Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-29-12, 08:45 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default diggin these swimbaits

well i bought a pack of swimbaits about a month or so ago to try them out. never really used them before. (also purchased the hooks as well.) so i tie it on & threw it a few times each time im out. each time i do, im watching this thing swimming as it gets closer and something just doesnt seem right. the tail is kickin & doin what its supposed to , i guess.
just not as good as i would have hoped.then im thinking , maybe it was my retrieve? maybe i had it rigged wrong and not realized it? so lately ive been reading up on em and watching some youtube vids on fishing these things.
well partly my retrieve was incorrect, i was reeling in much too quickly!! but in all the videos i was watching everyone was using these hollow bodies or spilt belly swimbaits,& the ones i bought were much harder. some generic Cabelas brand but they looked cool thats why i bought em. well yesterday while i was up at the tackle store i saw these Berkley powerbait split belly swimbaits . WOW what a difference, these things swim waaaaay better than those cabelas ones hands down & dont get any more realistic looking either. even caught a 9" striper on it today, Never caught a striper before. once the water warms up i can see the bass going crazy for this thing!!
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 06:55 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Those types of swim baits can be deadly. They have been good pre spawn baits for me in recent years. Pike love them too!
Old 04-30-12, 10:59 AM   #3
the pyromaniac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've caught brown trout to 5 pounds, rainbow trout to 3 pounds, and common carp to 17 pounds on these kinds of swimbaits, in addition to the bass.
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 07:35 AM   #4
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

My friend LOVES those lol, has anyone ever tried the storm wild eye shad? I have caught a lot of fish on those...I recomend the brown/clear ones with red eyes and the stripes down the side.
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 12:52 AM   #5
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Berkley Havoc Grass Pig is another good one that is a lot cheaper than most hollow bellies but you can do the same things with them for the most part. The tail doesn't wag as much as with the hollow baits but the fish really seem to like the subtle action of them.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.