Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-13, 06:27 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Hey! What's your jig man???

Thats right. I thought it would be interresting to see among jig fisherman, what our favorites are. Is it a wide spread, or is there a jig we pretty much all like? Now, to be fair, I am NOT including private made jigs. Some members in here make awsome jigs, or should I say, used to. I am talking about jigs one would normally by from a tackle dealer. And I am not asking about color. I know that varies somewhat from region to region, with some colors universaly liked.
Myself, I am fond of the Dirty Jigs. They seem very well made with good components. I also have several Strike King Denny Brauer Premier Pro jigs that I have caught a ton of bass on. This year, I bought a couple Buckeye Mop jigs to try. For years, I've read many possitive things about them, so thought I would give them a try this year. Can't wait to try them out!
So hey! Whats your favorite jigs?
Old 03-17-13, 07:14 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I picked up a couple of grass masters to try out. My other jig that I own (total of 3 LOL) is a strike king.
Old 03-17-13, 07:52 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith, I know you're not looking for this, but the only jigs I've used to this point are ones from Kory (carolina-rig-01). I just started using jigs for the first time ever midway through the 2011 season, and they have been my second best bass-catching lure with just over 10% of my bass in both 2011 and 2012.

When my fairly small supply of Kory's jigs runs out, I have a supply of NuJigs (fka Alpha Jigs) from NuTech that I just purchased this off-season that I will turn to and see how they perform. I have read a lot of good things about them.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 08:08 PM   #4
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

Primarley use the Pro Brush Puppy jigs, I seem to get better hook ups and loose less fish with those wide gap hooks.
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 08:28 PM   #5
Bassboss

Favorite jig has got to be an All Terrain A.T jig. Caught some real nice bass on these jigs in the past, they just flat out catch em. Good hook, and nice head design.

Got a couple terminator jigs this winter... gotta a nice banana shaped head that looks like will come through the grass real well! Looking forward to trying them this year!
Old 03-17-13, 08:29 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Keith, I know you're not looking for this, but the only jigs I've used to this point are ones from Kory (carolina-rig-01). I just started using jigs for the first time ever midway through the 2011 season, and they have been my second best bass-catching lure with just over 10% of my bass in both 2011 and 2012.

When my fairly small supply of Kory's jigs runs out, I have a supply of NuJigs (fka Alpha Jigs) from NuTech that I just purchased this off-season that I will turn to and see how they perform. I have read a lot of good things about them.
Some day, if Kory starts up production again, I plan to get several!
Old 03-17-13, 08:50 PM   #7
joedog

Go to's are probably the Terminator Finesse Jigs, (old style) 1/4 oz. or 3/8 oz.
Use for swim jigging as well as normal.
Skirted/unskirted depending on trailer choice.

If tree's are involved at all...NuJigs period.They continually amaze me.
But I have some 'Big Ed' jigs that I use in rivers and moving water. Also use 1/8 t0 1/4 oz. Shakey Heads from Strike King here too. Rarely skirted cause I tend to use action trailers in moving water so skirts 'can' actually hinder. But if dragging a craw will skirt.
Old 03-17-13, 09:33 PM   #8
bamabassman

THUNDERSTRUCK and CABIN FEVER jigs are all i have now. and i think anthony and kory MIGHT wanna get their molds warmed up pretty soon, lol!!!
Old 03-17-13, 10:46 PM   #9
nobass

i picked some new ones up at the fish and boat show made local by a company call sneeds want to give them a try this year.
Old 03-18-13, 04:36 PM   #10
IowaBasser

Strike King Tour Grade Swim Jigs - I love the little wire bait keeper!
Old 03-18-13, 05:43 PM   #11
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Dirty Jigs....
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 05:46 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
THUNDERSTRUCK and CABIN FEVER jigs are all i have now. and i think anthony and kory MIGHT wanna get their molds warmed up pretty soon, lol!!!
John, I've been wanting to for a while; I just don't have the time for it.

I used Booyah jigs before I started to make my own. Now 98% of the jigs in my box are mine.

BB
Old 03-18-13, 08:39 PM   #13
bassinbob

Buckeye and Eakins Jewel.
Old 03-20-13, 04:56 PM   #14
3dkicker

I like Woo's Stinger Jig (which is no longer made) but Dave's Tournament has one that is similar except he doesn't do them in black. Pic doesn't have the EWG hook that the
Stinger had.

Here's my trailer too.

I also really like Kaotik's Gorilla Jig which is a football jig. The Pumpkin/green flake is a sweet looking jig. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to.
Old 03-20-13, 10:06 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

After owning a jig company for several years, I came to the conclusion that although we all make small tweaks to our jigs to make them to our liking. Pretty much the quality, design, and components in jigs don't vary a whole lot. Not saying some jigs aren't better crafted than others, or that some jigs aren't made with better attention to detail, because certainly some jigs are just built better than others. But when you get down to it, there really aren't too many fresh ideas in the heavily populated jig market. The exception to this is the Nujig that Dean talked. Since I started using these jigs I have honestly been blown away with all the thought that went into the design of this jig. It's safe to say that Nutech didn't just re-invent the wheel, but they made it better. It's more weedless than any other jig I have ever used, although all of us jig builders claim our jigs to be more weedless than the next. On top of the weedless qualities, the camming surfaces built into the jigheads enable the jig to rotate into the upright position in the mouth of the fish, regardless of what direction it was facing when the fish ate it. This means that almost every fish you stick with this jig will be stuck in the roof of the mouth......almost without fail. The unique weedguards actually pin the jig in the mouth of the fish and make it extremely rare to lose a fish. I really don't think anglers realize how many fish they miss on a jig just because their jig is laying on its side when you set the hook, and this problem is solved with the Nujig.
Old 03-21-13, 10:19 PM   #16
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
After owning a jig company for several years, I came to the conclusion that although we all make small tweaks to our jigs to make them to our liking. Pretty much the quality, design, and components in jigs don't vary a whole lot. Not saying some jigs aren't better crafted than others, or that some jigs aren't made with better attention to detail, because certainly some jigs are just built better than others. But when you get down to it, there really aren't too many fresh ideas in the heavily populated jig market. The exception to this is the Nujig that Dean talked. Since I started using these jigs I have honestly been blown away with all the thought that went into the design of this jig. It's safe to say that Nutech didn't just re-invent the wheel, but they made it better. It's more weedless than any other jig I have ever used, although all of us jig builders claim our jigs to be more weedless than the next. On top of the weedless qualities, the camming surfaces built into the jigheads enable the jig to rotate into the upright position in the mouth of the fish, regardless of what direction it was facing when the fish ate it. This means that almost every fish you stick with this jig will be stuck in the roof of the mouth......almost without fail. The unique weedguards actually pin the jig in the mouth of the fish and make it extremely rare to lose a fish. I really don't think anglers realize how many fish they miss on a jig just because their jig is laying on its side when you set the hook, and this problem is solved with the Nujig.
I wonder how soon we will be seeing knock offs of the Nujig flood the market?
Old 03-22-13, 07:22 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I wonder how soon we will be seeing knock offs of the Nujig flood the market?
That's a good question. Right now they are flying somewhat under the radar, but there is no doubt in my mind that they will become a big name in jig fishing. And once that happens to any bait it seems like everyone and their brother will try and make a knock off. Look at what happened with the sweet beaver.
Old 03-22-13, 10:49 PM   #18
3dkicker

Interesting but a little on the expensive side. $3 for the Naked head and $3.49 for the pro series without the skirt.

https://nutechlures.com/index.php/naked-head.html
Old 03-22-13, 11:55 PM   #19
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Skinnybear jigs, evolution jigs, and of course booyah
Old 03-24-13, 11:16 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Interesting but a little on the expensive side. $3 for the Naked head and $3.49 for the pro series without the skirt.

https://nutechlures.com/index.php/naked-head.html
The price per jig is more, but you actually save money in the long run because of how weedless these jigs are. You just won't lose near as many Nujigs.
Old 03-26-13, 01:58 PM   #21
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
The price per jig is more, but you actually save money in the long run because of how weedless these jigs are. You just won't lose near as many Nujigs.
ditto

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 02:50 PM   #22
3dkicker

How well do they work in rocky areas like rip rap??? That seems to be the area that I lose jigs the most. They don't look like they'd do any better than what I use.....
Old 03-26-13, 06:46 PM   #23
joedog

Good.
I have lost one NuJig period. I've thrown them at least 300+ casts.
I did everything in my power to loose them.
Rocks, boulders, trees, lay downs and yes, thanks to Bo's videos, into trees laying on shore.
Again only lost one.

That one got WEDGED in boulders dragging it across rock, boulders and rip rap.
I was shore busting or else with the ability to change angle I could of easily popped it out.
I flat out would crawl it over boulders and would let it slide down into every crack and crevice. I WANTED TO SNAG IT. Tryed to loose another in same rocks....and couldn't.

I bought in PURLY for the SNAG RESISTANCE.

Now I can't catch fish or even loose the lure.
Top that Bama.

Pro Reel brought this to my/our attention and I thank him for that. A crazy guy from Molly's Farms sold me my first ones.
Bo I thank you for sticking with your great idea through A LOT of challenges.
I have NO FEAR of throwing these jigs into ANYTHING.
Thank You Bo!.

I should mention, I've caught dozens of bass on them.
Some out of places that were good at eating 3-4 jigs an outing.
Old 03-26-13, 07:58 PM   #24
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Good.
Rocks, boulders, trees, lay downs and yes, thanks to Bo's videos, into trees laying on shore.
Again only lost one.

I was shore busting or else with the ability to change angle I could of easily popped it out.
I flat out would crawl it over boulders and would let it slide down into every crack and crevice. I WANTED TO SNAG IT. Tryed to loose another in same rocks....and couldn't.

Top that Bama.

Pro Reel brought this to my/our attention and I thank him for that. A crazy guy from Molly's Farms sold me my first ones.
Thank You Bo!.

they work great in vegetation also.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 10:07 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Good.
Again only lost one.

Top that Bama.

Thank You Bo!.

Isn't it amazing, all the stuff these jigs will come through? I spent a whole day 2 Fridays ago pre-fishing for a tournament. I just knew the fish would eat a jig and I wasted a lot of time trying to force feed them a Nujig. Turns out we got on a pretty descent jerkbait and Wiggle Wart pattern but I still through a jig quite a bit on Saturday during the tournament because I just knew there would be some good dock fish that would eat a jig. It was to no avail, but I got a great chance to drag the jig over dock cables, cross members, boat lifts, brush piles, rock piles, laydowns, and anything else you could find in Grand Lake. This same jig now has two tournaments and 1 hard day of pre-fishing under its belt and still looks like new. This jig just doesn't hang up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.