Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-07, 09:02 PM   #1
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Whats the best flipping rod?

I have started to finesse fish with my baitcasters and need to update my rods. I need somthing that is more limber so i can really feel and give the bait action while it is on the bottom but rigid enouph to get a fish in fast. Anyone have any suggestions?
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 09:37 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Test out a 6'6" or 7' Shimano Clarus or Crucial or St. Croix Premiere or Avid. They're nice rods. Will run over $70 to $160. Or better yet, get one custom made.
Old 04-16-07, 11:42 PM   #3
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have both a 7' falcon original and an 7' all star (don't know make, sorry, its the cheapest AS they make) both in MH. I use them both for < 3/8 oz jigs, tx rigs, light c-rigs, light drop shots, tubes, weightless senkos, and pretty much anything in the finesse fishing genre. Both rods are about $100 and are the two rods I use the most. Both or either rod would make a good addition to anyones rod collection, however if I had to pick one, I would pick the all star. It has more tip, but, more backbone and is slightly lighter IMO.

Hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 04-17-07, 09:51 AM   #4
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I like my MH 7' Team Daiwa V rod. Bought it 2 years ago for less than $40. Thought there would be major differences between that and the ones that cost more, but it lacks no detail and has everything I could want in a flipping stick. Super sensitive and has ceramic fuji guides. Plenty of rigidity and the tip is soft enough to work even the smallest flipping bait. I used to use it for 3/16oz tubes out in open water w/ some 14lb. test, but had to start using heavier baits because of the distance the bait needed to go. It's a really versatile rod too. I use this rod for multiple applications...frogs/jigs/worms/tubes/c-rigs....and to me, it's perfect for all of those.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 10:07 AM   #5
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Waity a minute, you want a flipping stick, or a finesse stick? Two different things, unless I'm not reading it right!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 10:23 AM   #6
mont_lunker_hunter

I use a 7' Falcon Lowrider XG (MH). It's very similar to a carolina rig rod. A C-rig type rod should have the characteristics ur looking for. Basically, it sounds like ur wanting something with a fast taper. And don't forget about the guides (can't go wrong with fugi), the more the better as far sensitivity goes. A 7' stick should have no less than 10 guides, IMO.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 09:46 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
Waity a minute, you want a flipping stick, or a finesse stick? Two different things, unless I'm not reading it right!
Thought the same thing, dp.

Renegade, flipping and finesse are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Sounds like what you are looking for is a heavy action rod with a fast tip. Falcon makes a weightless worm rod that has a limber tip for throwing weightless worms and wacky rigs but is still a heavy action rod. I've got 2, and they do a great job:

LFC-5-167
Clark Wendlandt Weightless Worm Special
Old 04-17-07, 10:15 PM   #8
dampeoples

Never used the Falcon's, but I've got a Daiwa Light & Tough wormin Jiggin rod that sound like it's up your alley.

Best thing to do with a rod is to borrow one, if possible. Holding it in the store, bending it in half accomplishes absolutely nothing at all. If this isn't possible, stick with a name brand stick, most are technique specific nowadays, if you can get one that says it's a flipping rod, go for it, though flipping rods tend to be broom handles, might want to look for a heavier worm/jig stick instead.
Old 04-17-07, 10:55 PM   #9
weaverml34

I've got an Airrus Co-Matrix. It works great for pitchin jigs in your driveway. So far that's the only time I've got to use it.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 11:04 PM   #10
dampeoples

The Co-Matrix is a nice stick, was gonna recommend an Ultra XL next, that's my worm rod, the Daiwa is my jig stick
Old 04-18-07, 12:37 AM   #11
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by renagadebee34 View Post
I have started to finesse fish with my baitcasters and need to update my rods. I need somthing that is more limber so i can really feel and give the bait action while it is on the bottom but rigid enouph to get a fish in fast. Anyone have any suggestions?
No one of us here has the right answer for YOU in particular. Why not begin your education the right way? Here's a good start...

http://www.falconrods.com/products.php?CategoryID=5

Read the descriptions for each model rod and project those into what YOU perceive to be YOUR style of fishing.
Most "5-???" Falcons are Medium/Heavy power rods, with one exception (and I suspect that to be a misprint.) The "6-, 7-" rods are the heavies.

I, too, use and enjoy a 5-167 Falcon Lowrider, but it is too weak in the tip to properly flip or pitch the heavier jigs and weighted plastics with any accuracy at all. Seek further.
Were I to pick one for you, it'd be a 6'10 to 7'2" Heavy/Fast of some type AFTER I tested it with lures up to one ounce.
FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 09:48 AM   #12
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't flip any, but I do believe the pros use the longer stiffer backboned rods for that. 7 footers or better....???
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 07:39 PM   #13
rector626
BassFishin.Com Member

esox fishing rods look it up on line they have a great product. I think that the 6'6" cd casting rod my be what your looking for. Their web site is www.esoxfishingrods.com.
Old 04-21-07, 02:05 PM   #14
fishinfool17
BassFishin.Com Member

Loomis Loomis Loomis
fishinfool17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.