Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-14, 07:39 PM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jerkbait Rod

I want to get a good jerkbait rod and would like suggestions.
I want a 6'8" or so... I've recently gotten the jerkbait bug and would like a technique specific rod for this... Baitcasting only... as I have a great spinning rod for them.
Please indicate maker and model. Thanks, Sam
Old 01-02-14, 08:16 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't get too caught up in a technique specific jerkbait rod, at least in my opinion. You'll want a rod that is short enough to allow you to snap the rod tip down without hitting the water, and a tip that is soft enough to allow you to throw a fairly light bait that isn't very aerodynamic (jerkbaits with a weight transfer system aren't that bad but baits like Rogues are tougher to cast). I have a few of the 7' medium Falcon Original rods that are great for Rogues and they are actually my crankbait rods for small crankbaits like Bandit 100s and Lucky Craft 0.5s. I have a 6'6" MH Falcon Cara that I like on jerkbaits that have more action and require sharper jerks like Visions and Pointers. It still has a pretty soft tip but it has more backbone which helps give the bait more action. Also I fish the Wohali tournament every year and when you sign up you get a few of their rods. I have a few of their 7'MH rods and a few of their 6'6" MH rods and all of them make great jerkbait rods. Although you probably aren't familiar with Wohali Outdoors, they make a pretty descent stick for not much money.
Old 01-03-14, 01:19 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have a rod specifically for jerk baits, because I don't fish them very often. When I do, I use a 6'9" M/mod (graphite) crank bait rod and 8# - 10# co-poly line (for bass). I like a M/mod for most treble hook bait presentations.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 10:46 AM   #4
keithdog

I fish a lot with jerk baits after ice out, and I use the same rod that I use for small crank baits. It's a StCroix 6'6" Med Heavy/Moderate Crank bait specific rod. I couldn't be happier! Casts the jerk baits a good long distance, and has the right action for treble hooked baits.
Old 01-09-14, 05:13 PM   #5
bassinbob

How much do you want to spend?
Old 01-20-14, 05:38 PM   #6
Old Hooker

I use a 7' M/F rod for jerkbaits. Then later in the year I use it for lipless cranks. A 7:1 reel is used too.
Old 01-20-14, 06:14 PM   #7
woody

I'm also looking for a really good jerkbait rod. I do know that I want a 6'6" M/F trigger rod. I just haven't figured out the maker yet.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 09:24 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I've got a suggestion for you Mark... Kistler KLX. I like my older Kister LTX rods and I think Kistler just may be on track again with this line of rods. Gary Loomis North Fork Composite blank, with micro guides & either a split or full cork handle, is getting some really good reviews and is very reasonably priced (for a Kistler anyway).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 09:49 PM   #9
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've got a suggestion for you Mark... Kistler KLX. I like my older Kister LTX rods and I think Kistler just may be on track again with this line of rods. Gary Loomis North Fork Composite blank, with micro guides & either a split or full cork handle, is getting some really good reviews and is very reasonably priced (for a Kistler anyway).

Those do sound like some quality sticks. I just got to wait for the bait monkey to quit showing off his loot!

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 03:27 AM   #10
3dkicker

I have a Shimano Crucial TC4 rod that I think would work real well for jerkbaits. Check them out at BPS (if they still have them). That's where I tested mine. Bought it elsewhere with a gift card and got free shipping.....
Old 01-28-14, 09:05 AM   #11
mikechell

My recommendations for a jerk bait rod:
If you are going to truly fish it as a jerk bait ... rapid, repeated jerks all the way back to the boat ... then you'll want a rod with a long handle. You'll be better with the leverage against your arm. Using your wrist will become painful after a short time.
You also want some "backbone". Often, you'll never feel the take ... you'll just have a fish on the next "jerk". If you are using too fast a rod, the give in the rod might not set the hook but will give the bass a reason to spit the lure.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 09:13 AM   #12
rangerrider
BassFishin.Com Member

I really like the falcon weightless worm for vision 110's , pointer's and mcstick's. I like a shorter handle and a quick tip.The key in cold water is having the patience to let the bait pause for 10 seconds or so before you twitch it again..
rangerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 11:23 AM   #13
Tavery5

I like to fish a rod somewhere between 6'8" and 6'10" any longer and I have issues with slapping the water or side of the boat as I work the bait. I work the bait with a straight down snapping action of the rod to impart action on the bait, for this I need a rod with a shorter handle, otherwise the butt end of the rod gets hung up in my heavier cold weather clothing. For power and action of the rod, in depends of the bait, but most baits like the LC 100SP and MB 110 I use a MH / Moderate Fast rod, I like the Moderate Fast action because it is stiff enough to give good action to the bait and get a hookset at the end of a long cast, it is also soft enough that it does not rip hooks out if the fish makes a surge at the boat. I fish jerkbaits on light FC line somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10# test it allows the bait to have the best action IMO. I like a reel with somewhere around 24 IPT as it best fits my style of fishing and allows me to manage the slack line with comfort. I have tried fishing jerkbaits on spinning gear but did not like it at all, I had issues with slack line loops forming in the spool and bad tangles.

I have a St.Croix Premier rod that I often use to fish this technique.
Old 02-09-14, 11:02 PM   #14
SaminVa

looking to spend between 100 150.. I don't want to be slapping the water with it..
I have the patience to fish them slow... just wanted to see what the recommendations are.. looking for a fast tip..
Old 02-10-14, 07:47 AM   #15
Tavery5

There are a couple of newer rods in this price range that I would take a look at. The Daiwa Tatula rods have a nice build and components as does the 13 Fishing Envy.
Old 02-19-14, 10:03 AM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I can't recommend it, but I'm dying to try out the Dobyns 705cb I picked up during the black friday sale

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.