Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-31-09, 06:12 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Weeds and wind...

Patoka Lake, where I fish, has a ton of bands of submerged weeds, mostly Foxtail, Cabomba, whatever you guys call it. There are bands of it growing on a rocky, pebbly bottom all over the place. On days when the bass aren't biting, I just know they're hiding out in these patches.

My question is, do you think wind over the tops of these beds would put more fish in them? Or would they be better when it's calm? I plan on testing it out, but it would be nice to have an idea of where to start.
Old 05-31-09, 06:22 PM   #2
JB

try a lure like a Manns minus one, it only goes a few inches under the surface and won't get hung up to much compared to a crankbait that is a shallow runner.
Sometimes the fish may be on the edge of a weedline on the deep side, but its up to you to find out if they are in the weeds or shallow or deep, thats the fun of it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 06:23 PM   #3
bamabassman

either way i think the bass are DEFINANTLY in there pal. the grass will hold bass as long as the water is ther,lol. now wind blowing INTO the grass will draw a few more for feeding i think. at least it makes sense to me. cause the bait fish ae there as well as the plankton the bait fish eat. therefore, yeah.......... they're in there alright.

did this make sense to anyone besides me? hahahahahaha.
Old 05-31-09, 06:32 PM   #4
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The water there should be a few degrees cooler there and the wind should stir up the oxygen I would think so it should hold some fish. Try a fluke and twitch it just over the weeds or maybe a spinnerbait.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 09:42 PM   #5
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Try walking a frog across the tops or a buzzbait may work
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 10:27 PM   #6
Rebbasser

If you have wind grab yourself a spinnerbait. Wind and weeds make for an ideal spinnerbait situation.
Old 05-31-09, 11:09 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
If you have wind grab yourself a spinnerbait. Wind and weeds make for an ideal spinnerbait situation.
Yeah, what Reb said. Plus I'd be pitchin a T- rigged beaver bait weighted with a tungstin bullet weight pegged right into those weeds.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 11:11 PM   #8
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would try a weightless senko t-rigged along the edge. Or a wacky rigged senko. That way you could find out if they are on the inside or outside of the weedline.

Did that last week (wacky style) in a tournament and found all my fish were on the inside.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 11:17 PM   #9
bamabassman

man i am learning ALOT FROM THIS THREAD. thanks gang.
Old 05-31-09, 11:39 PM   #10
wareagledc

how about a lipples crank? i like ripping these out of the grass and yo yo ing them back. get a lot of hits on the fall so keep the slack reeled in
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 03:40 PM   #11
Bassboss

I dunno for sure, but I think that if it's really windy that the bass will go deeper, or find better cover. as far was what to use It depends on how deep the tops of the weeds are to the water's surface. I would use a shallow crankbait, or a floating hard jerkbait, spinnerbait, buzzbait (any kind of top water really, I just like buzzbaits) if it's shllow nuff, rattle trap, and a weightless plastic, lizard, senko, or trick more for exaple. If you use a platic, than I would try to stay away from the and bullet weight heavier than 3/16oz.
Old 06-01-09, 09:42 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Some great food for thought answers here. I am of course, favoring the T-rigged plastics, but I was hoping to figure out a slow fishing technique I could use when the boat is blowin' around and I really want to keep my lure on the zone. Maybe a drop shot if I can kind of keep the tension just right and still manage to keep the boat in the same place. That is gonna be hard to do if the wind is blowing towards the bank. Definitely doable if it's blowing parallel to the bank.
Old 06-02-09, 07:00 PM   #13
Rebbasser

nofear, if you are in wind strong enough to blow the boat I'd forget the slow lure and grab a fast mover like a spinnerbait, crankbait or lipless crankbait. I've caught a lot of fish throwing one of those baits parallel to a wind blown bank. Fish turn on when the wind blows. It may not be easy to fish in the wind but it sure can be productive.
Old 06-02-09, 08:40 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Yeah...that's what I always do. But unfortunately, I'm never gonna get any better at drop-shotting and other techniques if I can't get the right weather to try them. It seems like it's always windy around here.
Old 06-02-09, 09:45 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Here, too. If you get a light wind that is when to try the dropshot. Or throw out an anchor and then throw the dropshot.
Old 06-03-09, 01:46 PM   #16
bassFishingWNY

Try the rat. Sorry, I call it the rat. It's the "moss mouse".
I love to see the bass explode out of the water when they hit it.
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.