find food. About half of the big males will go deep like the female and not bite for a few days. The rest go shallow. He is the first show up way back in creeks and eating frogs and baby shad.

Tide and temps play the variables. But that is the gist..

Capt Mike
Old 05-04-07, 04:00 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

Have you seen gar spawning?

They lay there fry right on top of bass and leave ten minutes later.

The male bass protects them from preditors thinking they are bass.

Ah the circle of life..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.