Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-08-09, 09:26 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Finesse fishing?

All right, I've not been getting many bites on any of my other baits, like jigs, t-rigs, spinnerbait, and crank baits, I've gotten a few, but not as many. I think it's time to try to go finesse! I all most never do this, so I've been reading a few articles here and there, but nothing really got nothing more than info on split shot rigs! Right now I've got my spinning reel spooled with fresh 10lb mono, I think that's a good start, and none of the places I fish are very clear either, so I think 10lb is good, how bout you? My reel question is this. What else in there in finesse fishing other than split shot rigs, shaky heading, and drop shoting? Any tips and info about what baits to use and how to rig and use them would be great!

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 06-08-09, 09:35 AM   #2
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use like a finesse carolina rig, so it is fished on 8-10lb test, a 1/4oz weight, a small hook 1/0-2/0, and a short leader like 6-8in and I dont use a clacker(b/c everybody does) and use like a Berkley Slim Shaky Worm, in what ever color you like. When you fish the split shot, fish it with as little weight as you can b/c sometimes they will just pick it up. The smaller version of the hand pour Berkley Finesse worm is perfect. the tail on it stands straight up. if you want I can tell you a couple colors that I use
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:40 AM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
I use like a finesse carolina rig, so it is fished on 8-10lb test, a 1/4oz weight, a small hook 1/0-2/0, and a short leader like 6-8in and I dont use a clacker(b/c everybody does) and use like a Berkley Slim Shaky Worm, in what ever color you like. When you fish the split shot, fish it with as little weight as you can b/c sometimes they will just pick it up. The smaller version of the hand pour Berkley Finesse worm is perfect. the tail on it stands straight up. if you want I can tell you a couple colors that I use
Thanks sbk! Do you also use a swivel? do do you just tie the line to line?

And sure, what colors you like?
Old 06-08-09, 10:42 AM   #4
swimbaitkid

I use a small swivel, make sure your drag is set though so you dont brake anything when you set the hook or are fighting the hook, but I use Bold Bluegill, Blue Crawler, oxblood, and Midnight. I can take those couple of colors around the country and catch fish everywhere
Old 06-08-09, 10:42 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That definately depends on what you consider finesse. Finesse for me is using smaller baits. So really, downsizing anything could be considered finesse.

Like instead of using a 3/8 oz spinnerbait, check out BOOYAH's pond magic spinnerbait.

But the three you mentioned are probably the three I use the most, with dropshotting coming in first. That's by far my favorite finesse technique. Check out Kevin's dropshot video for some great info.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 10:48 AM   #6
swimbaitkid

Just go out and throw the D-shot, you have to learn it by fishin it. Dont do Everything everybody tells you how to work it or other baits b/c thats what the fish see everyday, mix it up, do something different, I hardly use any soft baits you can find at tackle stores, I use custom made molds, and I make my own colors with there own little spin that makes them different from the everyday worm. I think fish see too many baits period, so I try to do something different. show the fish something new
Old 06-08-09, 10:50 AM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks sbk and BB

By finesse fishing, I mean like small straight tail plastics that you fish slowly!
Old 06-08-09, 10:52 AM   #8
swimbaitkid

Dead stick'em too, a lot of my fish on the s-head some by just letting it sit in there face
Old 06-08-09, 11:35 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
Dead stick'em too, a lot of my fish on the s-head some by just letting it sit in there face
Hmm, thanks, I'll try that, I've never been to good at dead sticking anything, can't wait that long!
Old 06-08-09, 12:53 PM   #10
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only thing that I do when it comes to finesse fishing is to go with a weightless rigged robo or hand poured worm. I will usually t-rig it on a small drop shot style hook. I prefer ones between 4-6 inches in length.

I generally don't have the patience to wait for something to fall half a foot per second, but it has proven quite effective when other baits failed me. I will let it fall and then simply raise the rod 45 degrees and repeat. Because this bait is so light, I usually throw it on 6-8 lbs mono.
SBK is correct on dead sticking, bites will often occur when the bait does nothing by sit there.
Old 06-08-09, 01:00 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
The only thing that I do when it comes to finesse fishing is to go with a weightless rigged robo or hand poured worm. I will usually t-rig it on a small drop shot style hook. I prefer ones between 4-6 inches in length.

I generally don't have the patience to wait for something to fall half a foot per second, but it has proven quite effective when other baits failed me. I will let it fall and then simply raise the rod 45 degrees and repeat. Because this bait is so light, I usually throw it on 6-8 lbs mono.
SBK is correct on dead sticking, bites will often occur when the bait does nothing by sit there.

Thanks cass!
Old 06-08-09, 07:37 PM   #12
CCbass

When I use small 4-6 inch worms I use a 1/0 or 1 hook and a 1/16 oz weight and 10 lb. line. To me that is finess fishing at its roots.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:44 PM   #13
Oldschool
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Finesse Fishing

Finesse fishing is the opposite of power fishing. You need to learn how to use your electronics and boat control. Suggest you buy Don Iovino's book
Finesse fishing and the sonar connection http:www.//iovino.com/donbook.html
The slip shot presentation works for spinning or casting tackle. Use a mojo or Top Brass Pro-Jo style weight, Carolina keeper or pegged Glass bead for the wiehght stopper, size 1 wide gap Gamakatsu weedless finesse hook. You can adjust the weight by moving the stopper up or down the line, start with about 24" above the hook. The weight depends on how deep and windy it may be; 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz works for most applications.
Nose hook finesse worms; 5" to 6". You cast and retrieve this rig or drift and drag it. Like the split shot rig, except you can feel the bass pick up the worm, as the weight slides like a Texas rigged worm. Slow retrieve to keep the weight on the bottom.
Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 09:24 AM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Finesse fishing is the opposite of power fishing. You need to learn how to use your electronics and boat control. Suggest you buy Don Iovino's book
Finesse fishing and the sonar connection http:www.//iovino.com/donbook.html
The slip shot presentation works for spinning or casting tackle. Use a mojo or Top Brass Pro-Jo style weight, Carolina keeper or pegged Glass bead for the wiehght stopper, size 1 wide gap Gamakatsu weedless finesse hook. You can adjust the weight by moving the stopper up or down the line, start with about 24" above the hook. The weight depends on how deep and windy it may be; 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz works for most applications.
Nose hook finesse worms; 5" to 6". You cast and retrieve this rig or drift and drag it. Like the split shot rig, except you can feel the bass pick up the worm, as the weight slides like a Texas rigged worm. Slow retrieve to keep the weight on the bottom.
Thanks old school! I would learn to use my electronics and what not, BUT I've got no boat!
Old 06-10-09, 09:42 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Don't forget, when you can't buy a bite, try a double rig. Pretty much it's any rig that has two lures. Like tying a fly to the back of a popper. Or on a tv show, I saw a guy fishing a spoon for bass and he put a feathered treble hook on the line , followed by a swivel and then his leader and then the spoon. so, when he jerked the spoon off the bottom, it looked like it was a fish that was chasing something.

Try tying a minnow immitating fly on your line with a palomar like you would for a dropshot and about 8-12 inches behind, put a jig. When you work it, it looks like a crayfish going after a wounded minnow. If the bass is active, it'll probably go after the jig, if not, it'll go after the minnow fly.

BB
Old 06-10-09, 10:34 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Don't forget, when you can't buy a bite, try a double rig. Pretty much it's any rig that has two lures. Like tying a fly to the back of a popper. Or on a tv show, I saw a guy fishing a spoon for bass and he put a feathered treble hook on the line , followed by a swivel and then his leader and then the spoon. so, when he jerked the spoon off the bottom, it looked like it was a fish that was chasing something.

Try tying a minnow immitating fly on your line with a palomar like you would for a dropshot and about 8-12 inches behind, put a jig. When you work it, it looks like a crayfish going after a wounded minnow. If the bass is active, it'll probably go after the jig, if not, it'll go after the minnow fly.

BB
I use the popper fly combo when I fish for blue gill, it works well, I've also got some monster bream on the popper!

And the jig fly thing sounds really cool, I'll havta try that!
Old 06-10-09, 10:39 AM   #17
islandbass

If you cover allows it, drop down to 8 or better yet 6# test. You should notice a increase in hits and strikes. The lightest line you can get away with suits finesse fishing.
Old 06-10-09, 11:28 AM   #18
BigBassin144

IB definately hit the nail on the head. Use the lightest line you can get away with. I'm looking in to getting a new combo for finesse tactics. I'm looking at the Mojo Bass tube rod and a Daiwa Tierra 2500 spinning reel with 8lb fluorocarbon. I'd use 6lb, but we fish near a lot of rocks for smallies. I'd use it for shakey head, darterheads, small worm fishing, tubes, gobies on jigheads for smallies, etc.

BB
Old 06-11-09, 04:36 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
IB definately hit the nail on the head. Use the lightest line you can get away with. I'm looking in to getting a new combo for finesse tactics. I'm looking at the Mojo Bass tube rod and a Daiwa Tierra 2500 spinning reel with 8lb fluorocarbon. I'd use 6lb, but we fish near a lot of rocks for smallies. I'd use it for shakey head, darterheads, small worm fishing, tubes, gobies on jigheads for smallies, etc.

BB
Ya, I wish I had some rocks around here! I used 10 cause where I was fishin we have one brush pile, some pilings, and docks! So IMO, 10 is just fine, I don't think that 8 would work... to many break offs! And also the spinning reel I have (BPS mega cast , it's 2 years old) has a really sticky drag, so I think I would also get more break offs cause of that!
Old 06-11-09, 05:44 PM   #20
Oldschool
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks old school! I would learn to use my electronics and what not, BUT I've got no boat!
OK, I see you are fishing from shore in Florida, however someone else maybe reading this and has a boat. The slip shot rig works very well from shore.
Oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:06 PM   #21
aikenyounggun

ummm a wacky rig is finesse... also depending on how you are fishin a texas rig or a c-rig i consider it finesse... i even sometimes consider a jig finesse depending on how slow you are fishin it.....

you better learn how to dead stick b/c some days thats the only way to do it..... one day the only way we could catch fish (it was winter) was to pull it over a big rock on this drop off and just let it sit there..... we figured this out b/c my dad caught one after going to get a coke, and then one the next cast after he was messin with the aerator.... so we slowed down and i think all 3 of us in the boat were in the top 5
Old 06-11-09, 08:19 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
ummm a wacky rig is finesse... also depending on how you are fishin a texas rig or a c-rig i consider it finesse... i even sometimes consider a jig finesse depending on how slow you are fishin it.....

you better learn how to dead stick b/c some days thats the only way to do it..... one day the only way we could catch fish (it was winter) was to pull it over a big rock on this drop off and just let it sit there..... we figured this out b/c my dad caught one after going to get a coke, and then one the next cast after he was messin with the aerator.... so we slowed down and i think all 3 of us in the boat were in the top 5
That's pretty cool! I'm sure it's be great after a front!
Old 06-11-09, 08:20 PM   #23
superbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't forget wacky rig a senko.fish slow.Try a little cawl on a plain 1/4 ounce jig just bounce it up and down real slow back to you.It been pretty hot here fish my be out a little further than you can reach.
superbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:51 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
ummm a wacky rig is finesse... also depending on how you are fishin a texas rig or a c-rig i consider it finesse... i even sometimes consider a jig finesse depending on how slow you are fishin it.
There ya go. That's the other side of finess fishing. Fishing anything, but fishing it slower, even painfully slow sometimes. Now around here, for the most part finesse takes on the other meaning. Which, of course, is to downsize. You can do this with anything, we even do it musky fishing, granted smaller lures are the 4-6" ones, lol.

BB
Old 06-11-09, 09:26 PM   #25
Bassboss

Thanks SB and BB!

That's a great Idea super bass! I'll give it a whirl!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.