Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-15-12, 05:10 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How do you fish a common laydown

Here's a common piece of structure that we all come across - a tree has fallen into the water with it's roots still on shore and it's limbs stretching out into the water. What's your favortie technique?
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:15 PM   #2
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Stay back at first and hit the edges and then front with a shallow square bill crank. Then, close the distance and work the crap out of it with a jig. Every nook and cranny.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:51 PM   #3
Dave63

Run a spinnerbait through it, around it and over it. Then TX rig the trunk and limbs thoroughly.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 10:00 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like working a spinnerbait around the perimiter, then pitchin a jig or t rigged crature bait like a beaver right up into the shaded areas making contact with the wood.
Old 05-15-12, 10:16 PM   #5
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not to over-complicate a simple question but...........for me it all depends.........how deep is the water? is it all by itself or one of many? and on and on.

I like to twitch a rapala alongside. I like to run a spinnerbait along the length. I like to pitch a jig to the holes. I like um.
Old 05-15-12, 10:22 PM   #6
bassinbob

I like to get up as close as possible without disturbing any of the branches. Take a Strike King Wild Thing Texas rigged and just yo-yo it up and down through the branches. I like to start out at the deepest edge of the tree and work my way around the sides. If no hits then I'll pull away and use cranks and spinnerbaits and work the whole tree. I have found fishing this way gives me more and better fish then probing with cranks and spinnerbaits first.
Old 05-15-12, 10:46 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

At the start of the day I will approach it from the down wind side if at all possible. This will allow me to keep the boat in position a lot easier while I pick it apart. I won't get into what baits I would use because that will change from day to day, or even hour to hour as the sun gets higher. At the start of the day you will want to fish every part of the laydown to try and figure out if the fish are holding in a certain part of the tres. Some times they will be at the end of the tree in the deepest water, other times they might but up tight against the trunk of the tree in shallower water. If you catch a few fish off of different trees you can hopefully get a pattern together if the fish were in the same place on all the trees, then you can save a lot of time by focusing on this part of each tree.
Old 05-15-12, 10:59 PM   #8
Bassboss

Start crussing down a bank fishing the outside with either a spinnerbait, crankbait, or jig. Then go back to the beginning and dissect it from the outside with a jig!
Old 05-16-12, 01:32 AM   #9
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Weightless t-rigged stick worm or beaver/craw-like bait. Cast from a medium to short distance away, and slowly hop it out of the strike zone.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 11:11 AM   #10
DaveW731

Start with a spinnerbait cast past the likely strikezone, then pulled through bumping branches and helicoptering into pockets as much as possible, IF I can hit the water without being afraid of spooking the fish. Then follow with a weightless Senko wacky hooked (weedless) and move it slowly over each branch and let it settle to as close to bottom as possible.

If I can't use a spinnerbait, I go to a T-rigged weightless Senko fished pretty fast, then follow with the wacky.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 02:24 PM   #11
lilmule

Lasso it as those seasoned cypress logs are worth money
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 03:28 PM   #12
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfisherkid View Post
Well I either throw a gallon of arsenic at the tree then wait 5 minutes or if I'm in a hurry to cover some water I'll throw a stick of dynamite and wait 5 seconds.
That's so funny you should have kept it to yourself, as we aren't capable of handling such humor.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 06:44 PM   #13
Vegasspider

I agree with Iowa the most with the squre bill suggestion to start with. You can cover a ton of water fast. After I am satisfied I hit all of structure under water, then I would use a spinner bait to draw them out.

If the electronics are showing fist there, I would start first with the spinner bait around the perimeter and maybe up the middle depends on what it looks like. The reason why is, the ones that don't come out after it will retreat back to the structure, then it would be reverse of starting with a square bill first. Get it in there and start making some noise with it to get the reaction going. Man the more I think about it the more all of the suggestions make sense depending on the conditions. If I were tournament fishing and had a limit and looking to upgrade, then I would stick with my suggestion. Again so much to consider, water clarity, temp, has anyone else been on it etc. For me I am always thinking the best fish as fast as possible. If I had all day to pick it apart I would probably go from power fishing to drop shotting if possible.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 06:53 PM   #14
wallywallace

If I got that lucky while fishing the shore, Id try everything o got lol. Na id go threw ot with a spinner bait, then a square bill them rape it with a jig
Old 05-20-12, 08:57 PM   #15
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

Start far away (spinnerbait). Then get up close (pitch a jig)
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 09:10 PM   #16
Crankbait

I like Kennethdaysales answer….i think hitting a laydown depends on the fish…..my self I love running my crank down the middle and than off to one side……but that doesn’t always produce and that’s when the ugly otter comes out. Sometimes it will take hitting a few to see where those hawgs are staging iin the laydown. Are they tight to where the laydown enters the water or are they more on the outer branches. Maybe the larger bass are more toward the top of the tree or in deeper water ……you don’t always know at first….but hey isn’t that what gets the adrenaline going!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.