Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-08-09, 11:55 AM   #1
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl
Talking Make your own rods, lures, etc..

I'm sure ya'll already know this, but my friends from Georgia who've always fished and been around fishing had never heard of Cabela's. I LOVE Cabela's! They have several free catalogs that you can have sent to your mailbox. I ordered 6 of them. One is the 2009 tackle craft catalog where you can make your own fishing gear. I'm really not experienced enough to know anything about it but I thought some of ya'll veteran fisherman would find it interesting. Here's the link guys.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...tOverride.y=12
Old 06-08-09, 12:04 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Personally, I think Cabela's rod and lure making stuff is over priced and not that great in the quality department. If you ever get into lure making check out www.jannsnetcraft.com It's where I get all my stuff. They have a much better selection than Cabela's as well since cabelas mostly deals with lures and not lure building.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 12:15 PM   #3
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Personally, I think Cabela's rod and lure making stuff is over priced and not that great in the quality department. If you ever get into lure making check out www.jannsnetcraft.com It's where I get all my stuff. They have a much better selection than Cabela's as well since cabelas mostly deals with lures and not lure building.

BB

Yeah, like I said. I don't know anything about it. I was just trying to be helpful. I really like a lot of other things they have. This is my first time checking out the fishing stuff.
Old 06-08-09, 12:24 PM   #4
BigBassin144

I think BPS has a better selection of bass stuff than Cabela's (At least around here anyways), but Cabela's does have some stuff that I just can never get at BPS. Most of our other species lures come from cabela's too.
BB
Old 06-08-09, 06:25 PM   #5
keithdog

It's a real thrill to catch a beautiful bass on a lure or rod that you have made yourself. I got my supplie from Cabellas for years via mail order. They were the only folks who sold the stuff back then. Now there are several outlets for purchasing rod and lure components. But Cabelas still has some nice stuff. Cakalaki, if you want to start making lures or rods, or are just currious, I suggest going to YouTube where you can find oodles and oodles of instructional videos for this kind of thing. I make spinnerbaits, and I really enjoy it. But one word of warning, it gets addictive!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 08:05 PM   #6
bamabassman

cabelas is good if oyu look for deals, bpa can be a bit pricey too. they all can. gotta look for the deals everywhere. unless the monkey is really pounding you on the head,lol.
Old 06-09-09, 06:50 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I order from Cabela's fairly often. They carry some items Bass Pro doesn't. I especially like their tournament series rods and they also have a very wide selection of leadhead jigs including oversized hooks that are great for tying hair jigs. I also make very effective worm trolling harnesses for walleye made mostly with Cabella's components.

Another great catalog along with Cabela's Tackle Craft is the catalog put out by Stamina, Inc. They also carry quality components.

Good Post Cakalaki Girl....
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 03:40 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I forgot about stamina. Netcraft puts out a catalog too. I, like I said before, usually get my stuff from net craft since they're right here in Toledo.

BB
Old 06-09-09, 05:35 PM   #9
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think BPS has a better selection of bass stuff than Cabela's (At least around here anyways),
Boy aint that the truth, I almost never make the drive to cabela's anymore... Bass Pro has a much better selection, and it is only about an hour away.

Ryan
Old 06-10-09, 12:57 PM   #10
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Mac

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.